Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Who's Your MVP?

santana dozier buxton rosario
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,964 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:55 PM

I didn't want to start this thread until the Twins clinched the postseason. Well it's happened! There are four games remaining and the Twins can prepare for their playoff game, most likely against the Yankees.

In the last week, I've pondered over who should be named the Twins MVP for 2017. At the All-Star break, I'm sure the consensus pick would have been Miguel Sanó and now I don't think he's even in the top five.

There are easily five or more candidates for Twins MVP for the season. I'll list a bunch of them with a short case for the honor.

Alphabetically here are my candidates:

1) Byron Buxton--He leads the club in bWAR, mostly because of elite defense. After a disappointing first half offensively, since the All-Star game he's been a .300 hitter with a .921 OPS. In addition BB is 28 for 29 stealing bases.

2) Brian Dozier--The leadoff man again has exceeded 30 homers and 90 RBI. For the fourth straight year, he's scored more than 100 runs. He has a career high OBP and is durable, again exceeding 150 games and will likely pass 700 plate appearances.

3) Eduardo Escobar--He's stepped in for Sanó and performed admirably. Career highs in homers and RBIs plus solid defense.

4) Joe Mauer--Vintage Joe Mauer returned for the stretch run, hitting .336 in August and .362 so far in September. Mauer raised his batting average well over .300 and his OPS over .800 for the season and has been outstanding on defense.

5) Eddie Rosario--Another guy who took off after the All-Star break. Rosario has put together a terrific season with 27 homers and an .848 OPS for the season.

7) Miguel Sanó--He earned All-Star recognition and was the focus of the Twins' surprising first half. Despite missing the last 40 games, Sano is second on the club in homers and third in RBI. Sanó performed admirably at third base and certainly stepped up this year.

8) Ervin Santana--Unquestionably the Twins #1 starter. He was elite early in the season and while he has regressed, he has been outstanding for the season. He has 16 wins, 200+ innings and a low 3s ERA.

• Mike Frasier Law, big dog, mickeymental and 2 others like this

#2 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

I vote Mauer.

I think his example and rejuvenation at the plate has helped the whole lineup top from bottom.

Buxton a very close second.

Dozier 3rd

And a 10 way tie for 4th with rosario, Sano, kepler, polanco, Escobar, Santana, and some of those bullpen arms!
  • Carole Keller, Blake, Ryan Atkins and 8 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#3 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

Mauer put up awesome numbers in the late month of 2006, 2008 and 2009 which coincided with 3 of the best pennant races in baseball history with two game 163's and an awesome comeback (2006). its great to see him return to form just in time to help this team through a pretty amazing two months.I thought it was so absurd that last year in the first half we only had one guy have a decent performance (Nunez) I wondered what it would look like if the reverse ever happened where lots of guys had good years and here it has happened just a year later. You could actually keep going on that list.Polanco and Gibson's turnaround coincided with turning flickering hope at the deadline to clinching a playoff spot with 4 games to go.HIldenberger and Belislewere pretty huge as well. This team would have been dead in the water in the first half without Sano, Kintzler and maybe Rogers also but I think the most consistently good player and probably the one that plays with the most swagger and has come through time and again is Rosario. Maybe I am projecting leadership on him but he seems to be an igniter.

Ok, I've talked my way all around it and almost had myself believing it was Rosario. It's Buxton.

• jokin, Oldgoat_MN, SwainZag and 2 others like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

I concur on 4th place, with Ervin being 4A.

I would concur on everything else, except I'd flip Dozier and Mauer. Dozier's actually coming pretty close to duplicating his 2016 season, except he's a more disciplined and complete hitter- improved BB rate, K rate, hitting to all fields, career high OBP.Besides that, it seems pretty clear that he's THE team leader- and by all accounts, THE prime factor in motivating both the vets and the young guys to really pour it on over the last two months, especially his presumptive intervening move when management were sellers at the deadline.

Buxton IS a close second, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will take on both the primary leadership and perennial MVP mantles in the next couple years.

Edited by jokin, 27 September 2017 - 11:59 PM.

