Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Used to be, time of game didn't bother me.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

I was just about to post this in the other thread.They're already doing it in the playoffs - cut the between-innings time down and run split screen commercials if you absolutely have to.  

Baseball is not a sport that demands your constant TV attention like football or hockey, you can walk away for a few minutes and catch up later.If the commercial time is so precious....fine, but then shave down how much it impacts the game play.

There are about 11 minutes of action in an NFL football game. Now that is demanding attention, eh?

https://qz.com/15057...inutes-of-play/

The NFL’s popularity is all the more remarkable when you inspect the fare it has to offer each week on television. An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

Edited by h2oface, 20 January 2018 - 04:49 AM.

#62 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

Good discussion and important.Since I am not sleeping well and waiting for my knee replacement to allow me to get a good night sleep again (only 5 weeks) I think I will take advantage of sleep depredation to express my angst about what has happened since the fifties when I rooted for the Milwaukee Braves and the sixties when we celebrated having the Twins:

1. I will not comment about commercial breaks - without that revenue the sport also changes, but on the field we have gotten so analytical that the coaches and catchers and pitchers have to have a conversation between each pitch - yuck.Nothing better than seeing an out of shape coach dressed in baseball uniform waddle out to the mound, or catchers standing on the mound talking to their gloves.The old day it was see it hit it, or throw a good pitch and get them out.
  2. ​In the fifties the Braves had Don McMahon as their reliever.I cannot even remember any other reliever and I used to have their roster memorized.We could see a Ryne Duren or Hoyt Wilhelm on various teams but we did not have a bullpen that took up have the roster and had to be manipulated with 10 day injury reserves.The pitcher started and pitched - even into extra innings.How did they avoid all the arm injuries when there were four in the rotation and pitchers like Warren Spahn would throw over 300 innings every year? I would be happy with a relief pitcher rule change - either you limit each team to four pitchers per nine inning game (including the starter) or you only allow a change in pitcher between innings.Boy is it exciting to see a relief pitcher trotting into the mount, then getting to throw 8 pitches even though he just got done throwing 30 in the pen, or the warm up delay where the pitching coach and catcher have tea time on the mound while the reliever warms up, then leave and we get the manager wandering back out to make the change.Talk about suspense!
  3. If we need conversations with catcher and pitcher, move into the electronic age and give them a blue tooth.Quarterbacks can get their information through their helmets, I am sure we can figure out something with the catcher/pitcher.
  4. If we put a clock on the pitcher (and we need to) make the batters box a prison.Step in and you either hit or walk your way out.None of those tricky step outs that cancel a pitch.
  5. Seventh Inning stretch?Why. Artificial surfaces have made this obsolete.Singing take me out to the ball game, adding America the Beautiful...move on.If we want more music do it while the commercial is on.
  6. Another necessary thing is the automatic strike zone.We cannot let the umpires call anything else without replay, why don't we use the technology we have for balls and strikes.What will be lose?Players spitting tobacco at Umpires, managers staging mini dramas? I hate the replays in all the sports.Football has gotten so ridiculous I do not even know what a catch is.Call the play and move on. 

Thanks for letting me have my morning vent.  

#63 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,217 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

There are about 11 minutes of action in an NFL football game. Now that is demanding attention, eh?

https://qz.com/15057...inutes-of-play/

The NFL’s popularity is all the more remarkable when you inspect the fare it has to offer each week on television. An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

I suppose it depends on what you count as "action".Baseball might have a similarly paltry number if we only count the time that culminates an at-bat.It may also depend on how much you enjoy the between moments action.  

For me, I'm much more interested in watching the formations, substitutions, and pre-snap activity of a football game than I am with all the things pitchers, catchers, and hitters do between pitches.(Or even in watching many of the non-eventful pitching, which is why I think the "second screen" remark is apt for many)

But I would bet if we took a poll from sports fans about the sports that are the most action packed vs. dull, baseball would overwhelmingly win the "dull" category.Which is a reality I think the league recognizes and actions like this are trying to fix.

• h2oface likes this

#64 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Baseball keeps blaming the hitters, pitchers, and managers for the fact that games are longer.

It's the TELEVISION COMMERCIALS, which are particularly brutal for featured games (e.g., the playoffs). When FoxSports takes over a market, the games instantly get longer. Hm, I wonder why?

Baseball will never address the issue the right way because this is how teams (and networks) make their money.

The conversation is noise. Baseball will never fix it, baseball will always blame someone else.

#65 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

It's the TELEVISION COMMERCIALS

I posted a time-of-game study in the other thread, but it seems relevant here too.

http://twinsdaily.co...osals/?p=707515

• Craig Arko likes this

#66 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,022 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

we can land a man on the moon but nike can't design batting gloves that hold tight for an entire at-bat?

I love this post so much. Like, if I was writing a book, I would ask permission to use this. .. But my book is not in the real world, so it would really be odd to include it

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#67 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

be my ghost.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#68 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Tons. I'll never go to an NFL game again. The commercial breaks are even worse when you realize players just stand on the field waiting for them to end.

I have season football tickets to Iowa State Football and the commercial delays in college football are twice as bad as the NFL.NFL has found ways to keep games around 3 hours while the college football games we attend are close to 4 hours.If my family and friends didn't love the tailgating and hanging out feature we would have abandoned them along time ago.

#69 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

I have season football tickets to Iowa State Football and the commercial delays in college football are twice as bad as the NFL.NFL has found ways to keep games around 3 hours while the college football games we attend are close to 4 hours.If my family and friends didn't love the tailgating and hanging out feature we would have abandoned them along time ago.

Kyle Kempt was fun to watch last season.

• VirginSturgeon likes this

#70 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

We are Cyclone fans at our house too.
As for tailgating, I have an acquaintance who attended Indiana University, and their football fans have a saying: We may have lost football games but we've never lost a tailgate.
  • VirginSturgeon likes this