Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Used to be, time of game didn't bother me.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Game times were half as long 100 years ago when most players were liquored up. That's my solution.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and GCTF like this

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,778 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Game times were half as long 100 years ago when most players were liquored up. That's my solution.

get liquored up...that might work now, too.

• Mike Sixel and Platoon like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#23 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

or maybe dock ellis had the right approach: lsd for players and fans alike.

#24 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,655 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

I like it when squirrels run onto the field. Otherwise, not for me. 

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#25 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Here are the solutions, IM not-so-H O:
1. One minute between half innings. The players hustle in, hustle out. Fielders need to be ready to take their positions. Pitcher gets 15 seconds to get to the mound then another 45 seconds to get his 8 warm-ups in then play ball. That's how it was up until about the 1970's. Double the price of a 30-second advertising spot and your revenue would stay the same. Advertisers will be willing to pay. The same for pitching changes. Get the reliever to the mound as quickly as possible using a golf cart or something. He has 45 seconds to get his 8 warmups in.
2. Pitch clock and batter clock, but only when the bases are empty.
3a. Larger strike zone.
3b. Lower pitcher's mound. Pitchers will be able to throw strikes more easily and batters will be less likely to try to work the count because there will be more strikes. The lower mound will reduce K's because the balls will be easier to hit, however this will be offset by the larger zone resulting in fewer strikes being hit well. Fewer deep counts, more balls in play, fewer K's, fewer BB's, fewer HR's.
With these changes it will not be necessary to ruin the game by limiting pitcher changes or trips to the mound.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Nine inning Yankees-Indians game referenced in the original post: 3:38

Nine inning game last night: 4:37

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,778 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

Nine inning Yankees-Indians game referenced in the original post: 3:38

Nine inning game last night: 4:37

Jeebus.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Anyone see John Lackey in the 9th inning last night? It literally took him 5 minutes to throw 6 pitches. He just refused to pitch the ball and continued to step off the rubber. It was a joke. 

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

And in the end, he lost the game.

I am shocked more pitchers don't work more quickly and assert control of the game that way.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

And in the end, he lost the game.

I am shocked more pitchers don't work more quickly and assert control of the game that way.

Yep. I don't know why this isn't a strategy more pitchers use to keep batters off-balance. Mark Buehrle was the GOAT at working quickly and getting batters out of their routine. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 16 October 2017 - 10:05 AM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Here are the solutions, IM not-so-H O:
1. One minute between half innings. The players hustle in, hustle out. Fielders need to be ready to take their positions. Pitcher gets 15 seconds to get to the mound then another 45 seconds to get his 8 warm-ups in then play ball. That's how it was up until about the 1970's. Double the price of a 30-second advertising spot and your revenue would stay the same. Advertisers will be willing to pay. The same for pitching changes. Get the reliever to the mound as quickly as possible using a golf cart or something. He has 45 seconds to get his 8 warmups in.
2. Pitch clock and batter clock, but only when the bases are empty.
3a. Larger strike zone.
3b. Lower pitcher's mound. Pitchers will be able to throw strikes more easily and batters will be less likely to try to work the count because there will be more strikes. The lower mound will reduce K's because the balls will be easier to hit, however this will be offset by the larger zone resulting in fewer strikes being hit well. Fewer deep counts, more balls in play, fewer K's, fewer BB's, fewer HR's.
With these changes it will not be necessary to ruin the game by limiting pitcher changes or trips to the mound.

why are advertisers willing to spend twice as much? I'm confused by that assertion. Because their product will be in front of me half the times?

pitch clock

no automatic strike on 3-0 counts

• ashburyjohn likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

why are advertisers willing to spend twice as much? I'm confused by that assertion. Because their product will be in front of me half the times?

pitch clock

no automatic strike on 3-0 counts

Because the owners will say my way or the highway. If they want their ads on TV they pay the going rate.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#33 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

I like the idea of limiting catcher's visits to the mound.Should be the equivalent of a coach's visit.Pitch clock would work good as well, some pitchers, especially some of the relievers just take forever between pitches.Also look at fouls, so many pitches fouled off, seems to take a couple minutes after a ball is fouled off (even if so far out of play a defender didn't even move) before the next pitch is thrown.Fouled back into the stands, get him a new ball and get back on the mound.You don't get to rub it down or whatever.Batters also don't get to adjust their batting gloves, etc between pitches.I like the idea of making relief pitchers get their throws in quickly as well.Just cut down on the unnecessary delays.  

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Because the owners will say my way or the highway. If they want their ads on TV they pay the going rate.

Are you implying that mlb is leaving money on the table with current rates? Or that the supply/demand curve is such that halving the supply will double the price?
Papers...business papers.

#35 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Are you implying that mlb is leaving money on the table with current rates? Or that the supply/demand curve is such that halving the supply will double the price?

Maybe the former, but more the latter. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm more likely to remember which two commercials I see in a 60-second break than I am to remember which four commercials I see in a two-minute break. And I'm more likely to leave the room if I know the break is longer. I think the time is worth more if the breaks are shorter.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#36 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

I don't like the idea of limiting catcher's visits. I want the players to be able to strategize.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

Maybe the former, but more the latter. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm more likely to remember which two commercials I see in a 60-second break than I am to remember which four commercials I see in a two-minute break. And I'm more likely to leave the room if I know the break is longer. I think the time is worth more if the breaks are shorter.

then why don't tv stations change their model for how commercials are done? I'd bet they spend a lot of money on researching how to do this already.

And, repetition is the key to advertising. Unless the marketing research is mostly wrong.

• Vanimal46 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#38 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,743 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

then why don't tv stations change their model for how commercials are done? I'd bet they spend a lot of money on researching how to do this already.

And, repetition is the key to advertising. Unless the marketing research is mostly wrong.

I think you're wrong.

I think you're wrong.

I think you're wrong.

I almost have myself convinced!:)

Can't speak for others, but I don't watch commercials, ever. I either leave the room to do something, or just flip the channel to something else. When it comes to repetition, I'd be far more likely to be influenced by something I see in short spurts more frequently than I do something in a longer ad sporadically. I would be far less likely to disappear between innings, or pitching changes, etc, if I knew the downtime was very minimal, and far more likely to be seeing any advertising.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

I think you're wrong.

I think you're wrong.

I think you're wrong.

I almost have myself convinced!:)

Can't speak for others, but I don't watch commercials, ever. I either leave the room to do something, or just flip the channel to something else. When it comes to repetition, I'd be far more likely to be influenced by something I see in short spurts more frequently than I do something in a longer ad sporadically. I would be far less likely to disappear between innings, or pitching changes, etc, if I knew the downtime was very minimal, and far more likely to be seeing any advertising.

I'm not convinced you are wrong, nor am I convinced tv execs have a clue how advertising works or doesn't......but clearly they think they are right, or they'd change.

I am like you, I'd turn the channel less if breaks were shorter.

• snepp likes this

#40 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I don't think anyone really knows how advertising works. Most studies I have read recently seem to suggest it is extremely overrated. If companies ever decide that, it would change the face of sports that much more.

• snepp likes this
Papers...business papers.