Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

PICK 'EM: NL Award Winners

cy young manager of the year nl award winners rookie of the year
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times]There is a little over a month left in the season so, who would you pick for each of the major awards in the National League?

MVP:
Cy Young:
Rookie of the Year:
Manager of the Year:

Pick away and let the debate begin.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Edited by Cody Christie, 20 August 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#2 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

MVP: Andrew McCutchen
Cy Young: Johnny Cueto
Rookie of the Year: Todd Frazier
Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson

#3 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

MVP: [COLOR=#000000]McCutchen
Cy Young: Cueto
ROY: Harper
Comeback: Posey (Can't really think of anyone else)
MOY: Hurdle[/COLOR]

#4 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

[COLOR=#333333]MVP: McCutchen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Cy Young: Dickey[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Rookie of the Year: Miley[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Manager of the Year: Hurdle[/COLOR]

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

MVP: McCutchen
CY: Kimbrel/Aroldis Chapman pick 'em
ROY: Miley (basically he and Frazier way ahead of anyone else)
MOY: Davey Johnson
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#6 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

How in the hell can you argue that two guys who have throw a combined 105 innings are more valuable then starters who are gonna throw 200+ innings?

Frazier WAR-2.1
Harper WAR-2.0

Way ahead?

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

How in the hell can you argue that two guys who have throw a combined 105 innings are more valuable then starters who are gonna throw 200+ innings?

Frazier WAR-2.1
Harper WAR-2.0

Way ahead?

In the absence of a dominant starter, I'll go with one of the two relievers posting historic numbers.

Harper's WAR is drastically influenced by large variances in defensive metrics as is Frazier's. I'll take the value of playing multiple positions and nearly doubling the offensive value (per Fangraphs) of Harper in Frazier's favor.

#8 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

In the absence of a dominant starter, I'll go with one of the two relievers posting historic numbers.

Harper's WAR is drastically influenced by large variances in defensive metrics as is Frazier's. I'll take the value of playing multiple positions and nearly doubling the offensive value (per Fangraphs) of Harper in Frazier's favor.

So you acknowledge advanced stats for Harper and Frazier, but you truly believe two guys who pitch over 100 innings less the starters are somehow more valuable?

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

So you acknowledge advanced stats for Harper and Frazier, but you truly believe two guys who pitch over 100 innings less the starters are somehow more valuable?

Yes, because the same metrics that err and create overvaluation for Harper's defense overvalue mediocre innings pitched. I'm not saying that I'd ever vote for a good closer over a good starter, but when two closers are both having historic seasons and no NL starter has even been dominant, there's a good case to be made.

#10 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

[FONT=Times]MVP: McCutchen[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Cy Young: Cueto[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Rookie of the Year: Frazier[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson
Comeback: Beltran
[/FONT]

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

[FONT=Times]MVP: McCutchen[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Cy Young: Cueto[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Rookie of the Year: Frazier[/FONT]
[FONT=Times]Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson
Comeback: Beltran
[/FONT]

Um, Beltran had a better season in 2011 than he is in 2012.

#12 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

...no. I'll just leave this here http://www.baseball-...beltrca01.shtml

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

...no. I'll just leave this here http://www.baseball-...beltrca01.shtml

Looks to me like he was better last season.

#14 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

MVP: McCutchen
Cy Young: Dickey fo shizzle; compared to Cueto, has kept hitters to a lower average, has a lower WHIP, has more K's, given up fewer hits, has comparable numbers in walks allowed, has thrown 4 CG's to Cueto's 2, has 2 Shutouts, has been more efficient in pitches thrown even as he has more IP than Cueto, has a lower OBP against, has almost a 2 pt advantage in K/9 innings (9.29-7.16), gives up almost a hit fewer than Cueto in 9 innings, and has almost a point advantage in K's v BB's.
ROY: Either Miley or Frazier (not that Harper wouldn't have been my choice if he had kept up his numbers from when he started)
MOY: Davey Johnson or Clint Hurdle
Comeback: David Wright, Buster Posey, Dickey, or Wainwright

#15 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, you're right. Far be it from me to suggest that an All-Star and current league leader in RBIs is having a worse year than last, during which he only played in 44 games. Maybe the Twins would be better off running out star players once every 4 games. I guess Buster Posey had a better year last year too.

Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, you're right. Far be it from me to suggest that an All-Star and current league leader in RBIs is having a worse year than last, during which he only played in 44 games. Maybe the Twins would be better off running out star players once every 4 games. I guess Buster Posey had a better year last year too.

Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED

Carlos Beltran played in 142 games last season and posted an OPS+ of 154, a career high.

#17 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='B Richard'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']
Looks to me like he was better last season.[/QUOTE]

Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED[/QUOTE]

Carlos Beltran played in 142 games last season and posted an OPS+ of 154, a career high.[/QUOTE]

Ah, my apologies- I misread his BR page and interpreted his time with the Giants as his entire year- forgive my stupidity while I go run some laps outside. For some reason I had it in my head he missed significant time last year with injury

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Ah, my apologies- I misread his BR page and interpreted his time with the Giants as his entire year- forgive my stupidity while I go run some laps outside. For some reason I had it in my head he missed significant time last year with injury

No worries. He missed significant time in both 2009 and 2010. Many had written him off after those seasons.

#19 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times]
MVP: Andrew McCutchen
Cy Young: R. A Dickey
Rookie of the Year: Todd Frazier
Manager of the Year: Clint Hurdle

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.