Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Plouffe's Recent Struggles

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Lately, in the last 5 games, 3B Trevor Plouffe has gone 1 for his last 20 ABs. I'm starting to get concerned about his injury. I remember him saying something along the lines of "It's an injury that won't go away until the offseason, but I'll just have to tough it out through the rest of the season." The question is, what should the Twins do about Plouffe? Have him keep swinging until he finds a rhythm? Put him on the DL? Or should they consider shutting him down for the season? One last question to ask is, who should play 3B if Plouffe is going to miss extended time?
Source Article: http://www.twincitie...-third-concerns

#2 Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

I wisg they would have given him more time at AAA before activating him. Plouffe had finally found a home at 3rd before he got hurt. Hopefully he just needs more ABs to get his timing back. If he finishes the year poorly, I have to believe he's right back to square one again (man without a home) for next year.

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

think he's built up enough equaty to at least get the starting spot next year.
Definately coulda used more gms in ROC...but its not the Twins way

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think based on his pre-injury performance we shouldn't be overly concerned about 20 at bats. He may have been rushed back because they wanted to get Dozier down and had to shift Carroll back to the MI.

He's certainly built up enough equity to go into next year as the starting 3B.

#5 Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

I think based on his pre-injury performance we shouldn't be overly concerned about 20 at bats. He may have been rushed back because they wanted to get Dozier down and had to shift Carroll back to the MI.

He's certainly built up enough equity to go into next year as the starting 3B.

I don't think that's a certainty at all. I'm rooting for Plouffe. But if you look at his month by month game logs, he had a red hot June and half of July until he got hurt. I don't think a hot six/seven weeks is enough to say it doesn't matter how he finishes the year - but that's just my opinion.

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

How many left handed pitchers has he faced since he came back?

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Lately, in the last 5 games, 3B Trevor Plouffe has gone 1 for his last 20 ABs. I'm starting to get concerned about his injury. I remember him saying something along the lines of "It's an injury that won't go away until the offseason, but I'll just have to tough it out through the rest of the season." The question is, what should the Twins do about Plouffe? Have him keep swinging until he finds a rhythm? Put him on the DL? Or should they consider shutting him down for the season? One last question to ask is, who should play 3B if Plouffe is going to miss extended time?
Source Article: http://www.twincitie...-third-concerns

Joe Mauer.

#8 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'd be mostly concerned about the fact that aside from his elevated home run rate, he's having the same season as last year.

#9 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

His timing seemed to be so perfect during that good stretch of hitting. Maybe he just needs to get his timing back after the injury.

#10 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

His timing seemed to be so perfect during that good stretch of hitting. Maybe he just needs to get his timing back after the injury.

I am sure that has a good amount to do with his struggles. Also if he still feels discomfort in that thumb it will impact his swing quite a bit, hand injuries are a hitters worst nightmare because they tend to stay around for a while and slow down a guys swing. He will be fine, the last few games he has started making solid contact and hitting line drives. Just needs to keep squaring up balls and eventually they will start dropping for hits.