Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Surgery for Sano?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

If surgery is necessary for this (which I continue to believe is unlikely), the approximate healing time is likely around 6-10 weeks. As such, performing surgery Sept 1st or Oct 1st carries no additional benefit when compared to Nov 1st with respect to having him ready for ST in February. I suspect that is the reasoning. 

One advantage I can think of, for proceeding ASAP, is if the injury interferes with his overall conditioning program right now.

• glunn likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#42 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

One advantage I can think of, for proceeding ASAP, is if the injury interferes with his overall conditioning program right now.

That's a pretty fair point. 

In these situations I often advise swimming or doing work on an underwater treadmill apparatus. There are also anti-gravity treadmills available that allow people to work out at as little as 50% of their bodyweight. These could allow conditioning with less risk of worsening a stress reaction. 

• ashburyjohn, glunn, snepp and 1 other like this

#43 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Mauer was 1st in UZR for MLB 1B and 6th in DRS for MLB 1B (only 6th due to innings). His performance at 1B was much better than 'Good'

Twins finished 8th in UZR and 10th in DRS.

And Sano optimal position has always been DH.

Where do you come up with your team stats? FanGraphs has Twins at 19th in DRS.

As for Mauer, being one of the better first basemen is "good," in my book, based on the overall impact, but I can see why others would consider it "great." Buxton was great; Mauer was not equivalent. Regardless, the team's overall defense, even with these two leaders, is just middle of the pack. A slick fielding third baseman who can be about league average at the plate could be an inexpensive way to improve the team while saving money for other positions - and letting Sano focus on his bat and his health.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 08 October 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#44 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Mauer was 1st in UZR for MLB 1B and 6th in DRS for MLB 1B (only 6th due to innings). His performance at 1B was much better than 'Good'

Twins finished 8th in UZR and 10th in DRS.

And Sano optimal position has always been DH.

As for Mauer, being one of the better first basemen is "good," in my book, based on the overall impact, but I can see why others would consider it "great." Buxton was great; Mauer was not equivalent. Regardless, the team's overall defense, even with these two leaders, is just middle of the pack. A slick fielding third baseman who can be about league average at the plate could be an inexpensive way to improve the team while saving money for other positions - and letting Sano focus on his bat and his health.

Mauer was 1st in UZR for MLB 1B and 6th in DRS for MLB 1B (only 6th due to innings). His performance at 1B was much better than 'Good' Twins finished 8th in UZR and 10th in DRS. And Sano optimal position has always been DH.
And here, this is for you.
IMG_0395.JPG

Edited by Deduno Abides, 08 October 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#45 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

No, Fangraphs has the Twins DRS at 10th, not 19th. I have sorted it by DRS to make it easier:

http://www.fangraphs...yers=0&sort=8,d

I will agree that Buxton's supreme defensive greatness makes the team's defensive stats look better than the team's defense is, but four of our regular eight starters had a positive DRS.

Edited by jimmer, 08 October 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#46 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Unfortunately, SABR's wonky SDI ranking is 25% of the gold glove "vote" and they have him pegged as the 5th best 1B in the AL.

Buxton is the only guaranteed gold glove on the team.

But yes, Buxton, Mauer, Dozier all had good defensive years, even if some metrics don't pick it up.