Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

The Granite Play

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Doubles

Doubles

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

I don't think it was as catastrophic as some, but Granite stepping over first base last night was absolutely confounding to me.Think of all the times a ballplayer has run a ball out.Played ball when I was younger, then some town ball, then finally came to grips with the fact I could no longer catch up to a fastball, and finished up playing slow-pitch.I'm not sure my brain would allow me to over-step first base even if I tried.That's a whole lotta muscle-memory to re-direct. 

Interesting quote from Granite in Phil & LaVelle's story in the Strib:  

“I felt his momentum was taking [Kahnle] through the bag, and I was afraid I was going to step on him. And I just missed the base” with an extra-long stride, Granite said. “It was stupid. I should have stepped on him.”

Think about that for a second."I was afraid I was going to step on him."Is that the most accurate metaphor for Twins / Yankees EVER

Twins are afraid to step on the Yankees feet, while the Yankees would prefer to step on the Twins' collective throats, rip their hearts out and eat them, whilst committing unspeakable acts to every single one of their mothers and their wives if it would mean winning a ball game. 

Edited by Doubles, 04 October 2017 - 12:14 PM.

• Jerr and notoriousgod71 like this

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Well, you never want to hurt a guy. And if Granite steps on his foot, he could just as easily turn his own ankle.

But, yes. It does rank up there in Fred Merkle territory.
  • Jerr and Oldgoat_MN like this

#3 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

"I was afraid"

Those are the 3 words I keep focusing on.  

• USAFChief, Jerr, notoriousgod71 and 4 others like this

#4 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

All I could think about is Jim Pohlad at Twinsfest during the Q&A sitting on the stage with a ****-eating grin saying his favorite player in the minor leagues was Zach Granite "because I like his name."

Edited by jctwins, 04 October 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#5 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Well, you never want to hurt a guy. And if Granite steps on his foot, he could just as easily turn his own ankle.

But, yes. It does rank up there in Fred Merkle territory.

Bit of an overstatement comparing this to Merkle but he should have been able to leap a little and get his foot safely on the base. But this is now two WTF moments for him, the first being that brain spasm that resulted in the throw to first base instead of home in Dodger Stadium.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#6 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bit of an overstatement comparing this to Merkle but he should have been able to leap a little and get his foot safely on the base. But this is now two WTF moments for him, the first being that brain spasm that resulted in the throw to first base instead of home in Dodger Stadium.

Well, that’s a typical month from Rosario. So...
  • Dantes929 likes this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Benching him seemed a bit overly dramatic to me, and hurt the team's defense.

• Winston Smith likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

A whole new generation of Twins players learning to be afraid of the Yankees. Oh, joy.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

On a less cynical note, this should tip people off as to why players slide into first base. Because they can run all out 100% without having to worry about striking the bag in stride, if their stride is off. Hosmer did this in the Game 7 a few years ago and everyone said Hosmer was a dummy. Even Bill Nye got it wrong that night. This is why Dozier and Punto slid into first base. Giving 100% to get there. More players should do it on more plays, not just the Granite type of play.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox.

#10 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

I think there was plenty of first base to touch and he was not even close to touching it.  It seemed like he just ran his normal stride - it wasn't like he hopped over the pitchers foot to miss the bag. But that is from my memory of last night - haven't watched the play again.  

• h2oface likes this

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Plain vanilla rookie mistake. This isn't on Granite, this is on Molitor. There was no point in having Granite on the roster for the game.

#12 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Well, you never want to hurt a guy.

See what the OP wrote, though. Did you see it when a Yankee took out another rookie (Nishioka) at 2nd, killing any chance he had of a career in the US? I'm sure you saw the other collisions at 2nd in the era in question.

Doubles is correct. The quote accurately defines the Twins-Yankees relationship over the years.  

Edited by Doomtints, 04 October 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Plain vanilla rookie mistake. This isn't on Granite, this is on Molitor. There was no point in having Granite on the roster for the game.

And have who instead? A 12th pitcher?
  • SwainZag and bluechipper like this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

I don’t know that was the case, unless something was said. Adrianza pinch hit for Castro. But since he’s the back up at 3b, ss and 2b, he had to remain in the game somewhere.
  • WLFINN likes this

#15 crop duster

crop duster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

On the same general note of being afraid of the yankees, why wasn't Gardner on his backside on the first pitch of his AB after the home run? He was overly dramatic getting out of the way of a high tight pitch that was obviously an accident since Santana wasn't within 18" of his spot on most pitches. That plus hiis little bat flip and stare down should've warranted a deliberate brush back next time.
  • 70charger, notoriousgod71, bluechipper and 2 others like this

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

Agreed... I get keeping Adrianza in there. Granite's smart and talented. He knew what he did, and it'll obviously never happen again. I don't know what the lesson is in it.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

A whole new generation of Twins players learning to be afraid of the Yankees. Oh, joy.

Granite isn't afraid of playing the Yankees... I guarantee that. 

#18 Doubles

Doubles

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

I don't mean to take Granite's quote so literally-I don't believe Granite is afraid, really at all.But that quote just seems to sum up the Twins / Yankees dynamic.  

• Doomtints likes this

#19 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Granite doesn't get amped up and turn on the jets - maybe it's not as close a play and missing the base would probably be moot.

Santana doesn't get amped up and turn on the jets - maybe he has better control and gets out of the first inning without damage.

It's called getting used to being in the playoffs. Hopefully they can figure it out next year.
  • Dantes929 likes this

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

I don't mean to take Granite's quote so literally-I don't believe Granite is afraid, really at all.But that quote just seems to sum up the Twins / Yankees dynamic.

Agree. Yes.