Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

John Farrell fired

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

According to MLBtraderumors John Farrell has been fired as the Boston manager.This opens up one very desireable managing job.  

If the pitching can be fixed this job can become a long term playoff hunt for another world series.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, not a surprise. He was always over rated. He was given a loaded team and won a WS and followed that up with two last place seasons in Boston!

https://www.baseball...farrejo03.shtml

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

In keeping with tradition, I suspect the new manager will win the World Series next year.

• Danchat, GP830 and twinssporto like this
Papers...business papers.

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, not a surprise. He was always over rated. He was given a loaded team and won a WS and followed that up with two last place seasons in Boston!

One of those "last place seasons" was 78 wins... it's a competitive division, and he's won it twice in a row (and 3 times in 5 years).  Wasn't his fault that Sale struggled in Game 1, and Price was hurt...

He only had 2 seasons in Toronto, and they were a pretty "meh" team at the time (post-Halladay, pre-Stroman/Donaldson), so his records there weren't necessarily his fault.

#5 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

who

• Members
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Psst.

Boston.

Doug Mientkiewicz might be seeking employment.
  • woolywoolhouse, Sconnie, prouster and 2 others like this

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

One of those "last place seasons" was 78 wins... it's a competitive division, and he's won it twice in a row (and 3 times in 5 years).  Wasn't his fault that Sale struggled in Game 1, and Price was hurt...

He only had 2 seasons in Toronto, and they were a pretty "meh" team at the time (post-Halladay, pre-Stroman/Donaldson), so his records there weren't necessarily his fault.

He was given payroll advantages that three other teams in that division would have killed for. I think it's hard to say that the Red Sox didn't underachieve a great deal the last few years.

• bluechipper likes this

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

He was given payroll advantages that three other teams in that division would have killed for. I think it's hard to say that the Red Sox didn't underachieve a great deal the last few years.

Sure, Boston had a payroll advantage on 3 divisional foes (I notice you don't address the other one :) ), but those have also been pretty good teams at times.  And Farrell beat them all, plus the Yankees, for 3 out of 5 years.  (And Boston's high payroll is probably more evidence of GM missteps than managerial under-performance -- Pablo Sandoval, for example.)

I could see the last 2 years in totality as a bit of an underachievement, but not much.  They lost to a great Cleveland squad last year, and what looks like a good Astros team this year.  Would have liked them to be a little more competitive in those series, but their SP struggled which was largely out of Farrell's control.

And while he inherited a talented club, they finished in last place with 69 wins the year before. Farrell had to do something right to get them to 97 wins (and HFA) plus 11 more in the postseason.  He's nowhere near Gardenhire playoff disappointment territory yet, even adjusting for market.

Ultimately I don't think managers make a huge difference, but without any glaring errors, it seems hard to justify at the moment.

• h2oface and DocBauer like this

#8 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Psst.

Boston.

Doug Mientkiewicz might be seeking employment.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's an interesting thought. A Young core with a player first manager who has ties to the organization.

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

I hadn't thought of that, but it's an interesting thought. A Young core with a player first manager who has ties to the organization.

Doug's "ties" to Boston are minimal -- it's pretty much just the ball. :)  He only started 26 games in a Boston uniform, including postseason.  No connection to Dombrowski either.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,124 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

An organization dedicated to winning World Series. How refreshing.
  • h2oface likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Let's do this!

• Craig Arko likes this

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

That would be hilarious, if they fired Farrell for playoff underachievement and replaced him with Gardenhire...

• USAFChief, h2oface, Kwak and 1 other like this

#13 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

That would be hilarious, if they fired Farrell for playoff underachievement and replaced him with Gardenhire...

and really, really hilarious if they went on to win a few world series ...

• gil4 likes this

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

and really, really hilarious if they went on to win a few world series ...

I absolutely think he'd win a world series or two if put in charge of that team. He's a perfectly good manager.

Not going to happen though.

• gunnarthor likes this

#15 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Let's do this!

Would a team really want to hire Gardenhire as manager when they'd have to play the Yankees 19 times a year?

• nicksaviking, LaBombo, h2oface and 2 others like this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,770 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

That would be a hell of a landing place for Gardy. Though I'm thinking they'll lean more towards Alex Cora or another up and coming manager candidate.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

If Gardy does go somewhere, wouldn't the Mets make more sense?

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm not surprised Garda is in the conversation with Dombriwski there.

All remains "old school" managers should drooling.

#19 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yeah..... but..... Farrell drove them from a 90 win season and just missing the playoffs by a game (2011) .... to a last place 69 win season (-21 wins, 2012),to a 97 win tied for best in MLB season and World Series championship (+28 wins, 2013)! That should have made him manager of the year, right? (nope... Francona). That makes 83 (missed playoffs by 3 games) - 59 (worst in MLB by 9 games) - 85 (Wild Card game loss) ........look a little underwhelming.

Edited by h2oface, 11 October 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#20 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Yeah..... but..... Farrell drove them from a 90 win season and just missing the playoffs by a game (2011) .... to a last place 69 win season (-21 wins, 2012),to a 97 win tied for best in MLB season and World Series championship (+28 wins, 2013)! That should have made him manager of the year, right? (nope... Francona). That makes 83 (missed playoffs by 3 games) - 59 (worst in MLB by 9 games) - 85 (Wild Card game loss) ........look a little underwhelming.

Terry Francona was manager in 2011, Bobby Valentine in 2012. I'm not sure how Farrell "drove" the Red Sox from 90 to 69 to 97. As for 83 to 59 to 85 (I can't believe you're still on this), Molitor inherited a team that averaged 96 losses per year from 2011-14. Now they're a playoff team.