Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Bruce's check swing and the evolution of baseball officiating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Watching the Yankees/Indians, Bruce appears to check swing on the Garcia pitch. Sanchez appeals. O'nora calls "no swing". Girardi barks. The TV review shows what should have been a swing call. Matt Vasgerian states "Let's hope we don't devolve to the point where a manager can challenge a check swing call."

It made me consider where myself or others stand on that statement. Should it be "devolving" or "evolving"?

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,899 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

Yes.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,888 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

No.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,038 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Watching the Yankees/Indians, Bruce appears to check swing on the Garcia pitch. Sanchez appeals. O'nora calls "no swing". Girardi barks. The TV review shows what should have been a swing call. Matt Vasgerian states "Let's hope we don't devolve to the point where a manager can challenge a check swing call."

It made me consider where myself or others stand on that statement. Should it be "devolving" or "evolving"?

A fully automated strikezone seems to be in our future, and maybe the motion detection cameras can also be used to determine how far through the strike zone the head of the bat goes through. Until then, I don't think video review of checked swings is a good use of time.

• nicksaviking and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

A fully automated strikezone seems to be in our future, and maybe the motion detection cameras can also be used to determine how far through the strike zone the head of the bat goes through. Until then, I don't think video review of checked swings is a good use of time.

Agreed, if we're not challenging balls/strikes I don't see why we'd challenge a check swing which is simply an extension of balls/strikes.

If (when) the strike zone gets automated that will too.

#6 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,166 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Matt Vasgerian is like Harold Reynolds.He wants to go back to the 70s and have baseball talked about and played like it was then.Also, he likely doesn't know what devolve means.Someone likely had to look that word up for him.That guy isn't exactly what one would call intelligent :-)

In any event, the rule about check swing is pretty open to interpretation from the umpire.It's not like fair or foul, out or safe.

Edited by jimmer, 07 October 2017 - 10:25 AM.

• gil4 likes this

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,899 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Matt Vasgerian is like Harold Reynolds.He wants to go back to the 70s and have baseball talked about and played like it was then.Also, he likely doesn't know what devolve means.Someone likely had to look that word up for him.That guy isn't exactly what one would call intelligent :-)

In any event, the rule about check swing is pretty open to interpretation from the umpire.It's not like fair or foul, out or safe.

So then he doesn't want to go back to the seventies. He wants it left up to the umpire, like the rule book calls for.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#8 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I don't know if there are any statistics regarding reviews of calls on check swings. I've seen statistics that the best umpires are about 90% correct on balls and strikes compared to automated systems and I would guess that corner base umpires are better at judging check swings than home plate umpires are at judging balls and strikes.