Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Punto interview- "I wish I would have won a ring with the Twins instead of the Cards"

piranhas
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Flattery

Flattery

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Long time listener, first time caller.

I thought I would share my pod interview with Nick Puntober on The Moonlight Graham Show. He was awesome all around but I think my favorite part was when he talked about getting hurt in 2004 when Mauer blew out his knee. They were sent down to florida to rehab. They sat on Mauer's couch and watched twins games every night and listened to rap music together. "Joe Mauer's rap game is solid."

https://www.stitcher...2?autoplay=true

Edited by Flattery, 03 October 2017 - 09:15 AM.

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking, Craig Arko and 6 others like this

#2 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Punto is a rocketpig (GOD) around these parts! Love the interview so far!

• Flattery likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Can't listen to it at work but if Punto actually said that, God bless him!

• Flattery likes this

#4 Flattery

Flattery

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

He remembers very fondly the Terry Ryan era in the conversation and praised "the Twins way." Talk about what is now an old school take. 

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Punto should be happy about the Ryan era. Who else would have foolishly drastically overpaid him $8.5 million for 2 years? 

NO ONE!

A god? Seriously? Is that why he never figured out that you don't get to first base quicker by diving?

Edited by h2oface, 03 October 2017 - 02:01 PM.

• jctwins likes this

#6 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Punto should be happy about the Ryan era. Who else would have foolishly drastically overpaid him $8.5 million for 2 years? 

NO ONE!

A god? Seriously? Is that why he never figured out that you don't get to first base quicker by diving?

You're underrating Punto here. He played excellent defense around the infield, albeit with a below average arm. Was great at working at bats despite being such a light hitter. Punto was worth what the Twins paid him overall, 4 million for a good utility player, even back in the mid 2000's is not some absurd proposition.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Jerr, gunnarthor and 6 others like this

#7 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

I wish he would have won a ring with the Twins instead of the Cardinals too.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Yoke, Jerr and 11 others like this

#8 Mauer Power

Mauer Power

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

One of my favorite Twins.We could use some of his grit tonight.  

• Jerr likes this

#9 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

NO ONE!

I was a Punto hater at the time because of all of the times he would dive head first into first base. Beyond him not figuring out physics on that one (must have been muscle memory programmed for him to do that) I now kind of see why the Twins valued his defense so much at the time. You could plug him in just about anywhere and he provided excellent defense. Without his defense at the hot corner this would not have even been a playoff team in 2009 and had the memorable play in game 163 in 2008. His defense was valuable enough that I don't think can clearly state that for $8.5 million for two years he was over paid. Well compensated for having a poor bat yes, but he was a large contributor on defensive metrics across the board.

#10 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Punto is one of those guys that goes underappreciated by many.He was a player that wasn't overly gifted, but worked hard and was a pretty good role player for some pretty good teams.Winning teams need guys like that and there's usually a place for them on those types of teams.There's a reason that he was in the league as long as he was.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Who knows, maybe we do win one if Punto doesn't try to score from second base on an infield base hit vs the Yankees and get thrown out by 55 feet.
  • jctwins and h2oface like this

#12 Flattery

Flattery

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

Punto is a rocketpig (GOD) around these parts! Love the interview so far!

Glad you liked it! He was a riot, as you can imagine.