Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

DH 2018

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Excluding external (outside the Twins' organizations-- major and minor) options, who would / could be the Twins' DH next year?

Grossman?It's a little unusual to have a DH with an ISP (iso power) of .138.

Sano / Escobar? (whoever is not playing 3B that day)

Vargas?

Park? (How was his second half in AAA?)

Garver?? (against LHP)

Someone else from AAA / AA? (Including, perhaps, Granite / Goodrum)

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

Excluding external (outside the Twins' organizations-- major and minor) options, who would / could be the Twins' DH next year?

Grossman? It's a little unusual to have a DH with an ISP (iso power) of .138.
Sano / Escobar? (whoever is not playing 3B that day)
Vargas?
Park? (How was his second half in AAA?)
Garver?? (against LHP)
Someone else from AAA / AA? (Including, perhaps, Granite / Goodrum)

My guess is a mix of Mauer, Sano, Grossman, Garver and maybe Vargas.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

I think that the era of a specific DH has gone.Most good teams use the DH spot to rest some of their regulars in a rotation basis, or specific regulars who are nursing particular injuries.This allows greater roster flexibility. 

• Jerr, Mike Frasier Law, SwainZag and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

I think that the era of a specific DH has gone. Most good teams use the DH spot to rest some of their regulars in a rotation basis, or specific regulars who are nursing particular injuries. This allows greater roster flexibility.

I agree. The prevalence of 12 (and now 13) man pitching staffs makes it tough to keep a full time DH. It'll probably be some rotation of Sano, Mauer, Escobar, maybe Grossman, assuming he's tendered, which I think he probably will be.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

who would / could be the Twins' DH next year?

I'd like to answer this question with the title of another thread posted today: "Does anyone remember Todd Sears?" :)
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

I'd prefer to leave the spot open for mixing and matiching.

But I threw out the name Carlos Santana awhile back just as a guy Falvey might target. I've since started to get an itch for him, with an eye on him heading to 1B in 2019 once Mauer is done.
  • lecroy24fan and Loosey like this

#7 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Rosario and Granite split time in LF, with Rosario playing every day and DHing when Granite is in the field.

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Park and Garver don't have a chance. Neither is an everyday MLB bat.

I expect a middling veteran to be signed, and he will compete with Grossman and Vargas for the job. Maybe all 3 of those will ride the bench and rotate with a "day off" regular taking at bats too.

The problem is that means it has to be an OF who can play a little OF, because putting Grossman on the bench means he has to play late inning defense from time to time.

#9 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

I'd prefer to leave the spot open for mixing and matiching.

But I threw out the name Carlos Santana awhile back just as a guy Falvey might target. I've since started to get an itch for him, with an eye on him heading to 1B in 2019 once Mauer is done.

Who says Mauer is done after next year?:)

But to answer the original question, and I'd be fine with Santana, how about Jose Bautista? Probably be reasonable price, and he hits better at Target Field than anyone.

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Been thinking about the DH spot a lot lately when looking at 2018. While I am tantalize by a major move at this spot, the lineup and roster is so, overall, deep, young, talented and versatile, that it's simply not at the top of the priority list unless the Twins went all in. TK, and Gardy, seldom had a true everyday DH. There were exceptions, of course, such as Davis and Winfield, but mostly they just put a good bench bat in that spot, and gave guys half days off. Personally, I like that approach; a balanced roster with depth where you rotate guys in and out. I think this team can do that. And let's be honest, any real investment should come first in another quality SP, and maybe a RP of quality, maybe two, before we look at the DH spot.

Nothing says your DH has to be a power hitter. The jury, unfortunately, is still out on Vargas. But what if, especially with his recent comments about getting in better shape, Vargas begins to put it together? What if Grossman can begin to bridge the gap between 2016 and 2017 splits and become more balanced? And what about Granite? He could be a true 4th OF with the potential to give guys breaks, but also DH at the top, or bottom, of the order and provide AVG, OB and speed.

If you paid attention to the normal batting order the last couple of months, you would see Molitor putting Grossman's OB ability in the 9 spot. This helped flip the lineup. He could do so again. So could Granite. Vargas would be more of a middle order option. Grossman's numbers, if you look at them, and I have, could blend his RH and LH production over a full season could not only flip the lineup, but maybe provide a very interesting 1-2 punch at the top of the order. And Granite, again, if he continues to grow and improve, could be a valuable 4th OF who could also flip the order, or hit with Mauer for a nice 1-2. In both of these scenarios, it allows Dozier and his offensive ability, to slide down.

Just saying, I think there are options and potential here without making an external investment.
  • Jerr, brvama and Doctor Wu like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,068 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

Sano will probably end up getting the most PA as DH but Grossman might be the opening day starter this year.

• KGB likes this

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Who says Mauer is done after next year?:)

But to answer the original question, and I'd be fine with Santana, how about Jose Bautista? Probably be reasonable price, and he hits better at Target Field than anyone.

Bautista either played through an injury or is done.

#13 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:01 AM

I have a suspicion with Grossman being arb eligible, a poor finish to the year, and not much D is that he either accepts a minimal contract or becomes a free agent (and signs a minimal contract elsewhere).In terms of additions to the team, position flexibility is the new thing.

Wonder if they can buy low on Swihart?

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,184 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:05 AM

yeah, I don't see them getting a DH with Grossman and Escobar essentially without a position home when everyone is healthy. They will rotate those guys at DH and various IF/OF positions. I wouldn't mind it if they got a bat first guy, but I don't think this team needs much improvement offensively. I'd rather spend money on an SP and an RP.

• brvama and DocBauer like this

#15 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,960 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

yeah, I don't see them getting a DH with Grossman and Escobar essentially without a position home when everyone is healthy. They will rotate those guys at DH and various IF/OF positions. I wouldn't mind it if they got a bat first guy, but I don't think this team needs much improvement offensively. I'd rather spend money on an SP and an RP.

We already have a perfect DH type.Sano.

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,953 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

Park and Garver don't have a chance. Neither is an everyday MLB bat.

I expect a middling veteran to be signed, and he will compete with Grossman and Vargas for the job. Maybe all 3 of those will ride the bench and rotate with a "day off" regular taking at bats too.

The problem is that means it has to be an OF who can play a little OF, because putting Grossman on the bench means he has to play late inning defense from time to time.

What do you base the Garver statement on? Because he was more than good in AAA.....

You can't carry Vargas, Grossman, and another DH on the roster. You have no bench then at all.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#17 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

I know you said no outside choices, but give me Carlos Santana if he hits the market.

• USAFChief and Twins33 like this

Career Game Thread Record: 1-0

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,759 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

I know you said no outside choices, but give me Carlos Santana if he hits the market.

Yup, an actual professional hitter in the middle of the Twins lineup would really help the lineup.  

• USNMCPO, milldam, milldaddy35 and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

What do you base the Garver statement on? Because he was more than good in AAA.....

You can't carry Vargas, Grossman, and another DH on the roster. You have no bench then at all.

You're probably right, but the real solution is to get better pitchers. Either Grossman or Vargas probably has to go. I like Grossman as a mentor--he has a good approach, but he's useless on defense and limited with the bat. Vargas has some promise but is what hs is.

I'm just not impressed with Garver and I don't think his track record says MLB starter. Maybe a borderline starting C, but that's not exactly an offensive position. Carrying a catcher to DH limits the roster even more.

#20 VirginSturgeon

VirginSturgeon

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

I am hoping they sign someone to give a little more pop off the bench. I agree with others that you are hoping they invest in the pitching staff so they can keep a 12 man pitching staff most of the season.