Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Playoff Hate-watch

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hi gang!  

Had a whale of a busy August-September, so couldn't spend much time on the threads. But things now leveling off a bit, just in time for playoff ball with no Home Team involved.*sniff*

So, just wondering---who do you really, really, not want to see go another round, and especially would hate to see stinkin' up the Series? There are polls around and stuff, but how about reasons behind the hate? Did an Astro once run over your dog? Do you suffer from arkoudaphobia? Do you still hate John Denver and all things Colorado because your girlfriend made you get that haircut like his back then?  

I'm going to open with the low-hanging fruit. Da Yanks, and Da Red Sawks--Because they're who they are, for starters, with all the $$$ in the world to cherry-pick free agents. But mostly, and most infuriatingly, because of their obnoxious, imperious, entitled fans. Nothing better than to stick it to 'em, especially in their own yard, and watch those ninnies whine and cry.

(Sidebar-- the famous recording of Bobby Thompson's "shot heard round the world" was recorded by a Dodger fan, who started taping because he wanted to hear Giants announcer Russ Hodges cry.... Well, he cried, alright, in a slightly different way.)

So there you go- In the heirarchy of my hate, also go the Astros, cuz they're from Texas, land of gerry-mandered nut job politicos. And the Dodgers, cuz my ex-who-done-me-wrong and I used to live near the Stadium and go to lots of games together. And the Snakes, because Joe Arpaio and Jan Brewer.  

Full disclosure:I lived about 4 blocks from Wrigley for all of the 1990s- so I favour the Cubbies. Or theTribe, cuz they're our division pals.

Whaddya got?

Edited by David HK, 05 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#2 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

OH! First reply!

Haw haw haw! Sale got lit! Haw haw haw! And the Red Sox got greased in game 1! Haw haw haw haw haw.....!

:jump:

Edited by David HK, 05 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Indians are up 3-0 over the Yankees and Bauer hasn't given up a hit. Hopefully they don't lose this lead like we did.

Don't worry, at least it's not a 5-0 lead, the most dangerous lead in baseball.

• snepp and David HK like this

#4 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

Heh... and the Twinks strategically made them use their bullpen aces for a ton of pitches in the WC game. Sweeeeeeeet....

• Danchat likes this

#5 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hi gang!  

Had a whale of a busy August-September, so couldn't spend much time on the threads. But things now leveling off a bit, just in time for playoff ball with no Home Team involved.*sniff*

So, just wondering---who do you really, really, not want to see go another round, and especially would hate to see stinkin' up the Series? There are polls around and stuff, but how about reasons behind the hate? Did an Astro once run over your dog? Do you suffer from arkoudaphobia? Do you still hate John Denver and all things Colorado because your girlfriend made you get that haircut like his back then?  

I'm going to open with the low-hanging fruit. Da Yanks, and Da Red Sawks--Because they're who they are, for starters, with all the $$$ in the world to cherry-pick free agents. But mostly, and most infuriatingly, because of their obnoxious, imperious, entitled fans. Nothing better than to stick it to 'em, especially in their own yard, and watch those ninnies whine and cry.

(Sidebar-- the famous recording of Bobby Thompson's "shot heard round the world" was recorded by a Dodger fan, who started taping because he wanted to hear Giants announcer Russ Hodges cry.... Well, he cried, alright, in a slightly different way.)

So there you go- In the heirarchy of my hate, also go the Astros, cuz they're from Texas, land of gerry-mandered nut job politicos. And the Dodgers, cuz my ex-who-done-me-wrong and I used to live near the Stadium and go to lots of games together. And the Snakes, because Joe Arpaio and Jan Brewer.  

Full disclosure:I lived about 4 blocks from Wrigley for all of the 1990s- so I favour the Cubbies. Or theTribe, cuz they're our division pals.

Whaddya got?

I have the Tribe to win it all at 7 to 1. :)

• David HK likes this

#6 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

'Do you still hate John Denver and all things Colorado because your girlfriend made you get that haircut like his back then?'

Well, unfortunately, they didn't make it past the one game wild card (one game, should be a best of three).

Anyway, I don't want the Yankees, Dodgers or Nats.My preference is Cleveland first or the Astros second.

