Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bye Bye Stanton - to the Yankees

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 cmoss84

cmoss84

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

Jeter made it sound very likely that Stanton will be gone, saying that the Marlins are about to make some very unpopular decisions. They've had seven straight losing seasons. 

I'm guessing he ends up a Yankee, and that NY gives up anything they have to to end up with a lineup anchored by Sanchez/Judge/Stanton.

What are your thoughts? Does he get moved? Where does he go? 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Man, I really hope it's not the Yankees where he ends up. The Marlins can't keep with the status quo when they haven't had a winning season since 2009 and haven't made the playoffs since 2003. I understand the new regime wanting to blow things up. 

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Kepler or Rosario, Any SP they want from the majors or minors not named Berrios, Twins protect 1 SP then Miami picks another one, Gordon.

I'd do that, so it's probably not enough.....

I hope he isn't in NY, really hope that.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

How about Kepler, Gordon, Romero and a couple of other prospects?

Or Sano, Kepler, and any starting minor leaguer starting pitcher?

Edited by Tomj14, 03 October 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#5 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

There is no way the Twins should even begin to think about trading for Stanton.  The Twins DON'T need more offense.... They need pitching, pitching and more pitching and then they need to lock up players like Buxton, Berrios and Sano.

• Blake, gil4, beckmt and 6 others like this

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Stanton's contract is going to be prohibitive for most teams. He's barely opened the envelope on the first check of his $300M+ extension. I'd wager it's Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Dodgers, like most guys with contract issues...

• Oldgoat_MN and bighat like this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Stanton's contract is going to be prohibitive for most teams. He's barely opened the envelope on the first check of his $300M+ extension. I'd wager it's Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Dodgers, like most guys with contract issues...

That's what Sano is going to cost if he is a healthy 3B. And Trout and Harper will be more. I don't think one team gets two of those. Oh, and Machado.

• bighat likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure... 

Especially if Stanton and Machado are on the trade block. Which both of them should be. Baltimore has a minimal chance to resign him after next season, and the Marlins need to blow everything up and start over. 

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

That's what Sano is going to cost if he is a healthy 3B. And Trout and Harper will be more. I don't think one team gets two of those. Oh, and Machado.

I'm a bit worried about the White Sox. Aside from the affordable Jose Abreau who's likely to be traded, James Shields is the only guy on their roster who's not on a rookie contract and he'll fall off the books next year.

Machado and Harper are basically in the same market now, any chance they are friendly and have seen the "super-team" approach the NBA players have taken?

The Phillies also look like they've might be planning on something big.

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Agree on Phillies and White Sox being players on one of them. LAD, Red Sox, Cubs, TX, NYY, Anaheim if they can come to an agreement to spread out Pujols' money for many years? I must be missing someone....

• bighat likes this

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Twins aren't going to take on Stanton's salary. He'll be a Red Sox and the Yankees will sign Harper and Machado. 

• bighat likes this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Twins aren't going to take on Stanton's salary. He'll be a Red Sox and the Yankees will sign Harper and Machado. 

Harper will give up trying to have fun, long hair, and a beard? I have my doubts.

and agreed on the Twins, but that's what Sano will cost if he's healthy and Sano......and if Buxton is a 5+ WAR player, he'll be close to that also......salaries only go up.

• Oldgoat_MN and h2oface like this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Harper will give up trying to have fun, long hair, and a beard? I have my doubts.

and agreed on the Twins, but that's what Sano will cost if he's healthy and Sano......and if Buxton is a 5+ WAR player, he'll be close to that also......salaries only go up.

Harper said that the Yankees were his favorite team growing up, his LH power swing is made for that park, they can pay him more than anyone else, he'll be the most famous person in the most famous town and he'll be in the postseason every year. Yeah, he'll give up his beard for that. It's such a lock, I wish I could bet real money on it.

As for future Twins, I expect Falvey to continue the small market payroll we had under Ryan. It's why he was hired. We might extend one of our young stars by getting a year of FA in a deal like Ryan used to do but we won't be giving out any more Mauer deals.Our payroll will probably stay static at around 110-120 for the next decade or so unless MLB revenue continues to spike. If it goes down, so will payroll.  

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Harper said that the Yankees were his favorite team growing up, his LH power swing is made for that park, they can pay him more than anyone else, he'll be the most famous person in the most famous town and he'll be in the postseason every year. Yeah, he'll give up his beard for that. It's such a lock, I wish I could bet real money on it.

As for future Twins, I expect Falvey to continue the small market payroll we had under Ryan. It's why he was hired. We might extend one of our young stars by getting a year of FA in a deal like Ryan used to do but we won't be giving out any more Mauer deals.Our payroll will probably stay static at around 110-120 for the next decade or so unless MLB revenue continues to spike. If it goes down, so will payroll.  

that would be a disaster, given MLB inflation.

and, I'm sure you can bet on that in overseas markets. and you are probably right.

#15 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Jeter made it sound very likely that Stanton will be gone, saying that the Marlins are about to make some very unpopular decisions. They've had seven straight losing seasons. 

I'm guessing he ends up a Yankee, and that NY gives up anything they have to to end up with a lineup anchored by Sanchez/Judge/Stanton.

What are your thoughts? Does he get moved? Where does he go? 

Don't see it - too much right handed power and too many strikeouts.I think Red Sox or Cubs are more likely - although the Red Sox may need to reinforce the Green Monster with lead.Stanton is likely to punch holes right through it. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#16 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

Twins will need to take care of their own, before signing other players.Do not see this happening.  

#17 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

There are other big $ teams than those mentioned--SF, LA (both), NYM, HOU.Plus some that have been known to spend large--DET, TX, PHL, CWS even SEA.Everybody's got to havea STAR.Even StL.

#18 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

There is no way the Twins should even begin to think about trading for Stanton.  The Twins DON'T need more offense.... They need pitching, pitching and more pitching and then they need to lock up players like Buxton, Berrios and Sano.

This. This. And, this!
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#19 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

It would be great to have Stanton. Remember, however, he's already making free agent money and the Marlins would trade him to get salary relief. Few teams will give up a haul and also take on the full contract.

#20 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

I can't even imagine why the Yankees would trade for Giancarlo Stanton when they already have Aaron Judge.Someone explain it to me.  

Sure Yankee stadium will feel like Williamsport to these two - but why would an opposing team let these guys beat them. 

Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing - right?