Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

DH 2018

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

You're probably right, but the real solution is to get better pitchers. Either Grossman or Vargas probably has to go. I like Grossman as a mentor--he has a good approach, but he's useless on defense and limited with the bat. Vargas has some promise but is what hs is.

I'm just not impressed with Garver and I don't think his track record says MLB starter. Maybe a borderline starting C, but that's not exactly an offensive position. Carrying a catcher to DH limits the roster even more.

If Garver qualified in AAA, he'd have had the 2nd highest OPS in his league.....how much better would his hitting need to be to think he might hit in the majors?

edit: I'm not arguing he should be the DH, I'm arguing that his track record is "good hitter".

Edited by Mike Sixel, 12 October 2017 - 12:08 PM.

• brvama and Oldgoat_MN like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#22 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

I know you said no outside choices, but give me Carlos Santana if he hits the market.

I'd take J.D. Martinez and the fact he won't have a qualifying offer attached.

• USAFChief likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#23 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

DH for 2018 ?  I think Zack Granite can be a 300 hitter with a very high OBP if given 500 AB.  So play him almost every day and rotate the 4 Outfielders.  Let them all DH occaisionally with Mauer, Sano & Vargas.  This way we have a top fielding OF and a sharp hitter everyday.  :D

• DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

#24 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

If Garver qualified in AAA, he'd have had the 2nd highest OPS in his league.....how much better would his hitting need to be to think he might hit in the majors?

edit: I'm not arguing he should be the DH, I'm arguing that his track record is "good hitter".

But wasn't 2017 the only time he's been an above average MiLB hitter? Everyone has hot streaks. While I'd love it if he's turned a corner too, I question it.

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

By the way, I originally posed "no outside options" for two reasons:
1. As many of you pointed out, FA dollars are probably spent on pitching, and
2. I don't think there's a shortage of internal candidates.
  • DocBauer likes this

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

DH for 2018 ? I think Zack Granite can be a 300 hitter with a very high OBP if given 500 AB. So play him almost every day and rotate the 4 Outfielders. Let them all DH occaisionally with Mauer, Sano & Vargas. This way we have a top fielding OF and a sharp hitter everyday. :D

And in this scenario, Dozier could slide down to an ever better RBI spot while still helping to set the table for players behind him.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

You're probably right, but the real solution is to get better pitchers. Either Grossman or Vargas probably has to go. I like Grossman as a mentor--he has a good approach, but he's useless on defense and limited with the bat. Vargas has some promise but is what hs is.

I'm just not impressed with Garver and I don't think his track record says MLB starter. Maybe a borderline starting C, but that's not exactly an offensive position. Carrying a catcher to DH limits the roster even more.

No one is saying Garver is going to be the primary DH.But, more than likely he will be Castro's backup.From time to time, I would expect him to get in the lineup as the DH also.Often? No.Maybe once a month or so.The most likely scenario for Garver to DH would be if the Twins faced two LHP in a row.  

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

I think Garver should have gotten more AB this season so we know what we have. But he didn't so I don't think the Twins can reasonably expect much from him next year. They certainly shouldn't plan for him to be a solution to something. 

#29 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

But wasn't 2017 the only time he's been an above average MiLB hitter? Everyone has hot streaks. While I'd love it if he's turned a corner too, I question it.

No. Was great in Cedar Rapids (won MiLB Hitter of the Year that season too), was great in AFL after a down year with Fort Myers, very good in Chattanooga for a catcher, then had his best season in AAA this year. I know he's older, but that's improvement as he's moved up the ladder and there's a lot to like in that bat, especially if he can catch.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

I think Garver should have gotten more AB this season so we know what we have. But he didn't so I don't think the Twins can reasonably expect much from him next year. They certainly shouldn't plan for him to be a solution to something.

Great value as a 3rd catcher (with options) going into the season.
  • gunnarthor likes this
Papers...business papers.

#31 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

I realize he's not even on the 40-man roster, and was signed previous to Falvey and Levine taking the helm, plus he had his ups and downs in AAA this year, and at this point he's a distant thought in most fan's minds .... but I'm still very, very curious to see what Park could do if given a chance. His performance last year in Spring Training was so impressive (okay, it was "only" ST, but still, the guy mashed!) that I'd love to see how he handles playing 1B/DH duty when healthy.

#32 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Who says Mauer is done after next year?:)

But to answer the original question, and I'd be fine with Santana, how about Jose Bautista? Probably be reasonable price, and he hits better at Target Field than anyone.

If Bautista takes a 1-2 year deal sign me up to be on board with this one.

#33 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

The only "bad" thing coming out of the Twins making the playoffs was they weren't able to audition and get young guys AB's and starts at the MLB level that probably would have if the team stunk.Now they will need to work for it going forward and have them fill in when stuff happens and see if they can Wally Pipp others.

• caninatl04 likes this

#34 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

The only "bad" thing coming out of the Twins making the playoffs was they weren't able to audition and get young guys AB's and starts at the MLB level that probably would have if the team stunk.Now they will need to work for it going forward and have them fill in when stuff happens and see if they can Wally Pipp others.

I'm not sure if that's because the Twins were good or because Molitor isn't a good manager. I would have given Garver nearly all of Vargas' at-bats. We knew what we had in him and it wasn't much. Garver - esp in the second half of the season after he dominated AAA - should have gotten those at bats.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and caninatl04 like this

#35 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure if that's because the Twins were good or because Molitor isn't a good manager. I would have given Garver nearly all of Vargas' at-bats. We knew what we had in him and it wasn't much. Garver - esp in the second half of the season after he dominated AAA - should have gotten those at bats.

I do agree with you on that.He should have received more of those shares of AB's.  

#36 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

Here's a name from outside the organization: Nicholas Castellanos. The Tigers made him available in August and no one claimed him. The bat is solid 26 HR 101 RBI, .811 OPS. He hits righty and plays two positions (not well) OF and 3B. He'd be an alternative in RF if Kepler continued to flail against LH pitching and a backup option at third if Sano can't stay there and Escobar reverts to being a utility infielder.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#37 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

Here's a name from outside the organization: Nicholas Castellanos. The Tigers made him available in August and no one claimed him. The bat is solid 26 HR 101 RBI, .811 OPS. He hits righty and plays two positions (not well) OF and 3B. He'd be an alternative in RF if Kepler continued to flail against LH pitching and a backup option at third if Sano can't stay there and Escobar reverts to being a utility infielder.

He stinks.Hopefully, we avoid him like the plague.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#38 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

The Twins do have a number of candidates depending on roster makeup. Sano can, with Escobar handling third. Mauer can, if you have Vargas or Park as backup at first. Dozier can down the line. Better to ask who is the Twins DH come 2019 or 2020. If it is going to be Sano, then you have to address who will play third. If Dozier is signed and can move into that spot (or first base), fine too. Mauer is still the white elephant. What to do with Joe when his contract runs out. Keep him at first for ever (who are viable replacements in the system...Rooker?). But the Twins could use a solid bench bat not named Grossman (again, if Granite can be the 4th outfielder). 

And Garver can be in the mix, depending on the need for a third catcher, and Molitor never seemed locked into benching your reserve catcher ina game.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

While I hope Garver becomes dominant, he had all of ~325 good plate appearances in AAA. He was entirely pedestrian before that point (and has been old for his level every step of the way).

His track record isn't very good, it's just at a peak right now.

• USAFChief and PseudoSABR like this

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

His bat is solid enough but at this point he's probably DH only. Now, that said, RF in Comerica Park is a entirely different animal than RF in pretty much any other park. So he probably wouldn't be quite as bad as the numbers said but he'd still be really bad.

He's under contract for two more years and his bat would probably profile pretty well in TF. He's still quite young and relatively cheap. He put up a 110 OPS+ last year which was better than Grossman, Escobar and Vargas and those three might get a lot of DH time next year. It was also a lot better than Kepler.

He'd be a possible back up at third and RF but he'd be really bad at both so that's not much help. But if we thought Sano could hold down third he wouldn't be the worst DH option we could find. I'm just not sure we shouldn't have DH set aside for Sano. And Castellanos is another high strike out guy.

I'd probably hope we go another way but it's not a horrible idea, esp if the FO thinks his bat plays up more in TF and/or they think they can improve his defense a bit.