Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Used to be, time of game didn't bother me.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Then I partially watched game five between the Yankees and Indians. Close to four hours for a nine inning game.

And the strikeouts. 31 K's. Thirty. One.

I love baseball, and I turned the game off.

Baseball needs to do something about length of games. Something, or things, that are meaningful, and ruthlessly enforced.

And for petes sake, figure out a way to get more balls in play. K, K, K, K, K, Walk, HR, K, K, K isn't very fun to watch.
  • USNMCPO, bluechipper, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#2 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,001 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

Did you time and count all the commercial breaks? While those aren't likely to go away, I think that's the most egregious addition of time to a ballgame. I'd hate to alter the game over that. And yeah enforce the pitch clock and don't let batters take so much time out.
  • SF Twins Fan and Shaitan like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#3 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:03 AM

It is not just about the length of games.It is also the start time.Try living on the east coast.One option that I have been thinking about is to move to Denver or further west for the playoffs.I don't think there are any real solutions as long as major TV networks are paying for the rights to broadcasts. The Yankees in prime time, game 5, I am sure Fox Sports made out well.But I am tired.

• USAFChief likes this

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:24 AM

Baseball in 2017 is truly not the game I fell in love with.

Can't wait for next year when the starting pitcher throws one pitch and in comes reliever number 1 of 12.

• USAFChief, Platoon and Vanimal46 like this

#5 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

I really have no issues with pace of play or how the game has evolved. I would like to see them implement a pitch clock like they do in the minors and then also enforce some rules put on the batter a couple years ago yet for some reason only enforced for like two weeks.

#6 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

I would like to see games average around the 3 hour mark - last nights game was so good to watch that I did not mind the extra time too much although I find myself fitting other stuff in between the breaks. Amazed by the number of strikeouts in last nights game. One thing that has increased recently is multiple visits to the mound by the pitcher and catcher.  They need to limit all visits to the mound to two per inning - catcher goes out there the 2nd time - have to replace the pitcher.  Another rule just for Yankee games and their batters - start the count at 1-1  they get 3 balls and 2 strikes. I am half-joking on these but maybe that is a solution to quicken the game overall and might help the starters last longer if we just moved to 3 balls and 2 strikes.  But then that would make the lyrics to Take me out to the Ballgame obsolete. 

#7 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

The Cubs and Nationals game was even more unbearable yesterday once the top of the 8th inning happened.It had to take like 30 minutes minimum, I told my wife this why I can't watch a full game anymore.Multiple visits by the catcher during the same at bat is inexcusable.Relief pitchers just take forever to make a pitch.  

• USAFChief and wsnydes like this

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,001 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, I have difficulties sitting and watching a full game, especially with all the commercials and pitching changes. I usually have it on and unless it's a really good game, it's background listening while doing other things.
  • USAFChief, Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Baseball in 2017 is truly not the game I fell in love with.

Can't wait for next year when the starting pitcher throws one pitch and in comes reliever number 1 of 12.

Hell, it's not the game from even 10 years ago. It's becoming a 3.5 hour affair with 3 true outcomes... 

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

Not to hijack the discussion by bringing in a thought from another thread, but I expect an automated strike zone will help with some of the things you are bothered by.

It takes away from the human element, they say; but the human element of umpiring means that batters, even the ones with an eagle eye, can't be sure what's a strike and what's not. This human element makes for an arguably more interesting game, just as soccer players' lack of precise knowledge of how much time remains in the game adds a certain interest. But in the cat-and-mouse game between batters and hitters, it plays entirely into the pitchers' hands (except maybe for the few pitchers with sterling command of every pitch in their arsenal anyway), and we are close to having a remedy.

So to restate it, an "unintended consequence" of robot plate umpiring could be a tilt toward the batter and a reduction in whiffs, at least by the better hitters. Maybe at some later point some kind of further remedy would need to be thought of, to help the pitcher. Bring back the spitball? :)

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,992 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

Not to hijack the discussion by bringing in a thought from another thread, but I expect an automated strike zone will help with some of the things you are bothered by.

It takes away from the human element, they say; but the human element of umpiring means that batters, even the ones with an eagle eye, can't be sure what's a strike and what's not. This human element makes for an arguably more interesting game, just as soccer players' lack of precise knowledge of how much time remains in the game adds a certain interest. But in the cat-and-mouse game between batters and hitters, it plays entirely into the pitchers' hands (except maybe for the few pitchers with sterling command of every pitch in their arsenal anyway), and we are close to having a remedy.

So to restate it, an "unintended consequence" of robot plate umpiring could be a tilt toward the batter and a reduction in whiffs, at least by the better hitters. Maybe at some later point some kind of further remedy would need to be thought of, to help the pitcher. Bring back the spitball? :)

I don't know if this would remedy the problems, just change the boundaries where the battle is being "fought". 