• big dog, mickeymental and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

Mauer put up awesome numbers in the late month of 2006, 2008 and 2009 which coincided with 3 of the best pennant races in baseball history with two game 163's and an awesome comeback (2006). its great to see him return to form just in time to help this team through a pretty amazing two months.I thought it was so absurd that last year in the first half we only had one guy have a decent performance (Nunez) I wondered what it would look like if the reverse ever happened where lots of guys had good years and here it has happened just a year later. You could actually keep going on that list.Polanco and Gibson's turnaround coincided with turning flickering hope at the deadline to clinching a playoff spot with 4 games to go.HIldenberger and Belislewere pretty huge as well. This team would have been dead in the water in the first half without Sano, Kintzler and maybe Rogers also but I think the most consistently good player and probably the one that plays with the most swagger and has come through time and again is Rosario. Maybe I am projecting leadership on him but he seems to be an igniter.

Ok, I've talked my way all around it and almost had myself believing it was Rosario. It's Buxton.

Heh. Good write-up, good finish. I concur.

As we all know, Rosario was horrid at the plate out of the gate. At that time when he was regularly hitting in the 8 or 9 slots- and through June 11 his OPS+ was 74- (since then- OPS+ 142!!!), I predicted that he eventually would be the key guy to move up and hit behind Sano and push the middle order to peak potential production. Ironically, Sano's not available now, and Eddie's production rate has actually increased, while hitting between Polanco and Excobar, of all people (that would have been a tough one to predict!). Good that Mollie stuck with him, and tinkering, instead of completely revamping his unorthodox plate approach.

With the array of the budding stars now beginning to meet and beat their own lofty projections, I actually think Rosario is going to somehow continue to be "overlooked"- hopefully that will just be more incentive for him to ultimately earn his just due.

Edited by jokin, 28 September 2017 - 12:17 AM.

• mickeymental likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#6 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

so many right answers! a good night in twinsville ...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

Honestly, it just doesn't feel right to pick one guy. So many of the Twins have improved their game significantly during the season. Yes on Mauer, yes on Polanco, Rosario... Escobar replacing Sano, maintaining the home run pace... Buxton improving all phases, looks like an MVP candidate for next season... Berrios looks like an ace in the making... Hildenberger whiffing so many... Busenitz sharpening his stuff... Even Gibson seems to be coming together with a simplified, quicker delivery. Don't forget Bart Colon, coming out of nowhere to contribute unexpected wins for a team that was supposed to collapse, but didn't. And Dozier, telling the front office to go stuff themselves, the Twins weren't giving up after the Garcia trade. 

Interesting season, and it looks like this team will be even better next year. 

Dang, I forgot to mention Santana. Another guy that made a big difference. Just hard to name one player. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 28 September 2017 - 12:58 AM.

• DelusionalTwinsFan likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#8 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:09 AM

I'm torn.

Brian Dozier is the offensive MVP, no question.  Most games played, AB, HR, RBI, Runs, RC, OWAR.  In most of those categories, it's not even close.  Plus it doesn't hurt to be PO'd by selling at the deadline, and sparking a team-wide offensive explosion.

But Buxton's defense has been transformational from the first day of the season, possibly being the best explanation for our early record defying the run differential.  With his recent offensive surge, his combined WAR is impressive.  His intangibles credential: his return from the DL coincides with the Twins getting off the mat in early August.

I'd give it to Dozier, if for no other reason than Buxton will hopefully begin a long reign as Twins MVP next year.

Edited by ToddlerHarmon, 28 September 2017 - 02:11 AM.

• Blake, Twins33, jokin and 5 others like this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:25 AM

Brian Dozier. He's the guy who spoke out about the trade deadline and responded not only with his mouth but also his bat, smacking 16 home runs in August and September and posting a .966 OPS during that same span.

I usually avoid allowing intangibles to cloud the stat line but this is a pretty clear cut example of a team leader putting his money where his mouth is, IMO.

• USAFChief, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 17 others like this

#10 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Santana has been our most valuable pitcher (team Cy Young?). He carried the team early in the season, his CGs gave our thin BP much needed rest, and he has gotten by far the most outs throughout the season for a weak pitching staff. I also believe he has had a positive influence on Berrios.

