Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor League/prospect rehab updates 2018

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

Thinking ahead already towards the 2018 season. I'm wondering what the status is for some of the several players who missed all or a portion of this past season. Players such as Nick Burdi, Alex Kiriloff, Tyler Jay, and J. T. Chargois come immediately to mind. Will these guys be ready for the start of the next season?

• glunn, tarheeltwinsfan and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#2 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

What about May?

• glunn, Dantes929, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#3 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

My $0.02:

Burdi- TJ in late May: typically around a 12-18 month recovery. I suspect he will be ramping up before the AS break, hopefully if everything goes smoothly he would be available to MLB club 2nd half of season. Will be interesting to see if the TJ returners are put on an innings limit by Falvine.

Kiriloff- TJ about March 9: Of course, it is less strenuous on a position player's elbow after TJ than a pitcher. Usually they can hit after around 4-5 months and I would be hopeful he would be ready to go next spring.

Tyler Jay- surgery for TOS in early July?: TOS is always a difficult prognosis because of the relative rarity of the surgery (compared to TJ, for example) and the wide variability in previous cases. Hard to make prediction. Seems possible that he may be ready for ST, but I wouldn't be surprised if he needs a little more time than that.

JT Chargois- 'out for season 9/5': had a hard time finding info- don't see anything that says he had surgery. Stress reaction of elbow is what I could find. Can be a very wide variation in timing depending on a number of factors. Hopefully a few months is enough time, but I have seen some cases take longer.

Trevor May- TJ in late March: Same as Burdi, just with the timetable moved ahead a couple months. I think it will be asking a lot to have him in the rotation out of ST, but it's certainly possible. 

• ashburyjohn, glunn, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

If I remember correctly, Jay rehashed and avoided surgery before sneaking in some A ball innings late in the year. Weren't there rumors he was going to be added to the AFL?
  • Heezy1323, dbminn, sftwinsfan and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Tyler Jay is, indeed, on the Arizona Fall League roster of Surprise.

If Trevor May comes back in spring training, I doubt that he will be ramped up to enter the rotation immediately. Whatever the Twins can get out of him in 2018, be it long or short relief, would be a blessing. And thoughts of a return to the rotation after that.

With Kiriloff, what level will he start at when he comes back is the big question. I'm sure he's training hard to keep himself in position in the Twins prosect race.

Chargois' status is totally unknown by me. Anyone have any news? Also, Zack Jones...is he a viable guy to bring back into the organization for yet another season?

Ryan O'Rourke seems to be on the road to recovery. The question is, will his left-handed uniqueness keep him on the 40-man? I would keep him, at this point, almost over say, Boshers.

Good old Mr. Hughes. I imagine a hard decision has to be made to keep him on the 40-man, since last rumored that his injury MAY be career ending. Two more years under contract for him.

40-man roster decisions will be interesting. You can't have too many injury recoveries and too many not-ready-for-bigtime-yet prospects on the 40-man, yet you still have to protect them. That's where the possibility of swinging trades this past summer could've been a viable factor (imagine the Twins with Verlander, perhaps).

• glunn, nicksaviking, Heezy1323 and 2 others like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Since someone asked, I was just at the complex this weekend as the short-team "Instructs" roster was set to be done on Saturday (Cabbage, Blankenhorn, Gordon, Palacios, Hamilton, English, Navarato, Rortvedt, Baddoo, Jaylin Davis).While there I saw several of the rehab pitchers: Nick Burdi, JT Chagois, Kam Mickoli, as well as Johan Quezada.In addition to those players another 20 or so were are in camp (Royce Lewis, John Rodriguez, Moises Gomez, etc) for strength and conditioning program that goes on for the next two weeks then followed by another group working out at the complex for another three weeks.

• jorgenswest, glunn, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

What about May?

What about Sano?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

What about Sano?

Last I checked Sano isn't a minor leaguer. Neither is May. Probably why neither were on this list.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#9 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Last I checked Sano isn't a minor leaguer. Neither is May. Probably why neither were on this list.

