Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Charting A Twins Playoff Rotation

ervin santana jose berrios kyle gibson bartolo colon
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Read on MLB.com that Twins toying with idea of Gibson following Santana, so Nick, you are correct showing Santana on 10/3, Gibson 10/5

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Hey guys, these are the playoffs, meaning:these are playoff teams.

Colon will get racked in the first three innings, if not sooner, by these teams.

Keep him on the squad, maybe he's a mop-up guy in blow-outs, but for no possible reason can you start him in a game that means something.

• Dantes929 likes this

#23 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

A part of me wants to see the Twins stay the course and pitch Colon in place of Mejia and have Berrios and Santana ready out of the gate against whomever with Gibson pitching game 163. No need to over rest any of the starters,. or pitch any early before the end of the season.

I would figure out a way to tryout Mejia and Gee and Slegers in long relief roles, just in case.

Torn between the needs of the bullpen: Belisle, Rogers, Hildenberger, Busenitz and two of the three above. Not sure who I want as the extra guy in the pen. Probably Pressly although I don't know what went wrong with him this season.

Edited by Rosterman, 24 September 2017 - 09:49 PM.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#24 CampQ

CampQ

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

I'll feel less like we're tempting fate by discussing the DS rotation if we can steal two wins in Cleveland

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

Unthinkable indeed. Per MLB.com, the post season probability for the Twins was 4% on August 4.
  • bluechipper likes this

#26 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:57 AM

We play the Yankees in the WC. We dont have to worry about a rotation.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#27 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:06 AM

I have my thoughts and ideas. I don't know if they're any good or what. I'm just thrilled that I can have thoughts and ideas about post season pitching rotations! I'm thrilled that they will play the Yankees in a one game playoff in New York. It just seems like something special. This squad has so many holes and needs but they just keep getting up and fighting back. As I said before the trade deadline, they should've pushed more chips in and tried to have a stronger team, but this is the team we have. I enjoy this club. 

Eddie Rosario for World Series MVP!!!

• Oldgoat_MN and bluechipper like this

#28 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

After Santana there seems to be convincing arguments for any one of 4 other starters. Not many teams can boast having four #2 level SP on the same roster. :). Meaning, anyone you pick is a crapshoot. My roll of the dice would be Gibson then Berrios. Gibsons mental approach seems better, but will the new mentality stand up to the bright lights? If he can get off to a good start he has a better chance than Berrios to get into the 6th inning. The fact that Colon is even considered an outside option, sets the level of the staff at a fairly low point.
  • h2oface likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#29 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

Have to play the hot hands. Mejia will have a chance to show if he can get through a lineup here in these last games.

Colon is almost certainly not a good idea, but we have few options after Santana, Berrios and Gibson.

At this point I would lean heavily toward Mejia, with Gee coming in to try to salvage a poor start by someone.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#30 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Agree with you 100 percent. If we leave Colon out of the rotation there is no reason to have him on the roster as he is not a bullpen option.
  • h2oface and adorduan like this

#31 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Colon seems like he would be a poor choice, but maybe it is a deal where he comes up with a crafty game plan and keeps a team off balance for 4-5 innings. If he's matched up against a number 4 starter, it's just might work.

Worrying about playoff rotations is such a first world problem.
  • Nick Nelson, nokomismod, Dantes929 and 4 others like this

#32 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

After Santana there seems to be convincing arguments for any one of 4 other starters. 

Disagree. I can see arguing between Berrios and Gibson (Team JO but I can see Team Gibby). I can't see arguing between either of those guys and either Colon or Mejia, both of who are much worse.

And even there I think Mejia is significantly better than Colon. The Colon crowd argument seems to be along the lines of "Colon is a veteran and will know how to handle it." I've never loved the argument. Go with the best stuff - it's as likely a rookie will rise to the occasion as a veteran will rediscover something and handle the pressure.

• Dantes929, ericchri, h2oface and 1 other like this

#33 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

Agree with you 100 percent. If we leave Colon out of the rotation there is no reason to have him on the roster as he is not a bullpen option.

I don't know if I agree with this but to play devil's advocate, Colon pitched four times in relief for the 2015 Mets postseason run and did well. Perhaps his funky slow stuff is actually a change of pace in the power playoff atmosphere?

• bluechipper, terrydactyls1947 and Original Whizzinator like this

#34 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

How can the Twins rotation lineup to get Berrios on the mound for a potential Game 3 in Minnesota? He has been so much better at home than on-the-road this season, to the point that I would be extremely wary of having him start anywhere other than Target Field no matter how deep the Twins play this October (and November?)

• h2oface and Original Whizzinator like this

#35 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Do they have Santana go on a pitch count in his 9/28 start to make sure he is rested?Something like 80 pitches?

I would line them up this way

AL WC 10/3: Santana

ALDS G1 10/5:Berrios
ALDS G2 10/6: Santana on 3 days rest
ALDS G3 10/8: Gibson

ALDS G4 10/9: Berrios

ALDS G5 10/11 Santana

#36 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

There's no reason to leave Colon off the playoff roster. He needs to be on it whether he pitches or not. Leaving him off would be a huge mistake

• bluechipper and DocBauer like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#37 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

C'mon, we'll need Colon to PH in National League parks.

• IndianaTwin likes this

#38 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

Also, Molitor doesn't seem to trust Mejia, so I'd assume he's the odd man out.

#39 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

The postseason requires 4 starters excepting the very unlikely event that a team sweeps every series.

You say this a lot, but 3-man rotations are the norm in the playoffs. Teams want 3 starts from their ace, which only happens with a 3-man rotation for a 7-game series. It's been this way since at least the 60s, if not forever.

• SwainZag likes this

#40 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Colon is a trainwreck, I'd be much happier if he didn't pitch another inning this year. 

• h2oface and adorduan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ervin santana, jose berrios, kyle gibson, bartolo colon