Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

FA Starting Pitching List....

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

I see zero reason to add any such FA starting pitchers. Santana, Berrios, Gibson, Mejia, Slegers, Gonsalves, Romero, Jorge, and even Dereck Rodriguez are options.

Are you implying the Twins don't need to add any starters or that they should forget FAs and trade for a starter? I think it would be foolish to go into next season with Santana-Berrios-Mejia-Gibson(?!)-May/Gonsalves(?) as your starters. I think it would be wise to add [at least] one starter via trade/FA.

• USAFChief, Twins33, Oxtung and 4 others like this

#22 prouster

prouster

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

I see zero reason to add any such FA starting pitchers. Santana, Berrios, Gibson, Mejia, Slegers, Gonsalves, Romero, Jorge, and even Dereck Rodriguez are options.

That's certainly a strategy they could take, but a lot of things would have to go right for it to work. Out of curiosity (not snark), how would you spend the approximately $20 million another poster mentioned? Bullpen? Bench bat? Both?

#23 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Kohl Stewart is 10 times the prospect Dereck Rodriguez is, and Jorge and Slegers for that matter. Romero will most likely end up in the pen.

If Santiago would look at a one year make good deal I would consider it.He had never been on the DL until this season. He's better than all but a handful of FA's. My first choice would be opening up the farm and making a trade. Flash Romero, Gonsalves, Gordon, or even one of our young but highly rated SS's. No reason to wait, our window appears to be 4-5 years starting now.

Edited by howieramone2, 04 October 2017 - 05:05 PM.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, wsnydes and 1 other like this

Read my lips. Santana has shown absolutely no signs of decline.

#24 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Problem is most of the prospect list is 2019 material, maybe midseason 2018.I would rather make a trade than pay/overpay most of this thin starting pitcher market.  

Cobb and Lynn will be in the $16 - $20 million a year for 4/5 years.They are #3/#4 type starters.Twins have plenty of prospects that have that potential.Giants are going to pick up Matt Moore's option, so that will not work.We shall see.

• howieramone2 likes this

#25 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

On a serious note: I concur that if the Twins can't (or won't) afford a true ace, I don't see why they would use better allocated resources on a #3 or #4 starter. The post I quoted mentions that the Twins have many possible 3, 4 or 5 starters for 2018. Further, given April schedules with the many days off, they really only need 4 starters for the first month (with maybe a Gee with spot starts), while the AAA law firm of "Slegers, Gonsalves, Romero, Jorge, and Rodriguez" get in a couple of starts and battle for the 5th (and maybe 4th?) starting spot.

On a less serious note: why have posters forgotten about the second highest paid pitcher and third highest paid player on the roster? Maybe our savior is Phil Hughes!!!

Who?

• Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

Who?

Very unlikely, not holding my breath.

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Would rather shoot for a bounce back, not horribly expensive trade for a pitcher with risk, Matt Harvey anyone.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,364 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Would rather shoot for a bounce back, not horribly expensive trade for a pitcher with risk, Matt Harvey anyone.

I'd be shocked if Harvey weren't "horribly expensive". The Mets can handle the risk he represents.

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#29 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

I think the Twins need to trade for a #2 SP. They will have to give up Gonsalves or Romero as part of a trade. I would look at Tyler Chatwood to replace the traded prospect. He was really good outside of Coors Field (3.49 ERA). I don't have a strong opinion - just seems like an interesting option.

Maybe trade for Gerrit Cole? Still has two years left before he's a free agent. 

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Always comes down to terms doesn't it?

My list of potentials would include Artists, Chatwood, Cobb, Garcia and Lynn.

Arrietta was still solid, may be ready for a strong bounce back, may need a change of scenery. Chatswood was that much better away from Coors Field? Have to look closer. Would Garcia hold a grudge? If not, I'd be very interested,

Why does Lynn keep popping in my head as the ideal target?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#31 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:49 PM

Felix Jorge in AA, 2017- 1.329 WHIP, 6.6 K/9
Fernando Romero in AA – 1.352 WHIP, 8.9 K/9
Stephen Gonsalves in AAA (22.1 IP) 1.544 WHIP, 8.7 K/9
Dereck Rodriguez in AA – 1.341 WHIP, 7.4 K/9
Kohl Stewart in AA – 1.519 WHIP, 6.1 K/9

Pretty much no reason to believe that any of these guys are ready to step into an MLB starting rotation. We need a #1 or #2 to solidify our starting rotation.Even then we are hoping for good health for all, continued growth and success for some (Gibson, Berrios, Mejia). 

A lot has to go right to reach the post-season, even with our defense and offense looking strong.

• USAFChief, Twins33 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#32 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

Shohei Ohtani. My heart was broken yesterday. Let me dream again.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#33 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

Not clear on how many starters the Twins will need next year. I could also see signing Brett Anderson on an incentive based contract with a fair base salary.Will need that to get it done.

#34 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Anderson may have problems getting more than a 1 year contract due to injury concerns.

#35 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

Who?

who's on first.

• USAFChief likes this

#36 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

Big difference between being an option and actually being an effective mlb starter.

The first 3 are fine, might be able to scrap together a 5th starter with the remainder and a returning May, but they need another solid option. An injury or two and they'd be cooked if they did nothing.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, 70charger and 2 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,829 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hey Mike;

How about a thread on FA relievers? Especially since (AL):

RK TEAM ERA SO BAA
1 Cleveland 2.89 548 .225
12 Minnesota 4.40 482 .261

I was going there today, haven't checked to see if anyone has yet....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Kohl Stewart is 10 times the prospect Dereck Rodriguez is, and Jorge and Slegers for that matter. Romero will most likely end up in the pen.

If Santiago would look at a one year make good deal I would consider it.He had never been on the DL until this season. He's better than all but a handful of FA's. My first choice would be opening up the farm and making a trade. Flash Romero, Gonsalves, Gordon, or even one of our young but highly rated SS's. No reason to wait, our window appears to be 4-5 years starting now.

Agreed on Rodriguez. He shouldn't even be on our radar for potential SP to consider IMO. 

No way, no how the Twins will pursue Santiago again. Especially so if Molitor stays on as manager. Molitor looked disgusted the last couple of times he pulled Santiago from a game. 

• Mike Sixel and Deduno Abides like this

#39 ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

all fair thoughts, and agreed there are lots of options. But, imo, they need 1 FA SP. I think you pencil in ESan, Berrios, Gibson, Mejia, FA.

a nitpick: Jay isn't a starter....

I personally don’t think we should sign a fa sp because if the team takes a step back it’s a waste of money. I’d rather see us play out the first few months of the season to access whether we are a contender again and see how our mlb and milb sp are performing. Then, be the team that moves FIRST for a sp, if we deem we are in need of one and a contender again.

We can’t just assume that we will be this good or better next year, even if everyone is healthy. There is just as much room for regression with most our guys, and growth and success isn’t just linear.

#40 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:32 AM

How comfortable is anybody with any of the current starting pitchers in a playoff game? 

Make a serious run at a front end starter either in FA of via trade. If the Twins won't do that (very likely) then I agree that I would rather see them use the money to build a pen. I'm not particularly thrilled about pouring money into a bullpen and hoping a patchwork rotation can get to a "not terrible," level but I think it's a better option than committing $18 - 20million for multiple years to another back end starter.