Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor League/prospect rehab updates 2018

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Without undergoing the knife?

Yes without undergoing, tried editting the post but was denied.

#22 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the input. So with conservative physical therapy the symptoms could go away? Or will that tingling and numbness feeling always be there? 

Yes, depending on the severity and the rehab/therapy it could go away or at the very least minimize.Then again it could reoccur or worsen.Now I don't know if Jay has had this issue in the past but it's likely he's had it or something similar just to a lesser degree as it usually just doesn't appear out of nowhere.Then again he also "started" for the first time in 2016 something he did only twice in college.Whether the correlation has causation that's debatable with no real answer.  

Honestly, I'd look to see how Ty Jay is used in the AFL as his future use.I have to believe the Twins are regulating him to the pen in the future with the thought that he can become more or less a "super reliever" if his TOS symptoms subside.Someone who if he has to, can give you 40 to 50 pitches, a Chris Devanski-Andrew Miller type pitcher. If healthy, he'd give the Falvey/Levine Co. a nice pen option in the 2018 second half.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,464 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

, Kam Mickoli,

He is 34 or so; wonder why he is still around

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have no idea, maybe terms of his agreement, but he's pretty damn hard to miss.Giant with a gnome beard.

• Thrylos and Deduno Abides like this

#25 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

I have no idea, maybe terms of his agreement, but he's pretty damn hard to miss.Giant with a gnome beard.

What about Kohn? He seemed like a veteran rehab candidate who moved up as the season went on and did OK. He once supposedly had a power arm.

#26 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the update on who's there Bob, I enjoy the information!

No problem, at this point it's just literally a drive by albeit multiple times thru the complex.This weekend the Centurylink backfields were filled with the Perfect Game World Underclass players, basically the new wave of future MLBers and first rounders in two to three years.  

Couple of personal stories, I'l give from over the weekend.I make no bones of my affinity for Nick Gordon, I've seen him play since his sophomore year in high school, and let's just say he remembers at this point. While getting him to sign some old pictures, I asked him about being able to hit his dad, Tom "Flash" Gordon, nasty curveball.He just gave me a smile and said you'll have to ask him, he's around here somewhere.When I ran into Tom around the corner, I asked him and he gave me a half cocked smile and asked "what did Nick tell you?"I told him and he said to ask you, Tom said "I've thrown them that since he was kid, why do you think they (Nick and Dee) hit left handed."Tom laughs awhile.

My other interaction was with Travis Blankenhorn, Royce Lewis and Jaylin Davis.Royce saw me coming with my autobook and was trying to bail away but I had nothing for him and I wanted the other two for some old photos. As I asked for Blanky and JayD to sign, Royce did a vee-line back to see what they were signing and both players told "that bum prospect to get away, no one wants your autograph".

Alright last story, total eavesdropping, Coach Joe Lepel was talking about fungos as MiLB hitting coach Rick Eckstein instituted a new game of having the hitters retrieve balls in the outfield and hit them back into the infield which the players absolutely loved and Eckstein said was working on our ball to barrel ratio .Lepel recalled an encounter he had with Molitor and his fungo work.If you don't know, Molly is known for his poor ability to hit a fungo in practice.Lepel said "I asked Molly, how can someone who has over 3000 hits in the big leagues can't hit a fungo to save his life?"According to Joe, Molitor's reply was a stone cold face saying "How many hits in the show do you have?"

Edited by Bob Sacamento, 09 October 2017 - 09:23 PM.

• snepp, Halsey Hall and RaymondLuxuryYacht like this

#27 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:29 AM

AAA depth. He is a current FO signing so he might have a history of pitching their style.It always helps to have someone around to sell the system on the insideThe Indian way with technology, stats, fastball second, curve first mentality is a lot different then the old ways

#28 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Some very informative replies, guys, thanks for that. I'll also be interested in seeing how they use Tyler Jay during this upcoming AFL season. How many games will the team play in the AFL?

#29 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Molitor's reply was a stone cold face saying "How many hits in the show do you have?"

I like to think that this is his stock reply for anybody in the FO who disagrees with him.

#30 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

Since someone asked, I was just at the complex this weekend as the short-team "Instructs" roster was set to be done on Saturday (Cabbage, Blankenhorn, Gordon, Palacios, Hamilton, English, Navarato, Rortvedt, Baddoo, Jaylin Davis).While there I saw several of the rehab pitchers: Nick Burdi, JT Chagois, Kam Mickoli, as well as Johan Quezada.In addition to those players another 20 or so were are in camp (Royce Lewis, John Rodriguez, Moises Gomez, etc) for strength and conditioning program that goes on for the next two weeks then followed by another group working out at the complex for another three weeks.

Since someone asked, I was just at the complex this weekend as the short-team "Instructs" roster was set to be done on Saturday (Cabbage, Blankenhorn, Gordon, Palacios, Hamilton, English, Navarato, Rortvedt, Baddoo, Jaylin Davis).While there I saw several of the rehab pitchers: Nick Burdi, JT Chagois, Kam Mickoli, as well as Johan Quezada.In addition to those players another 20 or so were are in camp (Royce Lewis, John Rodriguez, Moises Gomez, etc) for strength and conditioning program that goes on for the next two weeks then followed by another group working out at the complex for another three weeks.

Bob Sacamento (or B.S. for short) Thanks for this update. I always enjoy hearing your perspectives, since you are there in Ft. Myers and especially since you have injury treatment knowledge due to your profession, that none of the rest of us have. I'll always remember meeting you last year and telling you I had pitched in high school and that I was starting to throw softball with my 11 year old stepdaughter. You asked one question with a big grin on your face: "How's your shoulder?" You somehow knew my shoulder was killing me...and you told me you had seen that happen many times in your profession. You were spot on. I'll look for you at Ft. Myers in March. I'll contact you and let you know when we will be coming to Ft. Myers.

#31 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

TOS surgery doesn't exactly have a good success rate, it's up there with labrum and anterior capsule operations.Currently Tyler is undergoing conservative physical rehab/therapy on the shoulder and I've seen it work, I've also seen it fail.But what it does tell is that it's the brachial plexus (the nerves) that is bothersome and likely causing tingling and numbness into his fingers.It also signals that the subclavian vascularizaiton isn't being comprimised (no loss of blood supply to the hand/fingers.When vascular is jacked up, surgery is a must; but if it's just nerve irritation that can be relieved with undergoing the knife.

Good news - I was concerned about subclavian vascularizaiton

• 70charger likes this