Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

The Granite Play

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

See what the OP wrote, though. Did you see it when a Yankee took out another rookie (Nishioka) at 2nd, killing any chance he had of a career in the US? I'm sure you saw the other collisions at 2nd in the era in question.

Doubles is correct. The quote accurately defines the Twins-Yankees relationship over the years.  

Based on the standards of play in place at the time (before the new rules covering plays at second base) Nishioka was at fault. Or, more accurately, the Twins manager and coaches were at fault for not teaching him proper technique at turning double plays. Nick Swisher was very remorseful about the injury that occurred on his slide. And I hate to say it, but the injury did not prevent Nishi from succeeding in the US. He was way overmatched, again the fault of the Twins for the extremely poor judgement of the scouts involved in evaluating and signing him.

• USAFChief, Jerr, snepp and 3 others like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

On a less cynical note, this should tip people off as to why players slide into first base. Because they can run all out 100% without having to worry about striking the bag in stride, if their stride is off. Hosmer did this in the Game 7 a few years ago and everyone said Hosmer was a dummy. Even Bill Nye got it wrong that night. This is why Dozier and Punto slid into first base. Giving 100% to get there. More players should do it on more plays, not just the Granite type of play.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox.

if only sliding head first didn't lead to wrist and hand injuries......

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

Not wanting to step on the guy=not wanting to twist his own ankle or otherwise get hurt.....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#24 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Based on the standards of play in place at the time (before the new rules covering plays at second base) Nishioka was at fault. 

I was responding to the comment saying "no one wants to hurt anybody." Granite would not have "broken a rule" either, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

#25 Doubles

Doubles

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Plain vanilla rookie mistake. This isn't on Granite, this is on Molitor. There was no point in having Granite on the roster for the game.

I'm not sure it's humanly possible for me to completely disagree more with all three points made in this post.

• Mike Sixel, Dantes929, 70charger and 3 others like this

#26 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

While this play certainly stunk, it mostly gets a "meh" from me for several reasons:

• None of us have any clue what it's actually like to play in an MLB postseason game. When you are in a situation you've never been in before, sometimes you do things you've never done before. I used to perform a lot as a musician, and more than once I made a mistake on stage mid-solo that I'd never made in practice. Your body just does things differently. When I was practicing my mouth would often have too much moisture in it, but when performing it would be too dry, and that caused weird stuff to happen.
  • As Seth said, I'm certain Granite is not "afraid" of the Yankees. "I was afraid of..." is just a thing we say when explaining why we did or didn't do something. To read anything else into it is to take it way out of context.
  • The whole sliding into first thing to not get hurt is an interesting thought. I'm not an athlete by any stretch, but playing slow pitch softball I've tweaked muscles when I stretch for that last step down the line and land on the bag the slightest bit awkwardly, and that's without a foot to think about stepping on. Granite is obviously in good enough shape that he's not going to pull a muscle landing on the bag, but I think trying to avoid stepping on a foot is totally legit. 

Granite himself said it was dumb, and I think it probably was, but it's also just not a big deal in my opinion.

Edited by Sssuperdave, 05 October 2017 - 09:17 AM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

• As Seth said, I'm certain Granite is not "afraid" of the Yankees. "I was afraid of..." is just a thing we say when explaining why we did or didn't do something. To read anything else into it is to take it way out of context.

That's not at all what was said. He was using a metaphor.

Twins of the 2000s+: Underdogs (payroll/contraction/small market), play a gentlemanly game of baseball, "Minnesota Nice."

Yankees: High budget superheroes (or villians if you want) who can make magic happen at will. No qualms about stealing signs, barreling over people, beaning people. Anything for a win.

I don't remember the term "Minnesota Nice" being thrown around when Puckett and Hrbek were the faces of the franchise. Ask a Braves fan about how polite Hrbek was during gametime.

The Red Sox started to turn things around when they decided to stop playing baseball as if it were tea time, pinkies in the air and all. The Twins got more aggressive this year and good things happened immediately!

Edited by Doomtints, 06 October 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• TNTwinsFan likes this

#28 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

That's not at all what was said. He was using a metaphor.

Twins of the 2000s+: Underdogs (payroll/contraction/small market), play a gentlemanly game of baseball, "Minnesota Nice."

Yankees: High budget superheroes (or villians if you want) who can make magic happen at will. No qualms about stealing signs, barreling over people, beaning people. Anything for a win.

I don't remember the term "Minnesota Nice" being thrown around when Puckett and Hrbek were the faces of the franchise. Ask a Braves fan about how polite Hrbek was during gametime.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard the term "Minnesota Nice" used to describe the Twins of the 2000s.The term wasn't thrown around when Puckett and Hrbek were the faces of the franchise, and it's not being thrown around now by anyone but you.

#29 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

I've seen runners miss first base before, probably four or five times, so it does happen occasionally, especially when the runner has his head up and something unusual is happening near the bag.

I am definitely in the camp of, "Hey, I missed the base and the Yankees were heads up enough to catch it."

There is no larger meaning or issue here than that.It's simply what happened.

• Seth Stohs, BigSkyTwinsFan, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

Granite's smart and talented. He knew what he did, and it'll obviously never happen again. I don't know what the lesson is in it.

This is the second incredibly not smart play from Granite, and both with a very important game on the line. The first was in Los Angeles, when he threw it to first base, where there was no one there, (and the play, if any, was to home to get a tagging runner, and where Mauer correctly was as the cut off man) and consequently gave up a couple of runs and was responsible for a Dodger come from behind win. Smart is not a word I would use to describe Granite. I think he said something like that would never happen again.... and then it did..... again. He didn't miss the base... he chose not to step on the base. Incredulous. You have one mission running down the first base line, because anything can happen........ and that is to STEP ON THE BASE!!!!

Edited by h2oface, 09 October 2017 - 01:32 AM.

• Jerr likes this

#31 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

This is the second incredibly not smart play from Granite, and both with a very important game on the line. The first was in Los Angeles, when he threw it to first base, where there was no one there, (and the play, if any, was to home to get a tagging runner, and where Mauer correctly was as the cut off man) and consequently gave up a couple of runs and was responsible for a Dodger come from behind win. Smart is not a word I would use to describe Granite. I think he said something like that would never happen again.... and then it did..... again. He didn't miss the base... he chose not to step on the base. Incredulous. You have one mission running down the first base line, because anything can happen........ and that is to STEP ON THE BASE!!!!

People aren't perfect and in the heat of the moment do and say stupid things from time to time.
  • Deduno Abides likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

Anything can happen but lets not forget that he could see the pitcher had him beat and it was a good toss and it is a fair assumption that he was going to be out.That could play into not wantingwhat was likely to be pointless collision.

• ashburyjohn likes this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#33 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

The batter has one mission after the ball is hit. ONE. And that is to touch first base. Hopefully before the ball gets there. But everyone that has played the game knows, that you are taught from the first practice in little league, to always run it out. EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL SURELY BE OUT! There is no excuse for what Granite did by not touching the base as he ran by it. It was too close of a play not to. It wasn't even a sure out. It was a relatively close play. And how it played out is further evidence of how close a play it was. You can never assume the ball with be caught. It is never a fair assumption that the ball will be caught. NEVER. Not in baseball. You run it out. You touch the base. ALWAYS.

This is not an "aw shucks" moment. 

Edited by h2oface, 09 October 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#34 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 17,993 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

The batter has one mission after the ball is hit. ONE. And that is to touch first base. Hopefully before the ball gets there. But everyone that has played the game knows, that you are taught from the first practice in little league, to always run it out. EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL SURELY BE OUT! There is no excuse for what Granite did by not touching the base as he ran by it. It was too close of a play not to. It wasn't even a sure out. It was a relatively close play. And how it played out is further evidence of how close a play it was. You can never assume the ball with be caught. It is never a fair assumption that the ball will be caught. NEVER. Not in baseball. You run it out. You touch the base. ALWAYS.

No, it's not an 'aw shucks' moment, but neither is it an unforgivable mistake.
  • BigSkyTwinsFan and Dantes929 like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#35 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

Mod note: fair warning...personal attacks are out of bounds here at TD. Please stop.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#36 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

So, what?Tar and feathers? It was a bone headed play and he knows it but its done.I could actually apply the same standard to sliding into a base and not losing touch with it but it happens all the time.I couldapply the same standard to hitting the cutoff or throwing to the right base but not doing it happens all the time.You call them out on it and hopefully they learn from it.its spilt milk.If he does it again that is a different matter.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, luckylager and 1 other like this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.