Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 5, DET 1: Behind Castro, Colon Twins Cap Off Regular Season With Victory

jason castro bartolo colon brian dozier gabriel moya chris gimenez
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,077 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

As an aside which is truly not part of this thread...still don't understand the dislike for Castro as our catcher or even Giminez as the backup. Since Mauer had to move, this the best duo we have had. Imperfect but solid. Throw out the baby and the bathwater because neither was clean enough? I think not.
  • bluechipper, LA VIkes Fan, Broker and 3 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Fun to see the season pitch totals.  Not sure what to take away from it, other than Santiago sure threw a lot of pitches for as little as he seemed to be around.

I was just going to skip the bullpen report, since everybody's going to be fresh heading into Tuesday's game. But I figured I'd toss that in instead just for fun.

Looks like Hector's going to end up finishing seventh on the team in innings, which does seem really weird. Feels like he hasn't pitched in forever. He did a nice job in helping the team avoid another dreadful start, though. His first seven starts were so great (2.76 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and opponents hit just .213/.299/.290). Too bad it all went to hell.

• glunn, Han Joelo, Dantes929 and 2 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#23 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 860 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

I'm on the fence about starting Sano in the wildcard game. Obviously, as Tom said, he certainly IS the most dangerous hitter in the lineup ... BUT that's when he's healthy. And right now, are we certain that he's really recovered from his injury and in game shape? Yeah, one mighty swing ---- echoes of Kirk Gibson --- could be the turning point in the game, but as as a few others have said, Sano didn't look entirely comfortable at the plate these past two games. I'd keep him on ice as a pinch hitter for this one game.

#24 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,714 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

I'd give Sano a shot at dh, maybe he'll connect.The one who looks lost at the plate is Vargas.Not sure I'd even carry him on the roster.

he gone!

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,067 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Sano doesn't look ready to me.Might as well let Grossman DH.

• Dantes929 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

How about LHPs in the pen? Rogers is the easy choice for guy you trust the most, but who's next? Buddy? Turley? Does Moya make the roster? Or do you turn to Adalberto and just cross your fingers that he adjusts to pitching out of the bullpen?

• wabene likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:39 AM

Unless Sano will cost runs on the basepaths in the first 7 innings, I'd say he starts. 

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

I'd give Sano a shot at dh, maybe he'll connect. The one who looks lost at the plate is Vargas. Not sure I'd even carry him on the roster.

Even with Sano, there are only 16 active position players. You would rather have Goodrum as your third string pinch runner than Vargas, who could also change the game with one swing?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, bartolo colon, brian dozier, gabriel moya, chris gimenez