Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Who's Your MVP?

santana dozier buxton rosario
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

I'd go with Santana, followed by Dozier for year long contributions.

If by the half:

1st: Sano (followed closely by Kitzler)

2nd: Rosario (followed by Buxton)

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,869 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

I think my top three are:

Dozier

Buxton

Santana

with Rosario right behind. But if I had to vote, it would be one of those three. Not sure which yet.

• KGB, ken and Dave The Dastardly like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Lots of guys had great halves. Sano, Santana, Polanco, Buxton. 

The most consistent guys all year long must've been Mauer and Rosario. I lean Mauer. 

• Carole Keller and Vanimal46 like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#24 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Seems like a lot of recency bias happening here, with people forgetting how good Sano was early and how terrible Rosario was defensively. 

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

Seems like a lot of recency bias happening here, with people forgetting how good Sano was early and how terrible Rosario was defensively. 

I'll be honest, I don't think Rosario's bad defensively. He's made a few dumb plays out there (as has Kepler) but I don't see the negative value that the defensive stats are giving him. I'm not sure how he's managed a -50 UZR/150 in CF in just 50 innings. I think his value is diminished because Buxton is in center.

• adorduan and ffwfed31 like this

#26 sk13812

sk13812

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Isn't the MVP Ricky Nolasco, sleeper agent on the Angels?

• Brock Beauchamp, Dantes929, snepp and 6 others like this

#27 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

It's Buxton.

The complete list of the others worth mentioning in an MVP conversation, in order (though it's a big drop off from Buxton):

Santana

Dozier
Mauer

Other top contributors for offense & pitching:

Sano

Busenitz

Without Buxton's defense the Twins do not finish over .500. Nor do they finish over .500 without Santana. Sorry that's just how it is.

Edited by Doomtints, 28 September 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• jokin and twinssouth like this

#28 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

I'm torn between Dozier and Mauer. But I lean Dozier for lighting a fire when the FO made those mid-season moves. There were a lot complaints on this site this past spring that the Twins needed veteran leadership. Dozier stepped up to the plate in more ways than one.

Loved the Mauer resurgence.

Buxton's play in the field has been inspiring for fans as well as teammates.

Nice that we actually have so many good candidates. That says we have a "team".

• jokin likes this

#29 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Buxton playing defense at a young Puckett/Torii Hunter level all year was probably the most consistently good player.

• twinssouth likes this

#30 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Joe Buxton-MVP

• Dantes929 and jokin like this

#31 davidc3915

davidc3915

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

When Sano went down with the injury, I honestly thought that the Twins would miss his bat too much to make up for it.  I didnt think Escobar's superior defense would make enough of a difference to balance out the offense lost.  I didn't anticipate Escobar's offensive contributions (be honest, did you?).  Therefore, this Mauer/Buxton fan has to cast his vote for Escobar.  Though I agree with those who have stated choosing just one person feels impossible

#32 rcfarmer

rcfarmer

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

August and September numbers mean more to some. I seem to recall a high priced Yankee who was referred to as "Mr May" in a not so subtle jab.

With that being said I will go

1. Dozier

2. Rosario

3. Mauer

4. Everyone

• KGB likes this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,431 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

Dozier.

• jokin and KGB like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#34 rghrbek

rghrbek

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Buxton playing defense at a young Puckett/Torii Hunter level all year was probably the most consistently good player.

ah...he's playing defense at a higher level than both of those guys, ever played.

The twins as a team, fielding over all would be below average without Buck.  With his defense up the middle, the Twins are now talked about as a top 5 defensive team in AL.  It's incredible the difference his presence makes on the rest of the team.  Now that he has hit consistently for a number of months...well there is my answer.  B. B.

• Dantes929, Doomtints and HrbekRules like this

#35 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

This is my order as well. While his offense struggled in the beginning of the season, he's come on strong. But his defense, wow, has been the most rock solid and consistent throughout the season. A lot of the plays the left side of the infield made would not have been recorded for outs without him at first.

Although, I might give Buxton a tie with Mauer and wouldn't question it at all if he were the MVP. I would question it if anyone else were chosen above either of those two.

Not convinced. It's still Dozier by a whisker over Buxton.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#36 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Dozier.

Yup. (But his reign probably ends in 2018, giving way to Buck).

• USAFChief, bluechipper and KGB like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#37 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

August and September numbers mean more to some. I seem to recall a high priced Yankee who was referred to as "Mr May" in a not so subtle jab.

With that being said I will go

1. Dozier

2. Rosario

3. Mauer

4. Everyone

Impossible to leave Buck out of top three.

• USAFChief, Sconnie and twinssouth like this

#38 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

1. Buxton

2. Dozier

3. Santana

4. Mauer

5. Sano

#39 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Buxton actually is transcending what is considered Gold Glove-worthy at the CF position.

• Dantes929, Sconnie, twinssouth and 1 other like this

#40 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

MR. BYRON BUXTON. And, he's just getting warmed up folks!

Yep. I held off for this year because of his slow start offensively. But, I'm making book that youth will be served starting in 2018. Short of Mike Trout, we may very well be having this same debate next year about Buxton- but as league MVP, not just Twins MVP.

• twinssouth likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: santana, dozier, buxton, rosario