Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Surgery for Sano?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Darren Wolfon suggested that Sano may be dealing with a more serious injury than was let on, and could require surgery to correct it. Not sure what kind of surgery you could even do for a stress fracture on a shin, but either way that doesn't bode well for his offseason and preparation for 2018. Yet another one for the Minnesota Mystery Injuries medical textbooks.

@DWolfsonKSTP

"Don't be surprised to hear that #MNTwins 3B Miguel Sano will need some sort of surgery. He's in a lot more pain than many of us realized."

Edited by Taildragger8791, 05 October 2017 - 02:34 PM.

• glunn likes this

#2 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Man, what a bummer. Hope he gets healthy this offseason. Would have been nice having that bat in the middle of the lineup against the Yankees.

• glunn, Mike Frasier Law, snepp and 1 other like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,005 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

Take care of it now, before it lingers into the 2018 season. Good luck to him and his recovery. 

• glunn, Thrylos, gunnarthor and 6 others like this

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

This seems obvious, given the recovery time. As much as those without knowledge like to speculate about other causes.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Then why was he allowed to play on it?

Seems likely that doing so would cause more damage.

Kinda curious to hear what those who were defending the Twins medical staff has to say now. IMO, they have a lousy track record compared to other teams.
  • Thrylos, Jerr and CUtomorrownight like this

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Kinda curious to hear what those who were defending the Twins medical staff has to say now. IMO, they have a lousy track record compared to other teams.

It's probably wise to let it all play out before taking a strong position for or against.

I'll just say it is not that hard to imagine a scenario where he might need surgery but still playing wouldn't cause more damage and it would be about pain tolerance.
  • BigSkyTwinsFan, 70charger, KGB and 6 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#7 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Not good news for Robbie Grossman if Sano becomes projected to DH a lot.

#8 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Not good news for Robbie Grossman if Sano becomes projected to DH a lot.

I think the greater concern is third base. Eduardo Escobar had a great second half. Expecting anything anywhere close to that again would be shortsighted and foolish. There’s a reason why he’s a career utility man.
  • USAFChief, beckmt and benchwarmerjim like this

#9 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,977 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

I think the greater concern is third base. Eduardo Escobar had a great second half. Expecting anything anywhere close to that again would be shortsighted and foolish. There’s a reason why he’s a career utility man.

Extend Dozier and roll with him, Polanco and Gordon.
  • B Good likes this
Papers...business papers.

#10 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

It would be good to get a great defensive third baseman who is at least OK at the plate, if Sano doesn't project to be much more than a DH.

#11 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

He was likely allowed to play to see if he would be able to contribute in the wild card game.

With the type of injury that has been reported, playing may or may not cause worsening of the problem- the crystal ball is a bit murky. And hindsight is 20/20, right?

This doesn't change my opinion of the Twins medical staff. Certainly your right to have a differing opinion. He probably felt he was close to being able to contribute and all parties wanted to see if he could make it back in time for the playoff game. No real harm in letting him try- he either can play or he can't. It is extremely unlikely that playing a couple games at the end of this season has any effect on his ability to be ready for next year.

FWIW, I would be really surprised if he needed surgery for something like this- I would postulate that Wolfson is just making an observation and not commenting on any specific information he was given.

• USAFChief, Jerr, h2oface and 2 others like this

#12 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

I really don't understand why, if he needed surgery, why it wasn't done right away. Seems like a massive waste of time.

• Jerr likes this

#13 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

I really don't understand why, if he needed surgery, why it wasn't done right away. Seems like a massive waste of time.

Because obviously there was some hope he could play, that he tried, and failed to play well, doesn't make it the wrong decision.Having surgery at the time would have wasted the rest of the season. 

There's nothing that chides me more than casual fans second-guessing medical evaluations.It happens with every injury that puts a player out for any extended time.Ugh.

• Seth Stohs, Blake, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#14 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

I want to hear concrete medical information, not some media guy saying "Don't be surprised if..." Sounds like unsubstantiated speculation.

• Jerr likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

It's not always obvious. It could have to do with the healing process.

• h2oface and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#16 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

He was likely allowed to play to see if he would be able to contribute in the wild card game.
With the type of injury that has been reported, playing may or may not cause worsening of the problem- the crystal ball is a bit murky. And hindsight is 20/20, right?
This doesn't change my opinion of the Twins medical staff. Certainly your right to have a differing opinion. He probably felt he was close to being able to contribute and all parties wanted to see if he could make it back in time for the playoff game. No real harm in letting him try- he either can play or he can't. It is extremely unlikely that playing a couple games at the end of this season has any effect on his ability to be ready for next year.
 FWIW, I would be really surprised if he needed surgery for something like this- I would postulate that Wolfson is just making an observation and not commenting on any specific information he was given.

Okay, I'm asking you to speculate, but what kind of surgery would be done for this?
  • Jerr and h2oface like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#17 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

If there are other avenues to try first you do them first. Period.

And we don't even know yet if this is what is going to happen.
  • Blake, Taildragger8791, dbminn and 1 other like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#18 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

Okay, I'm asking you to speculate, but what kind of surgery would be done for this?

Obviously I have no inside knowledge, so I'm going off purely what has been in the media. 

About the only thing that I can think of that would make any sense, would be if this is a stress reaction/fracture that is just not healing and it continues to not respond to conservative treatment (rest, medication, bone stimulator, etc.). Uncommonly, this can require an operation to 'fix' the fracture using either a metal rod or a plate/screw construct. 

This seems pretty unlikely to me for various reasons, but it's hard for me to understand what other type of surgery might be in play. Of course, what has been reported could be inaccurate or incomplete, in which case more options are possible. Hopefully tincture of time is the successful prescription...

Or more cowbell.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Blake, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

If there are other avenues to try first you do them first. Period.

And we don't even know yet if this is what is going to happen.

Well that's not always true either.
Sometimes there are multiple options, and the player and doctor immediately choose surgery.
I think its a case by case basis. It's never "always do surgery right away", or "only do surgery as a last resort".
  • Jerr, h2oface and Heezy1323 like this

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

Bit old school here as far as Medicine goes, but there are one 2 reasons that surgery might be needed: a. if there are a whole bunch of bone fragments around, which need to be cleaned or b. stabilize the leg after a pretty nasty tibia fraction.

Both of those 2 cases would not been diagnosed as a "stress reaction" with an old school X-ray, much more with an MRI.

And the 'stress' part (which denotes injury due to repetition vs. due to event as in 'acute') was totally BS because his leg was hurt with that foul ball, and that is a distinct event, as in an accident.

Either the lying has to go, or the Twins' med stuff have to go...

• Jerr likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98