Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor League update...wait...what?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

OK...so the milb season is done, sadly. Don't we all miss the daily updates? It's one of my most favorite parts of logging on to Twins Daily. And I know there will be the AFL, which I can't wait for, and various winter reports, which will have us doing impressions of Pavlov's canine companions, but I thought in the interim, we could again revisit a version of milb updates.

In this case, a best and worst. Or, more appropriately, in a season of almost unparalleled success on the field in regard to wins and losses and playoff appearances, who and what were your biggest surprises in regard to good as well as disappointment.

I know there is this whole ML season thing going on, and a WC spot and playoffs and the such, but don't we all miss the milb results and discussions a bit?

My best (some of them anyway):

Lewis Thorpe. So glad to see him healthy and strong and pitching well again after two lost season's. His numbers at Ft Myers were excellent and he even got a start at AA to finish the season. He will only be 22 next season where he will probably begin the year at AA. I think his future remains bright.

Brent Rooker and Royce Lewis: In a year with so many bright spots, and so many great performances, perhaps it's unfair to pick out a couple of rookies. But despite some controversy surrounding the selection of Lewis as the top pick, he performed outstanding, and said and did all the right things. He looks, initially, like the real deal. And Rooker was absolutely amazing! Sure there were some SO concerns but there were also BB for a quality OB, AVG, power and production. It would be far to easy to say he should have done that being a productive college player. But I'd bet if there was a draft "do over" right now he'd be a top 15 selection.

My worst:

INJURIES: I know they are part of the game, but it's never easy, especially when it happens to top prospects seemingly on the cusp of helping the parent club. Chargois, Jay and Burdi all seemed poised to make a mark at some point this season for the Twins, and help build a strong bullpen for years to come. And all three missed most of the season and put a real dent in that plan.

Tanner English: Call me crazy, but he was a guy I personally picked to click in 2017. An outstanding defensive OF with speed and a good approach at the plate, he is a RH version of Granite, more or less, with maybe a better arm, who I thought would take a big step forward this season.

Those are a couple of my best and worst. Let's hear your best and worst for the minors in 2017.
  • glunn, Sconnie and twinssouth like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,443 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

I'm all for minor league updates throughout the offseason. Obviously I'll be working (with Cody, Jeremy and Tom) on the 10th annual prospect handbook, so it'll be busy... But we could do some things. If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. 

I also plan on doing a ton of minor league Q&As, so be sure to check all of those out. 

• glunn and twinssouth like this

#3 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

What a difference being in a pennant race makes.I have not given one thought to who might be playing in the Arizona fall league. Gordon, Gonzalves who else may go?

#4 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

Best: emergence of so many Short Stop prospects from Polanco to Gordon to Palacios and beyond

Worst: Travis Harrison... I can't even talk about it.
  • twinssouth likes this

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Travis Harrison and Drew Rucinski cut from the Twins system.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com