I don't like comparing pitchers to every day players. And MVP among every day players on this team is a tough choice, but there are at least four guys who could be #1: Buxton, Rosario, Dozier and Mauer all make a good case. It's hard to pick just one. And Polanco has handled himself well at a tough position and his heating up has coincided with the team finishing strong.

What an incredible season!
  • Dantes929, LA VIkes Fan, big dog and 1 other like this

#11 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

The answer is no one. This was a team effort from top to bottom. Great contributions on offense, defense, and pitching, early in the season, and down the stretch. Big offensive wins, comeback wins, team small-ball wins. Bounce back wins after demoralizing "the season is over" losses. The whole package.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 28 September 2017 - 05:08 AM.

• diehardtwinsfan, Blackjack, woolywoolhouse and 5 others like this

#12 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

If I had to pick one: Sano.Without his bat carrying the whole team in the first couple months, the Twins would have quickly fallen into the cellar and had a hard time climbing out of it.

• Craig Arko, Sconnie, KidBro and 1 other like this

#13 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:52 AM

You're also forgetting Jorge Polanco, who took off after the all-star break and is the No. 3 hitter on one of the top offenses in the game while playing a steady shortstop. And Trevor Hildenberger, who helped stabilize the bullpen and is basically the Twins' Andrew Miller at this point.

I'm going to say Buxton because of the improved hitting and the insane good defense, which has bolstered the pitching staff. I'd put him slightly -- slightly -- ahead of Mauer, who has been a steady force in the lineup and should be a gold glove winner at first. Dozier is also slightly behind because of his second half.

But you can't forget Hildy and Polanco. Both have been phenomenal this year.

• DelusionalTwinsFan likes this

#14 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

I would join those saying no one. However, if I must choose one, it would be Eddie Rosario. Would also be comfortable with any of your entire group.
  • Oldgoat_MN and ffwfed31 like this

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

James Rowson and Rudy Hernandez - This team went from cellar to top 4 in runs scored, and I believe they were instrumental in getting things to click for Buxton, Polanco, and Rosario.

• nicksaviking, Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

#16 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

MR. BYRON BUXTON. And, he's just getting warmed up folks!
  • Dantes929, jokin and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

What a difference from last year.One site claimed James Beresford was the 2016 Twins MVP because he was with the twins such a short time he was least responsible for the lousy season.Dozier's hot 2nd half saved us the embarrassment of having a team MVP (by a wide margin) be a utility guy that was traded half way through the season. (Nunez).  

• ToddlerHarmon likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#18 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,925 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

I vote Mauer.
I think his example and rejuvenation at the plate has helped the whole lineup top from bottom.
Buxton a very close second.
Dozier 3rd
And a 10 way tie for 4th with rosario, Sano, kepler, polanco, Escobar, Santana, and some of those bullpen arms!

This is my order as well. While his offense struggled in the beginning of the season, he's come on strong. But his defense, wow, has been the most rock solid and consistent throughout the season. A lot of the plays the left side of the infield made would not have been recorded for outs without him at first.

Although, I might give Buxton a tie with Mauer and wouldn't question it at all if he were the MVP. I would question it if anyone else were chosen above either of those two.
  • jimmer likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

I think I'd give it Santana. He's been the ace and several times this season he's thrown a CG after the rest of the staff had worn out the pen. He's not Kluber or Sale but he's been a legit stopper and a big reason why we've never had a losing streak of 5 or more this season. He's top 10 in pWAR, ERA, Wins, WHIP, IP, CG, SHO, ERA+ among other stats. He's also been helpful to Mejia and Berrios this season and just a calming presence on the mound.

A close second is Dozier, our best all around player and the guy who spoke out for the team when the FO waived the flag.  

1. Santana

2. Dozier

3. Buxton

4. Mauer

5. Rosario

Edited by gunnarthor, 28 September 2017 - 07:53 AM.

• Don Walcott likes this

#20 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

1. Buxton

2. Rosario

3. Dozier

4. Santana

5. Mauer

6. Sano

7. Polanco

8. Berrios

9. Escobar

10. Gibby

• twinssouth and ken like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: santana, dozier, buxton, rosario