Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: It's Official: Twins/Molitor Agree To Three-Year Deal

paul molitor derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,626 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

I imagine St. Peter and Pohlad would push back if they wanted to go a different direction, but they should! Molitor is popular locally

If that had any bearing on the decision, I'd not only be disappointed, but quite upset.

I can think of other actions that would better curry fan favor, like four dollar beers at the stadium, $140M payrolls, traditional double-headers and owner financed stadiums.

If the Pohlads are making any onfield-impacting calls to appease fans, MLB needs to strip them of their ownership.
  • Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and wsnydes like this

#22 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

I think these guys collaborate and delegate and this year Molitor proved flexible enough to work with his new bosses and even learn some new tricks. Maybe there is some fine print that limits the bunting. This year seemed like more of a group effort than the Gardy regime and Molitor played his role pretty well. I was surprised and pleased that young players were allowed to learn on the job for example. 

• Bill Brown69 likes this

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

If that had any bearing on the decision, I'd not only be disappointed, but quite upset.

I can think of other actions that would better curry fan favor, like four dollar beers at the stadium, $140M payrolls, traditional double-headers and owner financed stadiums.

If the Pohlads are making any onfield-impacting calls to appease fans, MLB needs to strip them of their ownership.

Allowing a franchise owner to have a say in the selection of arguably the most visible member of the franchise is grounds for his/her removal?

I doubt there is any owner of any pro franchise who doesn’t ultimately give a thumbs up or thumbs down to the head coach/manager selection.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

If the front office really wanted a different manager they could get one, but they would have to nail the hire or risk their jobs. And I think it is quite likely they like Molitor, as they should.

I know it's hard to believe, but good relations with a fan base and trying to sell tickets is part of the equation. Ultimately winning is what matters the most (by far), but you can screw up the process in the mean time and do actual damage and cost revenue. It is a massive risk to replace Molitor after his season with media, fan base, corporate sponsors, etc.

I could go either way myself, I don't think managers matter *that* much and I find most criticisms of Molitor on here to be weak sauce.

And yes, an owner is going to have to sign off on a decision of who the manager is (I don't think the Pohlads are going to force a certain move tho). There's not a franchise in professional sports where that's not the case, so I don't think mlb is going to strip them of the team.

Edited by drjim, 09 October 2017 - 06:04 PM.

• PseudoSABR, Dman, howieramone2 and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#25 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,926 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Disappointed, but likely inevitable. The sac bunting and pulling the IF in early in games, and the odd BP moves are hard to watch. We can only hope that the reason it took 4 days is that Molitor had to write on the blackboard 1000 times "I WILL NOT SAC BUNT BEFORE THE 7TH INNING". :)
  • h2oface likes this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#26 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

Neil Allen didn't make it.

Papers...business papers.

#27 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

I thought that towel had a Vikings logo on it. Why is Allen lecturing an offensive lineman, I thought. Anyway...

I've seen national stories documenting the "ineptitude" of decisions made by Maddon and Girardi in the last few days. There are so many ways to critique a manager, but ultimately, wins count the most, especially when accompanied by clubhouse endorsements.

I'm glad to see Molitor back. Better the devil you know... If they flop next year, he'll probably be gone.
  • Don Walcott, Dozier's Glorious Hair and VirginSturgeon like this

#28 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

download+%281%29.gif

But Skip gave me the bunt sign!
  • ashburyjohn, Jerr and Blackjack like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

Not saying Allen shouldn't have been let go. I think there are a number of things we could point to and wonder out load as to the quality of his work. But there were success stories in his tenure with the Twins. Erv has pitched about as well as he has at any time since joining the Twins. Berrios saw big improvement in year two. Gibson really turned things around the second half of this year. Those are just a few examples.

But with less than a full stable of quality arms to work with the past few years, is he really to blame for some of the pitching woes the Twins have had? And to what degree? Will the next guy really make that big of a difference? Or is it more about maturation of the guys on staff and a couple key acquisitions?

Not sure I have the answer...just posing the questions.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#30 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:53 PM

Paul Molitor was a student of the great Dick Siebert, one of the finest college baseball coaches in history. Siebert literally wrote the book on baseball fundamentals. In the early 1970's my dad used to coach little league kids right out of Siebert's book, and among the photos demonstrating correct fielding, throwing, and base running technique was a young college player: Paul Molitor. 

For a team loaded with young, impressionable talent, it's hard to imagine a better teacher than Paul Molitor. It's true that baseball has advanced since Siebert's time, but Molitor is a Hall of Fame example of how to play the game right. Especially in an organization that depends on developing its roster through its own minor league system, you need a manager at the major league level that is also a teacher of the game. 

As this generation of Twins players matures in their expertise, perhaps the team will be better served by a more demonstrative emotional manager. But for now, at least the next few years, Paul Molitor can teach these young guys a lot about baseball. 

• Jerr, Blackjack, benchwarmerjim and 4 others like this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,579 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

How I feel about this is very complex. I'll just leave it at that.

• Jerr, diehardtwinsfan and Sconnie like this

#32 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

How I feel about this is very complex. I'll just leave it at that.

I'm opposed to the move and hope greatly that the Twins win the world series.

• ThejacKmp, Blackjack and Vanimal46 like this

#33 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Not saying Allen shouldn't have been let go. I think there are a number of things we could point to and wonder out load as to the quality of his work. But there were success stories in his tenure with the Twins. Erv has pitched about as well as he has at any time since joining the Twins. Berrios saw big improvement in year two. Gibson really turned things around the second half of this year. Those are just a few examples.

