Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

3B next year - crazy idea thread

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

So this is really more of a fantasy thread since I'm pretty sure the Twins plan for next year is to have Sano start at third and if/when he can't handle the position, move him to DH and give the UI (probably Escobar) the majority of starts at third. And that makes sense and I'm not really against it. BUT, what would other options be?

The defensive metrics didn't love Escobar or Sano but both sorta played third base to a draw. They weren't horrible but they probably aren't getting better and might get substantially worse.  

Crazy idea 1 - So what about Mike's idea of moving Dozier to third? That frees up an infield spot for Nick Gordon. Dozier's bat would play at third. I'm not sure if his arm would. Sano to DH full time.

Crazy idea 2 - move Rosario to third. I know, crazy, right. But he's certainly athletic enough and played 2b a bit in the minors. His arm is strong enough and if Pete Rose could make the move, then maybe he could? I don't think, after some reps, his defense would be a disaster although it might not be good. As rangy as he's been in LF, the metrics don't like him (I have my own theory on why) so we wouldn't necessarily be hurting our OF defense, esp if we replaced him with someone who might have good on-base skills eventually (Granite? Wade? FA slugger? probably not Grossman). Sano DH's full time.

Crazy idea 3 - Polanco slides over to third, Gordon is called up. At the beginning of the year I thought this was probably going to happen but Polanco is better than I thought so maybe they don't want to move him out of the MI.(And this and CI#1 suppose that Gordon is ML ready which he might not yet be). Sano DH full time.

Crazy idea 4 - just give it to Escobar. Let him have a full season to become a ML starter and see what he can do with it. He has some pop. He'll be 29 next year, does he have any improvement left? If he struggles after a few months, you see where Gordon is and what options he could add.

• Oldgoat_MN and h2oface like this

#2 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

I like crazy ideas. Probably realistic to say, though, that there is no way in which a guy who posted pretty mediocre stats at the plate in AA this season is going to start on a MLB roster next spring. Which is fine. Gordon is only 21 years old. Give him all or at least most of 2018 and maybe he'll be ready. 

I enjoy the idea of Rosario to 3B as a crazy idea, if only for the novelty. Granite might be an On Base Machine, but he has yet to show that. We don't have anyone else ready yet. Wade had a good year in AA, but I would want to see him do some real damage to AAA pitching before bringing him up.

Fun stuff!

• SF Twins Fan likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#3 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Crazy idea: Get Sano's weight down this offseason and keep him at third where his value is far higher than it is at DH.

He has considerable potential at third. Everybody should hope that he stays there.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, BigSkyTwinsFan and 10 others like this

#4 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

I like the out of the box thinking.  Moving Rosario to 3rd is interesting, but very unlikely.  Option 4 to me seems not only plausible, but a good idea.  If you look at Escobar's career, he has posted an OPS+ of at least 100 several times, has shown some pop in his bat, he just hasn't received consistent at bats, some of which are his own fault.  I think his defense would improve if he was able to focus on one position instead of multiple positions.  He could just be a late bloomer similar to Dozier, but not to his level.

• caninatl04 likes this

#5 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

Fun thinking...but how plausible?I say either A) Start Sano the majority of the time and retain Esco for when he DH's.B) Sign Moustakas if he hits FA and move Sano to DH full time.

#6 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Crazy idea: Get Sano's weight down this offseason and keep him at third where his value is far higher than it is at DH.

He has considerable potential at third. Everybody should hope that he stays there.

Yes.

Playing him at third base makes the best use of his talents. He's got the arm to play third. (Keep in mind he was a shortstop as a young teenager, probably because of that.) His glove work improved this year over last year. His range will be acceptable if he keeps his weight down. And the glove and range should improve with coaching, experience, and hard work.

• ashburyjohn, tarheeltwinsfan, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Crazy idea number N+1: Move Mauer to third, like we've always said he could do. He won't have huge range but he's nimble for everything he can reach.

• USAFChief, Platoon and GP830 like this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,020 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Crazy idea number N+1: Move Mauer to third, like we've always said he could do. He won't have huge range but he's nimble for everything he can reach.

He has the arm too.I don't know why 3B was never tried when he moved off of C.

• USAFChief, GP830 and lukeduke1980 like this

#9 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Agreed-- this should have been step 1-- his arm plays there, and we would've retained some of his athleticism at a defensively premium position.

#10 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Crazy idea 5- Todd Frazier? RH power bat needed for the lineup. Could maybe be had on 1 yr deal.

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Crazy Idea #negative-one: Move Ryan Pressly to third. He's got the arm for it, and his fastball comes in nice and straight.

• Steve Lein, LimestoneBaggy, BigSkyTwinsFan and 11 others like this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#12 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

I don't like the idea of Rosario at third, he just had a very good year with the bat, lets not mess with that by moving him to a new defensive position. 

Mauer at third this late in his career is not going to happen, especially as good as he was at first this year.

• spinowner and caninatl04 like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

He has the arm too. I don't know why 3B was never tried when he moved off of C.

I was posting "move Mauer to third" on BYTO way before he got hurt. He probably should have moved there in the minors.

Now it's probably too late.

As for the rest of the OP, why are we moving Sano off third again?

And if they do, Dozier doesn't have the arm, Rosario is an outfielder, and Escobar doesn't improve the position.  

• spinowner and caninatl04 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

I was posting "move Mauer to third" on BYTO way before his great-grandpappy was born.

FTFY

• USAFChief, snepp, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

I like the out of the box thinking.  Moving Rosario to 3rd is interesting, but very unlikely.  Option 4 to me seems not only plausible, but a good idea.  If you look at Escobar's career, he has posted an OPS+ of at least 100 several times, has shown some pop in his bat, he just hasn't received consistent at bats, some of which are his own fault.  I think his defense would improve if he was able to focus on one position instead of multiple positions.  He could just be a late bloomer similar to Dozier, but not to his level.

Having Rosario try to play third probably makes more sense than having Sano try to play RF.

You would have to be doing that NOW though.I'm also not sure Rosario has the footwork or hands to play third.

#16 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

I have no idea what kind of clauses one can add to the kind of contract a player in Sano's position ("team control"?).

Can they add weight clauses? If so, how about $1,000 for each game where he weighs under 260 (or $5,000 per week). $160,000 is a nice bump for someone making, what, $585,000 a year?

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

I have no idea what kind of clauses one can add to the kind of contract a player in Sano's position ("team control"?).

Can they add weight clauses? If so, how about $1,000 for each game where he weighs under 260 (or $5,000 per week). $160,000 is a nice bump for someone making, what, $585,000 a year?

Probably not. However, plate appearances is a totally acceptable incentive for a contract. That involves doing what is needed to stay in the lineup.
  • Sconnie likes this

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

The most likely thing to happen, which you did not list as an option, is that the Twins keep doing what they are doing: Sano stays at third and another unusual injury happens.

#19 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

The most likely thing to happen, which you did not list as an option, is that the Twins keep doing what they are doing: Sano stays at third and another unusual injury happens.

Quoting the original: I'm pretty sure the Twins plan for next year is to have Sano start at third and if/when he can't
  • gunnarthor likes this

#20 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Long term, Twins need a RH power bat and a great fielding 3B.That's what championship teams do.

Never hurts to sign a 3B of some quality, early in the off-season so Sano-man has a chance to gear up for some competition, lose some weight, be the stud everyone is hoping for.

That would be the best $10M the Twins ever spent if it got Sano-man motivated.

Twins were lucky with position players and injuries this year.I would imagine next year will be way different.