Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

With all these firings, Who's replacing them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

We have been hearing about a lot of makeover going on throughout the Twins minor league system from scouts to MiLB coaches and staff to the analytics department. My concern is that I am only hearing about the firings. When TR was let go we anxiously waited then heard who the replacements were "and there was much rejoicing". What I have not seen this year are the reports or even rumors of who replaces them. Who's coming in should be more exciting than who is going out I would hope...

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

Hirings likely come after season is over. I expect a decent amount coming from Cleveland.
  • brvama likes this
Papers...business papers.

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

The minor league pitching coordinator would likely come out of the Cleveland system. Why it would only be likely is that somebody has to want to do that rather than coach. The minor league coordinator would be likely a promotion for somebody.I would guess that minor league contract would run to the first of some month. They may have been hired but can't announceuntil that date. 

They may like the job Watkins did in Cedar Rapids and move him up as well as hire within for the lower levels like they did with him. Minor leaguehires are usually a press release that I have seen in November or December.

I can't imagine there would be much noise over any other hiring.

#4 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Every organization has 60-100 people in development and scouting. There are probably an equal number of resumes on file with every front office from fairly qualified job candidates. Replacing a handful of people on a 60-person staff isn't as huge an undertakibng as we might think.

Part of the concern stems from the misconception that there's a purge underway within this organization. Unless the announcements start coming out at a vastly accelerated pace, I this this mischaracterization of changes being part of a housecleaning might be more wishful thinking than reality. So far, we've heard about a few pro scouts being let go, a couple IFA people, maybe one or two amateur scouts, and a few development people. That's not a purge, and these are all readily replaceable people.

Edited by birdwatcher, 24 September 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• Carole Keller, Blake, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

Falvey was one of the guys quoted from the Indians organization in an older article that I perused discussing the future of scouting changing. He could very well be one who is going to be putting it into play, using less on the professional end as much of that work can be accomplished via video and readily available data. Amateur scouting is something that will be invested on as far as guys who can read a player more than those who can put numbers in a notebook.

So, to answer the question, not all of them may be replaced on the scouting end if Falvey is taking the first step in overhauling the way scouting is done in the organization. It will be intriguing to see how the structuring happens.

• birdwatcher likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#6 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Well, the Twins aren't the only ones replacing people. The Dodgers replaced 10 people in various roles earlier this month and one was voted the manager of the year of his league. IIRC Toronto also let go one of their managers that won their short season A championship, I would expect more to come, on most clubs.

For Dodgers: 

http://sportsnaut.co...aches-one-week/

Toronto: 

http://theprovince.c...ger-rich-miller

Edited by brvama, 24 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.