Edited by jimmer, 05 October 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• Blake likes this

#7 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

First of all - go Indians. 'Nuf said about that. I'm a Twins fan but I can't muster hatred of Aaron Judge, even though he wears the pinstripes he is an exciting player and seems like a decent guy. On the opposite side I can't stand Aroldis Chapman, I wanted the Cubs to win last year but part of me enjoyed watching the game tying home run in the World Series. And how can you not like Jose Altuve? Dude's about as big as me and he hit three home runs yesterday. Since I am a Twins fan I have sympathy for fans of other teams that haven't won in awhile so I'm rooting for the Indians (or secondly the Astros). I guess you could put the Nationals in that category but they are still kinda new - their fans haven't suffered enough, haha. I like the Cubs but they just won last year and the Diamondbacks and Red Sox have also won recently. And really, who roots for the Yankees or the Dodgers? 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#8 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

First of all - go Indians. 'Nuf said about that. I'm a Twins fan but I can't muster hatred of Aaron Judge, even though he wears the pinstripes he is an exciting player and seems like a decent guy. On the opposite side I can't stand Aroldis Chapman, I wanted the Cubs to win last year but part of me enjoyed watching the game tying home run in the World Series. And how can you not like Jose Altuve? Dude's about as big as me and he hit three home runs yesterday. Since I am a Twins fan I have sympathy for fans of other teams that haven't won in awhile so I'm rooting for the Indians (or secondly the Astros). I guess you could put the Nationals in that category but they are still kinda new - their fans haven't suffered enough, haha. I like the Cubs but they just won last year and the Diamondbacks and Red Sox have also won recently. And really, who roots for the Yankees or the Dodgers? 

Nice; can't argue with any of this.The Tribe for me.I have a friend who is a long-suffering Indians fan, and he's always been gracious when our teams meet.His daughter lives in Houston and loves the Astros, but that's his problem!

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

I'd be happy with either Cleveland or the 'Stros from the AL. I'd like the Nats to win the NL. And I think those three teams are set up the best, but we'll see.

And I'd love for the Dodgers to go down in this first round. The D'Backs played them well this year so it could happen. We'll see.

And being from Chicago, I couldn't care less about the Cubs. The majority of their fans know nothing of the team, or baseball in general for that matter. But locally, I bet more people watch the Bears game on Monday night than watch the Cubs. Chicago will always be a football first town.

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#10 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

Cleveland and the Yankees are in the 13th inning.

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#11 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Well, that was a nice finish ... Cleveland wins in the bottom of the 13th.
  • Danchat and Longdistancetwins like this

#12 Aggies7

Aggies7

How Do I Have 0 Warning Points?

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

Since 2003, the Yankees are 41-42 in the playoffs

13-2 against the twins
28-40 against everyone else

BARF

Edited by Aggies7, 06 October 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• USAFChief, snepp, notoriousgod71 and 3 others like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Wow what an 8th inning for the Nats!
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#14 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Kintzler came on in the 7th and got the unorthodox 8-4-3 DP on a well hit ball to the gap. He's still in there for the 8th. Gave up a leadoff single and then got an out on a sac bunt. Still in there, tie game. Could very well be the nats season

Edited by Aggies7, 09 October 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#15 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

Strikes out Bryant. 2 outs and he's pulled. Still responsible for runner af 2nd

#16 Aggies7

Aggies7

• Members
  • 6,492 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

The run scores, unfortunately for Brandon. Nats looking at their 4th straight NLDS loss.

#17 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

It's not over yet, but it looks likely that the Indians are going to be eliminated. I feel genuinely bad for them and their fans. This one is going to sting (way worse than what we felt last week.)

#18 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

It's not over yet, but it looks likely that the Indians are going to be eliminated. I feel genuinely bad for them and their fans. This one is going to sting (way worse than what we felt last week.)

I don't feel bad for the fans, and that sting is what I consider the silver lining around the dark cloud of the Yankees winning again.

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Yikes, Cleveland blew a 2-0 lead. Kluber, the likely Cy Young, ended up with a 12.2 ERA for the series.

All this with Judge batting .067 and 12 strikeouts! 

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Fun with numbers:

Aaron Judge now has the all-time record with 4 strikeout games in the playoffs (3). He also had more strikeouts (16) than Tony Gwynn's 1995 season or Joe DiMaggio's 1941 season/post season. 

• USAFChief and snepp like this