I must have missed the part that says it is a minor league rehab update.In fact I am still missing it.May was the the first name I was looking for.I'm really hoping for him to come back awesome.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I must have missed the part that says it is a minor league rehab update.In fact I am still missing it.May was the the first name I was looking for.I'm really hoping for him to come back awesome.

It's in the minor league forum.

Papers...business papers.

#11 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

When there are recent responses in the threadit shows up on the right of the main screen under the forums.No notation as to which sub forum it is in to guide a person so as to limitthe conversation.

#12 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

When there are recent responses in the threadit shows up on the right of the main screen under the forums.No notation as to which sub forum it is in to guide a person so as to limitthe conversation.

Well thank you both. Clears it up for me.

• old nurse, drjim, twinssouth and 1 other like this

#13 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

I must have missed the part that says it is a minor league rehab update. In fact I am still missing it. May was the the first name I was looking for. I'm really hoping for him to come back awesome.

It's posted in the minor league forum, and with the absence of major leaguers on the list, I guess I made that assumption. But you are correct that nothing explicitly says so ... except the title which I've now just changed. ;)

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

It sure would be nice to get a recap on Tyler Jay's season. It was very strange that he was slated for TOS surgery, then elected not to have it. Is he fully recovered now? Did he just delay the inevitable that could hinder his 2018 season?

Not sure it's smart to hope and rely on prospects who have lost multiple seasons due to arm injuries... Chargois is now going on 3 lost seasons, Burdi 2. 

• Heezy1323, Taildragger8791 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#15 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Trevor May Update:

• Thrylos, Kevin, James and 2 others like this

#16 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Based on his Twitch streams at least May has felt pretty good about his rehab thus far. Could tell he was bummed about not being able to contribute to the Wild Card push though.

#17 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

It sure would be nice to get a recap on Tyler Jay's season. It was very strange that he was slated for TOS surgery, then elected not to have it. Is he fully recovered now? Did he just delay the inevitable that could hinder his 2018 season?

Not sure it's smart to hope and rely on prospects who have lost multiple seasons due to arm injuries... Chargois is now going on 3 lost seasons, Burdi 2. 

TOS surgery doesn't exactly have a good success rate, it's up there with labrum and anterior capsule operations.Currently Tyler is undergoing conservative physical rehab/therapy on the shoulder and I've seen it work, I've also seen it fail.But what it does tell is that it's the brachial plexus (the nerves) that is bothersome and likely causing tingling and numbness into his fingers.It also signals that the subclavian vascularizaiton isn't being comprimised (no loss of blood supply to the hand/fingers.When vascular is jacked up, surgery is a must; but if it's just nerve irritation that can be relieved with undergoing the knife.

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,512 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

TOS surgery doesn't exactly have a good success rate, it's up there with labrum and anterior capsule operations.Currently Tyler is undergoing conservative physical rehab/therapy on the shoulder and I've seen it work, I've also seen it fail.But what it does tell is that it's the brachial plexus (the nerves) that is bothersome and likely causing tingling and numbness into his fingers.It also signals that the subclavian vascularizaiton isn't being comprimised (no loss of blood supply to the hand/fingers.When vascular is jacked up, surgery is a must; but if it's just nerve irritation that can be relieved with undergoing the knife.

Thanks for the input. So with conservative physical therapy the symptoms could go away? Or will that tingling and numbness feeling always be there? 

#19 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Writers
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

When vascular is jacked up, surgery is a must; but if it's just nerve irritation that can be relieved with undergoing the knife.

Without undergoing the knife?

• Bob Sacamento and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#20 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

Since someone asked, I was just at the complex this weekend as the short-team "Instructs" roster was set to be done on Saturday (Cabbage, Blankenhorn, Gordon, Palacios, Hamilton, English, Navarato, Rortvedt, Baddoo, Jaylin Davis).While there I saw several of the rehab pitchers: Nick Burdi, JT Chagois, Kam Mickoli, as well as Johan Quezada.In addition to those players another 20 or so were are in camp (Royce Lewis, John Rodriguez, Moises Gomez, etc) for strength and conditioning program that goes on for the next two weeks then followed by another group working out at the complex for another three weeks.

Thanks for the update on who's there Bob, I enjoy the information!

You're killin' me Smalls!