Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Playoff Hate-watch

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

If I squint, I don't mind the Dodgers making it out of the NL. It has been a long time coming for them. 

My only hope left, and it looks like for several others here, is rooting for Houston. 

Watching Aaron Judge at the plate annoys me. It's like he's out there playing slow pitch softball when others are playing a real baseball game. Every single time he's upper cutting the hell out of that ball and swinging out of his shoes. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#42 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'd be less unhappy seeing the Dodgers in the series than seeing the Cubs there. But if the Yankees get in I'll want both teams to lose.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#43 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,778 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hernandez hitting three HRs last night was sort of neat...until it presented the announcer crew with an opportunity to remind me of Adam ******* Kennedy.

• snepp, SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#44 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hernandez hitting three HRs last night was sort of neat...until it presented the announcer crew with an opportunity to remind me of Adam ******* Kennedy.

Yep. I googled it to confirm that my memory was accurate. Not a good memory.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#45 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

disaster averted
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#46 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

29 curveballs by McCullers to finish the game. It's a curveball league now, good to see Falvey had started that shift last year.
Papers...business papers.

#47 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,778 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

disaster averted

Concur.

I saw somewhere Yankees-Dodgers referred to as a "Make America Great Again World Series."
  • snepp likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#48 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

I have no animosity toward the Dodgers. As Vanimal said, it's been a long time for them. Also when the Dozier to Dodgers trade thread was going last off-season several of their fans logged in here and offered the viewpoint from LA, which was helpful and interesting.

And like spinowner said about the Red Sox, my attitude is now that the Cubs have broken the curse and are a monster-money powerhouse, I'm not all that fond of them anymore.

And how can you watch Altuve and not be at least kind of an Astros fan?

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Blake, snepp and 1 other like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#49 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Thank goodness. Although I was pretty annoyed the game wasn't on regular Fox. Game 7 of the ALCS doesn't make it to network prime time?

I made it halfway through a Yankees fan-writer's rationalizing piece on the Ringer, proclaiming this is the advent of the next Dynasty and Yankees fans are fine because they would have been happy just making the playoffs.

Then I had to clean the puke off my keyboard.

#50 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Concur.
I saw somewhere Yankees-Dodgers referred to as a "Make America Great Again World Series."

Oh barf. Seriously. Ugh. What a thing to read on a Sunday morning.
  • snepp likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#51 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

I have no animosity toward the Dodgers. As Vanimal said, it's been a long time for them. Also when the Dozier to Dodgers trade thread was going last off-season several of their fans logged in here and offered the viewpoint from LA, which was helpful and interesting.
And like spinowner said about the Red Sox, my attitude is now that the Cubs have broken the curse and are a monster-money powerhouse, I'm not all that fond of them anymore.

And how can you watch Altuve and not be at least kind of an Astros fan?

Omg ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Altuve! I am going to cheer on the Astros to the end of this!

And McCullers ... wow ... that was an amazing game for him ... just wow.
  • Blake and Oldgoat_MN like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#52 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,762 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Omg ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Altuve! I am going to cheer on the Astros to the end of this!

And McCullers ... wow ... that was an amazing game for him ... just wow.

I work with several Dodger fans and I told them up front I'd root for Houston if they made it to the Series and root for the Dodgers if New York made the series.

Funny thing is, I also told several of the same people a few months ago that I'd like to see a Houston/LA series.

#53 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

A Dodgers - Yankees world series, #1 payroll vs #2 payroll, probably isn't ideal for baseball, even though both teams are compelling in their own ways.

This is exactly what the money men want: two biggest TV markets engaged, high ratings, bigger contract next time. 

The people who run baseball really only value teams like the Twins as novelties to fill up the schedule and make sure that the Yankees and Red Sox (or Dodgers and Cubs) don't have to play each other every game.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

This is exactly what the money men want: two biggest TV markets engaged, high ratings, bigger contract next time.

The people who run baseball really only value teams like the Twins as novelties to fill up the schedule and make sure that the Yankees and Red Sox (or Dodgers and Cubs) don't have to play each other every game.

I agree that Fox would want LA and NY, but the national broadcast rights make up a significantly smaller portion of league revenue compared to nfl and nba, and it really won't make munch of a difference in the next round of negotiations.

It is good to mlbs bottom line to have NY and LA in the hunt each year, and they'll have their wish I suspect.
Papers...business papers.

#55 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Houston is currently the fourth-largest metropolis in the country, and soon will pass Chicago for third. The networks were totally fine with any of the final four teams.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#56 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Houston is currently the fourth-largest metropolis in the country, and soon will pass Chicago for third. The networks were totally fine with any of the final four teams.

True, but I don't think that the media market is anywhere close to NY or LA. Plus (having lived in Houston for 10 years) baseball is an afterthought in Texas. Football rules.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#57 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

True, but I don't think that the media market is anywhere close to NY or LA. Plus (having lived in Houston for 10 years) baseball is an afterthought in Texas. Football rules.

No doubt. But also keep in mind that two teams split each of the top three markets and Houston has only the Astros.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0