Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Francisco Lindor

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

Can I just say that, if I could pick one player to build a team around, it would be Francisco Lindor, ahead of Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Manny Machado, Carlos Correa, Clayton Kershaw or anyone else.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

I think he could be the #2 pick after Trout.
  • gil4 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#3 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

Yes, of course you would build a team around a great SS. Currently only Lindor and Seager are well above average both defensively and offensively. Not being able to draft a franchise SS in ~4 decades is one of the key failures of the Twins organization.

#4 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

Why Lindor over Correa and/or Seager?

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

I would take any of them without hesitation, but I would potentially sacrifice a little bat for the better defense now and long term.
Papers...business papers.

#6 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Well, you're talking great, great and great. Anyone would be happy with any of the three. The reasons I like Lindor are his defense and intangibles. He seems like Kirby Puckett, in the best way possible, as a guy that will be great in the clubhouse and step up when his team needs him.
  • USAFChief likes this

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,443 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Well, you're talking great, great and great. Anyone would be happy with any of the three. The reasons I like Lindor are his defense and intangibles. He seems like Kirby Puckett, in the best way possible, as a guy that will be great in the clubhouse and step up when his team needs him.

Ok, I can see that.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#8 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,175 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

I don't see any way you don't take Trout #1. Six seasons, all of them easily MVP-caliber or better. Just 2 years older than Lindor.

Non-Trout division, I could see there being a good discussion on who's #1.

• gil4 and drjim like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#9 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

I don't see any way you don't take Trout #1. Six seasons, all of them easily MVP-caliber or better. Just 2 years older than Lindor.

Non-Trout division, I could see there being a good discussion on who's #1.

It would be awesome to have Trout. He is the best player. Lindor, however, seems have intangibles that aren't counted in statistics.

#10 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,175 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

It would be awesome to have Trout. He is the best player. Lindor, however, seems have intangibles that aren't counted in statistics.

No arguments here, I'd love to have Lindor, and he'd certainly be on my short list to start a franchise with.

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Lindor joined one of the best pitching staffs in baseball; Trout plays for the Angels. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable reading any "intangibles deficit" into that.
  • WLFINN and jimmer like this

#12 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

Mike Trout is 26 and possibly the best baseball player who has ever lived. So, I understand the sentiment-- Lindor is fantastic, with infinitely more charisma. But everyone has to get in line behind Mike Trout.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#13 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

A buddy of mine have discussed several times how someone needs to rescue Trout from the Angels.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#14 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Lindor is one of the best 10 to 15 players in baseball, but he's not even close to Trout, or Harper if you want to gamble a little on health. Lindor has put up an OPS of .792 and .842 the past two years. Very good for a great fielding SS, but he's not quite in the elite player category for me at this point.

#15 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

Did next to zilch besides that one hit against the Yankees in the division series. Would fit right in as a Twin.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Lindor has put up an OPS of .792 and .842 the past two years. Very good for a great fielding SS, but he's not quite in the elite player category for me at this point.

Those would be fantastic offense numbers even for a league-average fielder at that position. If you believe Lindor is a great-fielding SS, then I believe you are underselling him to say even "best 10 to 15".

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,036 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

A buddy of mine have discussed several times how someone needs to rescue Trout from the Angels.

Or maybe the Angels will save him by signing one of Harper, Machado, or Kershaw next off-season... They have the budget to make them an offer they can't refuse! 

#18 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

Seems like a common sentiment, after the Angels were eliminated from the wild card race I saw that Angels fans were posting that Trout is wasted on their team.