Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

DH 2018

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

I would say go and get Carlos Santana or JD Martinez and add to a good but not great (yet) offense if not for the Sano Q mark. The reality is that the team needs to hold open the DH spot for 40+ games of Sano and I don't think you can sign (for significant money) a full time DH. Yes, Santana could bump Mauer from the lineup or JD could bump an OF'er from the lineup but I don't think that is a good option if Sano needs extended DH time.

DH next year 

Sano 40 games (a big unknown with his injury)

Grossman 60+ games

Rosario/Kepler 10 games

Garver 10 games

Mauer 10 games

Escobar 10 games

22 games leftover for the above mix of players

Vargas could be a factor but I don't know you can make a bench of Garver, Grossman, Escobar, Adrianza and Vargas work for an extended period of time. All but Adrianza is potentially a better hitter than Vargas (not terrible at hitting) while adding a lot more positional versatility.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#42 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

I think that the era of a specific DH has gone. Most good teams use the DH spot to rest some of their regulars in a rotation basis, or specific regulars who are nursing particular injuries. This allows greater roster flexibility.

I see a lot of what you are saying, so if that is the case where most of the time the DH is a rotating spot to rest regulars whereas the guys like Edgar Martinez, David Ortiz, Don Baylor's are gone or maybe going away, should MLB then look to get rid of the DH??? I know at one point the union would have fought it tooth and nail because they were protecting guys like Edgar Martinez, etc... But if those guys are going away, shouldn't they just get rid of it?? Just a thought

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#43 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think that the era of a specific DH has gone. Most good teams use the DH spot to rest some of their regulars in a rotation basis, or specific regulars who are nursing particular injuries. This allows greater roster flexibility.

The two best teams in the AL, Cleveland and Houston, used full time DHs.

If you have legit extra bats on your bench, you can get by without one. But most teams don't. Using Robbie Grossman as a DH instead of Edwin Encarnacion because Grossman can stand in a corner OF spot once in a while might add a bit of flexibility, but it costs more runs than it helps.
  • markos likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#44 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

While I hope Garver becomes dominant, he had all of ~325 good plate appearances in AAA. He was entirely pedestrian before that point (and has been old for his level every step of the way).

His track record isn't very good, it's just at a peak right now.

So hitter of year two years ago is bad track record?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#45 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

While Garver may or may not have been the best hitter in the minors the last two years, I think it points out the lack of hitters that are in the Twins' organization, especially in the high minors. Garver is not young for the level he has played either.

If he's serviceable behind the plate, I think he'll hit enough to be a major leaguer, but I haven't seen enough out of him to believe he'll develop into even a regular. I don't think they can consider Garver to get DH plate appearances.

• USAFChief, PseudoSABR and NoCryingInBaseball like this

#46 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

While Garver may or may not have been the best hitter in the minors the last two years, I think it points out the lack of hitters that are in the Twins' organization, especially in the high minors. Garver is not young for the level he has played either.

If he's serviceable behind the plate, I think he'll hit enough to be a major leaguer, but I haven't seen enough out of him to believe he'll develop into even a regular. I don't think they can consider Garver to get DH plate appearances.

Concur.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,553 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

So hitter of year two years ago is bad track record?

I don't understand. When he had a .750 OPS in Chattanooga?

#48 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Pardon me Brock, is that the Chattanooga Choo Choo? :-)

#49 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted Yesterday, 07:33 AM

It has been reported that Sano "loves" playing 3B.  Since that is the case, The Twins should continue to play Sano at 3rd as often as possible.  Forget DHing him.  A happy Sano makes for a happy Twins Team.

:D

• gunnarthor likes this

#50 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

It has been reported that Sano "loves" playing 3B.  Since that is the case, The Twins should continue to play Sano at 3rd as often as possible.  Forget DHing him.  A happy Sano makes for a happy Twins Team.

:D

There is also the uncertainty of his maybe needing surgery or rehab for his leg. It isn't a matter of let's DH Sano for fun. There is a new injury concern in addition to him wearing down during a season as a full time 3B. And Escobar is arguably a better defender at the position.

But I don't really know the Twins plans for Sano for next season or the confidence level that the FO thinks Sano can play 150+ games at 3B. If I was very confident that Sano wouldn't need time at DH then I would make a push for Carlos Santana or JD Martinez. But the Twins FO would have to be okayed for a sizable payroll increase since pitching and more pitching are higher priorities.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#51 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,020 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Brock Beauchamp, on 15 Oct 2017 - 8:31 PM, said:

I'm not sure what the debate here is. He also had an .820 OPS in Rochester that year. Granted only 84 PAs, but not a meaningless number... and he OPS over .900 this season while being younger (albeit not much) than his league. So yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he can hit. And given that he's a catcher and .750 OPS out of a decent defending C would be a very VERY good player, I don't think we should sell that short.

As a DH... for occasional reps, why not?

I have no problem, I might add, getting a professional hitter here. I was hoping Vargas or Park could turn into that guy, as having a dangerous bat off the bench when you choose to give someone a rest has it's own strategic value. Ultimately, they wanted relief pitchers. Smart moves this offseason should eliminate the need to carry 13 pitchers and allow for it. Whether they have the resources to get a full time hitter, starting pitcher, and a shut down reliever remains to be seen, and I'll sacrifice the DH first if I have to make that choice.