Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Who's Your MVP?

santana dozier buxton rosario
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

A lot of good choices on this team. Usually I'm against pitchers getting MVP, but I give it to Santana simply because he's been a true ACE this year.
  • Craig Arko and bighat like this

#82 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

I think for this year only, whoever is chosen by whatever voting system is used should have the title of Slightly-More-Valuable-Than-Several-Other-Players Player.

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, brvama and 4 others like this

#83 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Some tough choices. Boils down to these 3 for me:

Santana. 16-8 with a 3.28 ERA.

Dozier. 34 HR and 90+ RBI.

Rosario: .290, 27 HR and 80 RBI.

I go with Santana. The ace, the stopper, the even-keel attitude. He gets my vote.

• Craig Arko likes this

#84 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

I think for this year only, whoever is chosen by whatever voting system is used should have the title of Slightly-More-Valuable-Than-Several-Other-Players Player.

yeah, there are so many legitimate choices.

• spinowner likes this

#85 ffwfed31

ffwfed31

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Erv Dog

• Craig Arko likes this

#86 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

I think the difficulty is, as usual, the framing of the question. When we say "we wouldn't be here without..." That's true of pretty much everyone. When Jason Bartlett went to the Rays, he put up modest numbers but was team MVP because he knew what it took to win and convinced a young team that they were at least as good as the perennial playoff team he'd just left. Chris Giminez convinced the team to believe in themselves.

As others have mentioned, James Rowsan's work with Mauer, Buxton, rosario, adrianza, and Dozier has been borderline unbelievable. And those players suggest that they didn't even trust him at first.

Overall, if I have to pick one, it has to be Dozier. I suggested we trade him to shake things up. He shook things up himself. Well done Brian.

Edited by Jham, 01 October 2017 - 08:22 AM.

• Carole Keller, stringer bell and dbminn like this

#87 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Ervin Santana for me. Tom Kelly influenced me.

#88 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

'Fantastic fact: Need proof of Buxton's elite defense aside from the highlight-reel plays? He leads all Major League outfielders with 24 Outs Above Average, Statcast™'s newest metric for outfield defense. The Twins, as a team, lead all MLB outfields with 30 Outs Above Average.'

Edited by jimmer, 01 October 2017 - 10:08 AM.

• dbminn likes this

#89 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

I'm limiting my MVP rankings to position players, partially because there are a lot of hitters to mention. One could argue that the Twins would've been below .500 without any of the five listed players. They all contributed to a fun summer of baseball:

1. Brian Dozier - Leader of the position players, he set the tone for confidence and aggressiveness. Highest fWAR on the team (my preferred WAR stat for hitters). 
  2. Byron Buxton - IMO, the best defensive CF ever to play for the Twins. More range than either Hunter or Puckett. Didn't let a terrible first half with the bat affect his fielding. Hit well after the break. MVP of the second half and will probably win this award the next three years.
  3. Joe Mauer - Welcome Back! Mauer was the most clutch hitter on the team as measured by performance with runners on base (RE24), where it wasn't even close, and by WRC+ in high leverage situations (173, tied with Grossman). His high leverage slash = .405/.540/.459, 50 PA. Consistent from May to October. GG defense.
  4. Miguel Sano - The Twins had no chance for the wild card without Miguel's April and May. 
  5. Jorge Polanco - I was surprised by his terrible hitting slump. I was even more surprised by his power burst in the 2nd half (.297/.360/.518). He was incredible in high leverage situations after the break (.538/.586/.769, 32 PA). Played SS better than most expected.
  • Carole Keller, snepp and jimmer like this

#90 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

I have to add a shout-out to my #6 MVP not listed earlier: Eddie Rosario. Turned the corner at the plate. Someone could've made a lot of money betting he would strike out less than 20% this season. With power and speed, he's one of the most exciting hitters on the team. Not clutch and very inconsistent on the bases and in the field. All solvable problems. One of my favorite Twins.

#91 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

'Joe Mauer - Welcome Back! Mauer was the most clutch hitter on the team as measured by performance with runners on base (RE24), where it wasn't even close, and by WRC+ in high leverage situations (173, tied with Grossman). His high leverage slash = .405/.540/.459, 50 PA. Consistent from May to October. GG defense.'

Mauer clutch? No way. How can he be clutch when he never swings at the first pitch, doesn't hit HR, and never pulls the ball? ;-)

• dbminn likes this

#92 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Already cast my vote in a very small margin for Dozier over Buxton. And while it doesn't exist, or count, a special "honorable mention" MVP for Escobar for his overall year, but really stepping and stepping up when Sano went down.
  • dbminn likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: santana, dozier, buxton, rosario