Part of the "problem" is that players might be getting too good, as pitchers, hitters and defenders, so the game starts to be played more and more on the margins on the strike zone and turns more into the 3 true outcomes. 

Do think they can tweak rules a little around catching visits and shortening breaks for between innings and pitching changes, but I fear a little for the change of the game. I wonder what the adjustment will be as pitchers throw harder, are more precise, and batters have better eyes and swing for more power.

Papers...business papers.

#12 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

For me, it's not so much that a game takes a long time, it's WHY the game takes so long.If a 12-10 game goes 3.5 hours I'm generally fine with it because there's a legitimate game related reason for it.It's the batter stepping out of the box after every pitch, the pitcher taking a lap around the mound after an out, endless catcher to mound visits, etc.Things that don't really need to be there taking up time.The rules to speed up the pace that are in the rule book need to be enforced - and enforced consistently.I like the pitch clock in the minors.It makes the game much more interesting with a constant flow and you really don't know the clock is there.

I know that some don't feel that it's a problem and that's fine, but there are some pretty big baseball fans in this thread stating that they can't watch a full game anymore.That's a problem whether you agree with the pace of play debate or not.

• Vanimal46 likes this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Things that don't really need to be there taking up time. 

I tend to think that you can't cure a problem until you think about why it arises.

You often hear players and coaches using the phrase "need to slow the game down". They don't mean it in the sense of delaying the game, but to say that if a player's not careful he can get overwhelmed by the pace of the game. I recall this being said about (or by) Buxton when he was going badly, for example.

All the tactics you mention are an attempt to regroup and regain one's focus - the ritual of the batter adjusting his gloves and of the pitcher turning his back to the plate for a cleansing breath are examples. The pause, charitably viewed, means that hitter and pitcher are both at the top of their game, and the battle between them is acute.

Unfortunately, the tactics do indeed slow the game down for the fans too.

The remedy for that is to enforce rules that take away this regrouping time for both sides. Not much is really lost, IMO, if the batter is not allowed to routinely step out and if the pitcher is required to throw another pitch within a certain number of seconds; both adversaries are relatively disadvantaged, keeping the competition fair.

Other rule changes such as expecting that a pitcher coming in from the bullpen is warmed-up and ready to go would help a little too. If players are to slow the game down for themselves, it needs to be figuratively but not literally.

• spycake likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#14 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,796 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Go to seven innings.

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#15 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Too many trips to the mound.Fix that.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Go to seven innings.

And give the starting pitcher credit for the Win if he completes three innings, because managers will still go to the bullpen for the final four or so. :)

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,796 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

And give the starting pitcher credit for the Win if he completes three innings, because managers will still go to the bullpen for the final four or so. :)

A quality start. 4 innings/2 earned runs or less.

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#18 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

The remedy for that is to enforce rules that take away this regrouping time for both sides. Not much is really lost, IMO, if the batter is not allowed to routinely step out and if the pitcher is required to throw another pitch within a certain number of seconds; both adversaries are relatively disadvantaged, keeping the competition fair.

Other rule changes such as expecting that a pitcher coming in from the bullpen is warmed-up and ready to go would help a little too. If players are to slow the game down for themselves, it needs to be figuratively but not literally.

Exactly.I think both the pitchers and batters need to be quicker about things.It does need to be equal.I'm not asking for a full at bat to be completed in 30 seconds, but there's little reason that the average AB take 4 or 5 minutes.A few minor adjustments made to the frequency at which something as simple as a pitch being thrown can have a pretty large cumulative effect on pace of play and game length.  

Whatever change, if any, ever end up being employed I simply ask that it not dictate strategy or how the game is played.  

• ashburyjohn likes this

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Exactly.I think both the pitchers and batters need to be quicker about things.

And just to be clear, I should have stated that my analysis wasn't meant in contradiction to your post, but to say that the players aren't just randomly or thoughtlessly prolonging the game, but are doing it in their individual self-interest, making it hard to remedy except by strict enforcement.

• wsnydes likes this

#20 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

And just to be clear, I should have stated that my analysis wasn't meant in contradiction to your post, but to say that the players aren't just randomly or thoughtlessly prolonging the game, but are doing it in their individual self-interest, making it hard to remedy except by strict enforcement.

I didn't take it that way, no worries.  

I do agree with your analysis.Something as simple as adjusting your batting gloves doesn't seem like much if you're the one doing it, but compound that each batter doing it and over the course of 60 ABs a game, it really adds up.

It's akin to the backpacking adage that ounces equal pounds.  

• ashburyjohn likes this