Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Neil Allen Fired

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

The Star Tribune contacted Twins pitching coach Neil Allen at his home. Allen acknowledged that he had learned that he was fired. He thanked Paul Molitor for being good to work with and Terry Ryan for being there for him in his tough times.While he won't be given much credit for his three years with the Twins, he helped the Twins pitchers move up to 19th in pitching in two of the three seasons (which isn't great, but much better than we've seen). 

Here is the Strib article.

http://www.startribu...ears/450155373/

• glunn likes this

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Our pitching has been horrible. Easy decision.

#3 Geneb

Geneb

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Moliter gets an extension yet it seems all the pitching people are getting canned. It’s early, but i’m Losing faith in the new administration. I’m wondering if there was something physically wrong with Santana down the stretch. It seems like the Twins lost a lot of his starts as the season wore down. A 3-0 lead should be good with him on the mound.

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

I would like to see what he could do with actual pitchers. You can't judge a guy based off how this pitching staff does.

Was he no longer considered instrumental in the development of the Rays pitchers? I thought that pedigree was why he was hired in the first place.

• bizaff, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#5 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Unless they add some actual talent to the staff, this isn't fixing much.
  • beckmt, DocBauer, dbminn and 3 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Moliter gets an extension yet it seems all the pitching people are getting canned. It’s early, but i’m Losing faith in the new administration. I’m wondering if there was something physically wrong with Santana down the stretch. It seems like the Twins lost a lot of his starts as the season wore down. A 3-0 lead should be good with him on the mound.

What? The batters were far better than the pitchers, so why shouldn't the FO fire the pitching coach? 

• PseudoSABR, sftwinsfan and Original Whizzinator like this

#7 Wizard11

Wizard11

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

Neil Allen likely had little input on the pitching roster he inherited. He may not have been the problem but he wasn’t the solution either. His big accomplishment seems to have been teaching every pitcher to throw the changeup or to increase the frequency of use. We need someone who can take a more Rowson-esque approach of individualing the coaching. It would also behoove us to have someone highly skilled at the cutting edge of analytics and technology. Well...and to have more pitchers with high ceilings. Best wishes to Neil Allen as he seems like a good guy
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Jerr, beckmt and 10 others like this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

A. The team was last or next to last in defense-independent pitching measures in the AL for 3 seasons running

B. He was guilty of a crime in 2016 for which other teams can their coaches all the time.

C. Pitchers like Berrios and Gibson figured "it" out when they went to the minors

I hope that the Twins get a pitching coach that will help the staff in the majors improve.The change happened a bit too late...

Edited by Thrylos, 09 October 2017 - 07:13 PM.

• Loosey, NapoleonComplex and jimmer like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

my guess is that every day Eddie is next to go... 

• NapoleonComplex likes this

#10 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

Would love to see Bobby Cuellar return to the organization. You know, the guy Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano credit for their success. Little old though.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan and Jerr like this

#11 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Would love to see Bobby Cuellar return to the organization. You know, the guy Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano credit for their success. Little old though.

He's coaching the Dodgers' Rookie team in Ogden. The Raptors.

• Thrylos likes this

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Falvey seems to prefer a curveball emphasis, Allen was a changeup guy. All other factors aside, it didn't seem to be a good fit for the direction the org is headed.
  • Sconnie, wsnydes and VirginSturgeon like this
Papers...business papers.

#13 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Sorta stinks I guess. I was excited with the hire based on the Rays’ success. Oh well. I bet the FO has someone in mind though. Hopefully someone from the Indians!

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

A. The team was last or next to last in defense-independent pitching measures in the AL for 3 seasons running
B. He was guilty of a crime in 2016 for which other teams can their coaches all the time.
C. Pitchers like Berrios and Gibson figured "it" out when they went to the minors

I hope that the Twins get a pitching coach that will help the staff in the majors improve. The change happened a bit too late...

B strikes me as a pretty big deal, kind of surprising he even was brought back for 17. The front office must have thought it would be tough to bring in the right guy if Molitor was a lame duck. With a 3 year deal, no longer a concern.

In addition to Eddie, I wonder if Vavra is let go too.
Papers...business papers.

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

I don' think it was a bad decision to hire Allen. Sometimes things just don't work out. This is why people lose jobs all the time. 

• Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan, spinowner and 4 others like this

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I wonder if Vavra is let go too.

He has to go.The last bastion of the Gardenhire one and out belly up in the post-season.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Not completely Allen's fault, but yes, he does get some of the blame and this is very unsurprising and the right move.
  • Blake, Jerr, Blackjack and 1 other like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,039 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

Falvey seems to prefer a curveball emphasis, Allen was a changeup guy. All other factors aside, it didn't seem to be a good fit for the direction the org is headed.

this. I feel bad for Allen. He seems like a good guy, even if he made a very bad decision last year, it was only one that I know of.

At the end of the day, the coaches need to be aligned with the coaching specialties that emphasizes the players strengths.

To go with Falvey's mention of curve emphasis, Berrios is a curveball pitcher and it seems like Falvey will be targeting similar pitchers.

#19 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

There is something called accountability.

It's pretty important when an organization, or an aspect of an organization is not performing.

They let Gardy skate, they let Ryan skate for too long.

You give up on accountability, you give up on your organization.

Best of luck to Mr. Allen, and let's go get a modern-day pitching coach.

#20 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Mod note: a reminder to everyone, whether or not you agree with these changes, whether you are celebratory or disdainful, please be respectful of one another and those who have been let go, in this case, Neil Allen. While it might be easy to go the route of Allen's personal life and life issues, that is not the topic of this thread nor should it be ... the Twins and what their pitchers need is.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Jerr and 2 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown