Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins New Minor League Director: Jeremy Zoll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

The Twins announced this morning that 27-year-old Jeremy Zoll as their new Director of Minor Leagues. He takes over for Brad Steil, who received a promotion (legit promotion). 

Zoll graduated from Haverford, 19 years after Thad Levine graduated from the school. He has worked with the Angels and was most recently the Senior Manager of Player Development for the Los Angeles Dodgers, working under Gabe Kapler. 

It will be interesting to learn more about him. Here is an interview he did a year or so ago... 

http://www.thinkblue...nt-jeremy-zoll/

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt and MN_ExPat like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Jesus, I'm 27 years old. Where did things go wrong for me? 

• ashburyjohn, Steve Lein, USAFChief and 14 others like this

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

I've been asking myself that for years... I was just starting my blogging years when I was 27! Ha!

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Good luck to him.Hope he is all that he is hired to be.Real young for this type of job.He has a lot of work to do.

• glunn likes this

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Trying to remember where I was in my career at age 27. Nowhere near where this guy is, wow.
Congrats to him and wish him success.
  • glunn likes this

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Wow. While that's amazing to get that job at age 27, I'm extremely skeptical he has the experience to thrive in it. Prove me wrong, Jeremy...and welcome!

Edited by Steve Lein, 10 October 2017 - 02:12 PM.

• glunn likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#7 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

With a guy this young, you are betting on his intelligence and are willing to help him grow into his potential, as opposed to buying someone who's already learned lots of things at somebody else's expense. Both are good paths, if you select well. Zoll sure sounds capable in the interview attached to Seth's post.
  • glunn likes this

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

27? What the **** are they thinking? This guy barely knows what to do with a lady let alone run an entire depart. This is a terrible decision. I don't care who he has worked for, you don't get enough experience in 5 years to take this job on. Did he even play baseball?
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:07 AM

Mistake one people making is that they think this person is leading the department. No Falvey and Levine set the agenda, They have the plan, the ideas. Zoll caries them out.

Mistake 2 people make. If you wanted a baseball job lately it seems that a year internship (unpaid) is necessary. After college how many people can afford to do that? 

If you keep your eyes open and have the ability to think, 5 years is plenty. From all of your previous bosses you have an enormous amount of hands on experience in what not to do. You hear how people process new information listening to the complaints. If he is a smart guy, he will do fine.

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#10 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

27? What the **** are they thinking? This guy barely knows what to do with a lady let alone run an entire depart. This is a terrible decision. I don't care who he has worked for, you don't get enough experience in 5 years to take this job on. Did he even play baseball?

Take a deep breath, exhale... repeat. He'll be fine. Also, try reading the article if you haven't' already... this guy sounds smart, and talent is talent. Falvine will be there to guide him and usher him from Padawan to Jedi Knight.

And yes, he did play, he was a catcher.

• luckylager, glunn and howieramone2 like this

#11 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,014 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Good for him. I was 37 when I landed my dream job near the top of the ladder. Looking forward to see what he brings and does before judging his capabilities based on age.
  • glunn likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#12 TwinsFan4

TwinsFan4

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Quick correction: Jeremy Zoll was the Assistant Director of Player Development for the Dodgers for the last two years. His title was last Senior Manager of Player Development in 2015.
Per the press release from the twins:
"Zoll, 27, spent the last two seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers as Assistant Director of Player Development and served as Senior Manager of Player Development in 2015. In his most recent role with the Dodgers, Zoll was responsible for assisting in the oversight of the minor league system. He worked with Dodgers player development leaders regarding on-field philosophies and special programs, and aided the Research and Development department in the implementation of various initiatives. Prior to his time with the Dodgers, Zoll worked as Coordinator of Advance Scouting for the Los Angeles Angels in 2014."
  • glunn and Cory Engelhardt like this

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

Good organization to grab front office talent from, especially on the development side.

I do like that they kept Steil in a significant role too.

• glunn, markos and Deduno Abides like this
Papers...business papers.

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

What's Steil's new role?

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,735 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hey, at least you're not saying: "Want some fries with that coke?"

• glunn, DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

What's Steil's new role?

Director of Pro Scouting

• glunn and gunnarthor like this
Papers...business papers.

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I hope this is sarcasm.

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,363 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

This guy barely knows what to do with a lady

Mod note: This kind of innuendo is irrelevant and is not needed here, thanks.

• glunn likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#19 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

He "knows somebody". Good for him. He must have keen baseball sense. But you don't get to do something like this at 27 unless you have been connected, and used the connections well and didn't disappoint. This is a bold move. I like it.

Edited by h2oface, 11 October 2017 - 06:12 PM.

• DocBauer likes this

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,593 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Maybe a little less time around here?;) 

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra