Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

T-Wolves Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#41 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

I believe I'm the biggest Rubio defender, but I got it. If the big offseason splash were bringing back Kevin Love, you keep Ricky Rubio around. When you're bringing in a ball dominant 3 like Jimmy Butler though, you need a three and D point guard. The problem with Teague is that he's a little more 3 and not that much D. 

I thought of you when I made that comment. Maybe I am 2nd. Teague was like a lateral step with different issues but not as bad as this thread is making him out as. The Wolves do need to figure out how to play together though. The pieces don't fit well yet.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#42 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

I thought of you when I made that comment. Maybe I am 2nd. Teague was like a lateral step with different issues but not as bad as this thread is making him out as. The Wolves do need to figure out how to play together though. The pieces don't fit well yet.

Most pieces in the NBA are flawed pieces. It's simply a matter of how you put those flawed pieces together to create a team. I like Rubio more than Teague in a vacuum, and the reality is Teague is a poor man's Lillard/Walker/Kyrie who in turn are poor men's Steph Currys. And maybe the games against Detroit and Indiana are more competitive with Rubio on the roster over Teague. But maybe you drop OKC and Miami because Rubio doesn't share the floor well with Jimmy Buckets. And the moment Butler was traded to Minnesota, the question became how do you build a team around what he can do?

Teague isn't perfect. He can't defend. But he can hang at the three-point line and knock down an open look.

#43 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Most pieces in the NBA are flawed pieces. It's simply a matter of how you put those flawed pieces together to create a team. I like Rubio more than Teague in a vacuum, and the reality is Teague is a poor man's Lillard/Walker/Kyrie who in turn are poor men's Steph Currys. And maybe the games against Detroit and Indiana are more competitive with Rubio on the roster over Teague. But maybe you drop OKC and Miami because Rubio doesn't share the floor well with Jimmy Buckets. And the moment Butler was traded to Minnesota, the question became how do you build a team around what he can do?

Teague isn't perfect. He can't defend. But he can hang at the three-point line and knock down an open look.

Yes, or the problem is thinking too much about individual pieces, instead of focusing on a team identity. Thibs' philosophy is clearly at odds with many of the pieces on this roster.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#44 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

On the other side of that coin, it's perfectly possible that Thibs does not belong in this era of basketball.

#45 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

the problem isn't that the Wolves have flawed pieces but that these pieces don't together at all yet (you do allude to this). Almost every wing and PG creates his own offense. The good news is that the Wolves do have multiple options that can knock down 3's but they need to start moving the ball around to get those shots instead of going one on one all the time.

And yes that was exactly the issue with Rubio. He creates on offense even if he doesn't score and reduces the wings to spot up shooters. Great if you have Kyle Korver.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#46 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

So far they are winning ballgames that they would have lost last year. They don't look great doing it but I will certainly take these wins when things aren't clicking. This team has some crazy talent though. If the offense really starts clicking and they play average offense they could be a contender for 2nd best. I only say contender. Right now they are just trying to get into the top 10.

#47 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Early season being such a sorting-out time, good and bad teams alike, any wins in the bank toward an eventual run toward contention are all to the good.

Modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#48 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Early season being such a sorting-out time, good and bad teams alike, any wins in the bank toward an eventual run toward contention are all to the good.

Most teams don't have 3 new starters and a new 6th man to sort out. And player's that naturally don't fit well to excel. Almost all of the player's want to be ball dominant but there is only one ball. The good news is that they are starting the season with W's while sorting this out. 

Bjelica you are such a tease. I have had such optimism for your skillset (not much defense though) since you came over but there have been so many injuries or slumps.

KAT is a 7 footer that plays like a wing on offense AND defense. 

#49 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'm calling a big win in Oaktown tomorrow night. Wolves are hot and rested. They've been doing a good enough job lately of protecting the perimeter to keep a few 3's off the board for the warriors. Jimmy's going to clamp down on KD, and Wiggy's going to go off for 30+. Should be a fun one.
  • kab21 and bluechipper like this

#50 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm calling a big win in Oaktown tomorrow night. Wolves are hot and rested. They've been doing a good enough job lately of protecting the perimeter to keep a few 3's off the board for the warriors. Jimmy's going to clamp down on KD, and Wiggy's going to go off for 30+. Should be a fun one.

This was looking good in the first half. So far this team has mostly won games that it was supposed to win (bad teams) and done well against tougher teams (average teams) and lost to the best teams (SAS and GSW so far). 

I am not sure what to make of OKC so far. Everybody thought that they would have really bad chemistry and depth problems but this is a really bad start. I guess this is the curse of Carmelo.

#51 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Is anyone else a tiny bit concerned by KAT disappearing in big time games?
Small sample size, and he still has a ton of progression ahead of him, and I'm a huge KAT fan, but I'm a little concerned by that.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 09 November 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#52 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

Is anyone else a tiny bit concerned by KAT disappearing in big time games?
Small sample size, and he still has a ton of progression ahead of him, and I'm a huge KAT fan, but I'm a little concerned by that.

I am. Huge KAT fan here as well. Sometimes I think maybe expectations are just impossible for a man as young as he is and as good he's been in a short time, but I do find myself concerned.

For me, the big anxiety came against the Pels. They won and all, but going into a game where it's all about KAT vs the NO front court and he fouls himself into a totally worthless showing...not good. The Brow wins again.

But, all in all, I think KAT will figure things out in time. His deficiencies (block chasing, poor transition) are things you expect a young guy to be able to overcome with the right teaching.

#53 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

What the **** just happened?

#54 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

Jimmy wants to score...great. Hope he does. But, take some reasonable shots, man. JG Buckets does NOT need to put this team on his back to win games. Awful.

#55 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

This was exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned win games that you are supposed to win (bad teams). Ugh...

#56 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Rubio's revenge didn't happen this time as he went 1-7 but the Jazz didn't play any defense with Gobert out. The Wolves shot 50% from the field and from 3 for the game. Hopefully they can keep that up.

#57 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

I was about to congratulate the Wolves on a big bounce back win but they almost blew a 26 pt lead in the 4th quarter and the bench went 3/20 from the field. It is a win but nothing I can get excited about.

#58 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:23 AM

Today I am Thankful that I DVR'd the game. When the 4th qtr started I skipped, 5 min @ a time, and missed the gory details, while our lead shrinked.  I am very Thankful that we held on.  :D

• kab21 likes this

#59 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

The Tyus revolution is upon us.

#60 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Tough loss tonight. I really liked the effort though, considering the early deficit. Offense looked broken. Poor shot selection, indecision throughout. Probably just because Teague got swapped in after being out a week.

I would start tyus. Every game. But, that’s just, like, my opinion.