But with less than a full stable of quality arms to work with the past few years, is he really to blame for some of the pitching woes the Twins have had? And to what degree? Will the next guy really make that big of a difference? Or is it more about maturation of the guys on staff and a couple key acquisitions?

Not sure I have the answer...just posing the questions.

I agree with these points. So I hope this move was more about bringing someone else in who Falvine believe will make a difference, rather than assessing blame.

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

It is fascinating to see all the coaches that Molitor hired get fired and Molitor gets rehired.I am fine with him as manager as long as they choose the coaches for him. 

#35 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I think this is a mistake. Besides bunting, Molitor had a lot of problems. This should have been a time for the new FO to make a move but so far they have not done much at all. This should be a mark against them which are starting to add up.

I disagree and here's why.If you look at the season that just wrapped up, the Twins defense improved a lot and it's been documented that Molitor emphasized it early and often in spring training.When management traded away pitching before the deadline, Molitor united the clubhouse - "No retreat. No surrender".They played hard for him.It was the clubhouse, including Molitor, against management trying to prove them wrong and they did.If you replace Molitor with one of their guys, that guy would have already lost the clubhouse before they started.These guys have a bond with Molitor now.They will play for him.

• Jerr, bizaff, DocBauer and 1 other like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#36 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Disappointed, but likely inevitable. The sac bunting and pulling the IF in early in games, and the odd BP moves are hard to watch. We can only hope that the reason it took 4 days is that Molitor had to write on the blackboard 1000 times "I WILL NOT SAC BUNT BEFORE THE 7TH INNING". :)

Enlightening article concerning Molitor and bunting in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

http://www.twincitie...is-a-dying-art/

• Sconnie likes this

#37 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I'm uneasy about Molitor longer-term (I was rooting for Lovullo), but I understand this decision, and three things come to mind:

1. How do we argue with the appearance that this group of players came together and showed some of that elusive sense of cohesion in the final months? Even Joe Mauer said he had fun playing with this group of teammates.  How do we not give Molitor some credit for this?

2. As fans, we can judge in-game stuff, but we don't have much insight about what may be the more important part of managing well, which is managing the clubhouse. We don't see many signs that the players lack respect for Molitor or the coaches, although to me, I find it curious that we don't hear player heaping on credit either. In any event, my own sense is that there isn't a glaring problem in general.

3. This feels like a two year contract in a three year package. The financial risk of changing course at any time is negligible. If I'm a betting man, and I am, I'm betting Paulie isn't around for the entire term of the contract.

#38 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I look at it a bit differently.Molitor is a Jim Pohlad favorite.Before this season he told the FO that they would honor Molitor deal through the conclusion of his contract, which makes me think they were already looking to replace him (why Jeff Pickler was brought in). 

I am not under the impression that he was Falvey's or Levine's first choice, but they were stuck between a rock and a hard place.Apparently the players like him (Molitor), ownership loves him and after this season they really had no choice but to keep him around.I'm sure Paul knows this and was in the driver's seat during contract negotiations, obviously wanting the years.He either got the years in a new contract or walked away, which would have been difficult for the newer front office to explain to the fans and ownership. 

But as some other posters have stated I think Jeff Pickler is likely in the running as next manager.He is a big analytics guy and graduated magna cum laude at UT.I wouldn't be surprised that he continues to take on a much larger role in the clubhouse during the next three years. 

• Jerr and spinowner like this

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

I look at it a bit differently. Molitor is a Jim Pohlad favorite. Before this season he told the FO that they would honor Molitor deal through the conclusion of his contract, which makes me think they were already looking to replace him (why Jeff Pickler was brought in).

I am not under the impression that he was Falvey's or Levine's first choice, but they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Apparently the players like him (Molitor), ownership loves him and after this season they really had no choice but to keep him around. I'm sure Paul knows this and was in the driver's seat during contract negotiations, obviously wanting the years. He either got the years in a new contract or walked away, which would have been difficult for the newer front office to explain to the fans and ownership.

But as some other posters have stated I think Jeff Pickler is likely in the running as next manager. He is a big analytics guy and graduated magna cum laude at UT. I wouldn't be surprised that he continues to take on a much larger role in the clubhouse during the next three years.

I don’t see it. Falvey’s previous manager was Terry Francona, very much a player’s manager. I know Pickler played in the minors for several yearss, but I think the players look at him as the computer geek. I could see Pickler being bench coach.

#40 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

I don’t see it. Falvey’s previous manager was Terry Francona, very much a player’s manager. I know Pickler played in the minors for several yearss, but I think the players look at him as the computer geek. I could see Pickler being bench coach.

I absolutely don't agree with your opinion, but that's fine.

He's what 41 / 42?So he's a young guy, but he's also a statistician whereas Molitor is old school.

Gordon Jones had a good piece on him earlier this year and described him as confident, organized and having the confidence of the players.He's actual quite hands on as the outfield coach.Hardly a shy computer geek hiding behind his computer screen upstairs or in the corner of the dugout.  

He's functioned as a scout for the Diamondbacks for three years, an assistant coach for the University of Arizona and special assistant in scouting and player development for the Dodgers from 2014-2017.His father coached college baseball for 30+ years. Hardly a nerd.I think that along with Rowson and Smith he has been part of the reason for the turn around.

http://minnesota.cbs...h-jeff-pickler/

Edited by laloesch, 10 October 2017 - 12:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, derek falvey, thad levine