Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bye Bye Stanton - to the Yankees

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

I can't even imagine why the Yankees would trade for Giancarlo Stanton when they already have Aaron Judge.Someone explain it to me.  

Sure Yankee stadium will feel like Williamsport to these two - but why would an opposing team let these guys beat them. 

Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing - right?

it won't happen.they are waiting for Harper and/or Machado.

• gunnarthor likes this

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

They've got Harper coming and Clint Frazier is a young stud who stumbled a bit last year. They could put Stanton at DH/1B or something (last year their primary 1B and DH were Matt Holiday and Chris Carter, uff-da) and that would be a major upgrade though. If they think Stanton will opt out after 3 years, I think they'd do it in a heartbeat. That lineup is older than I thought though so I don't think they want to be paying him 30m+ in eight years.

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,619 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

Looks like it will happen, according to MLBTR. Marlins get middling prospects plus Starlin Castro - any bets on how long until he is flipped for further salary relief?

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#24 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

I wonder about team chemistry. Judge can't love this idea. Good luck to Aaron Boone trying to be a first time manager, with enormous expectations in the biggest media market with the most most impatient and demanding fan base in baseball, trying to manage the enormous egos in his dugout.

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

Well, if healthy, he and Judge could combine for 100 homers at that park. But he also has some serious injury history and might be an anchor on their payroll in the years to come.

#26 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

• ashburyjohn, gunnarthor, dbminn and 2 others like this

#27 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Kinda makes you feel sorry for the Yankees coming problems. Two 50 homerun hitters in the lineup, plus Sanchez etc. To beat them in a playoff series will take elite pitching and defense, or hope for them all to hit a slump at the same time.

#28 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Idk what's more disgusting; watching the Yankees get even better or the way the Miami organization operates...

• gunnarthor, Vanimal46 and Shaitan like this

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

Kinda makes you feel sorry for the Yankees coming problems. Two 50 homerun hitters in the lineup, plus Sanchez etc. To beat them in a playoff series will take elite pitching and defense, or hope for them all to hit a slump at the same time.

Eh, we heard this before and they've constantly underwhelmed with major payrolls. Since 2001, they've only won one World Series despite being loaded with PEDS, future HOFers and the best home field advantage in baseball. **** em. It'll be great to watch Buxton et al win more World Series than the Yankees in the coming years.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

You still got to play the game.Hopefully, this will be another ARod situation for them. 

• SF Twins Fan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#31 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

Jeter continues to help the Yankees.

• birdwatcher likes this

#32 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

it won't happen.they are waiting for Harper and/or Machado.

Oops.

• birdwatcher likes this

#33 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Do the Yankees still go after the big free agents next offseason or does this take them out of the running?

#34 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Do the Yankees still go after the big free agents next offseason or does this take them out of the running?

Well, IMO, Stanton to the Yankees didn't make sense.So who knows.Maybe it takes them out of the Harper sweepstakes, but Machado is likely still a target.

#35 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,285 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

Well, IMO, Stanton to the Yankees didn't make sense. So who knows. Maybe it takes them out of the Harper sweepstakes, but Machado is likely still a target.

My impossible dream is getting Machado. Would hate it if he ended up a Yankee. They can have Harper. Sigh.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#36 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,285 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, that’s kind of it. Marlins will end up be a feeder for the Yankees. I’d say that’s kind of a conflict of interest there.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#37 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

This feels a lot like the Fielder trade the Tigers made when they already had Cabrera. They twisted themselves in knots to get them both on the field and it simply didn't work well. I think having 3 of the exact same hitter in the lineup can be a liability. I would have been patient and went for Harper. Of course they still may go after him too.

#38 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

Castro and middling prospects? For real?

Am I underestimating Castro’s value or did they just get Stanton for a bag of baseballs?

If this is the case, at least we don’t have to talk about trading Dozier for 3 more months. Being the NL MVP got a return that isn’t exactly expected

#39 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

This is one bizare offseason. The Ohtani sweepstakes, and now Derek Jeter sended Stanton to join Judge and the Yankees. My god. Gehrig and Ruth, Mantle and Marris, Stanton and Judge, unbelievable. 

#40 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

This contract doesn't hurt the Yankees and won't hurt them ever. They make soooooooooo much money any number of contracts won't hurt them. They might complain about cutting payroll but don't ever worry about them running out of money.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra