Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Happiest surprise for you this season?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

In all seriousness, it was a great season, but Littell is probably a #3 pitcher at best with not really a single plus pitch in his arsenal. He is a competitor on the mound, and I'm interested to see if he can maximize that three-pitch mix into a successful #3/4 starter role.

Three pitch?From what I read on Baseball America he throws 4 (changeup, slider, curve, two seam and 4 seam fastballs).The only downside to him is his fastball velocity.That's what the scouts don't like.In my opinion he could be a good long RP.The key with him is he pitches and locates versus hurling the ball as hard as one possibly can.That's why he's flown through the minors which is not a negative in my opinion as long as the organization doesn't limit themselves to control pitchers.

Edited by laloesch, 29 September 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• Blake likes this

#22 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

First on my list is Buxton.I was getting quite concerned early in the season and after struggles last season I had lost faith and pretty much written him off.Glad to see where he's at now.

Second on my list is Lewis Thorpe.I had no expectation that he would make it back onto the Twins radar and be effective this soon.Easily the Twins best chance at an ace in the organization.

Three.Aaron Slegers.Another young pitching prospect that no-one expected anything from.Glad to see he pitched so well in AAA and earned a callup this year.He could be a #5 or a reliever (nothing wrong with that).

Four.Kyle Gibson (knock on wood).Probably one of the most frustrating Twins to watch the last couple of seasons.Such is often the case with sinkerballers.Kyle has good stuff if he can keep this up he immediately becomes the #3 starter in my book going into next season behind Santana and Berrios. 

Edited by laloesch, 29 September 2017 - 10:40 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Three pitch?From what I read on Baseball America he throws 4 (changeup, slider, curve, two seam and 4 seam fastballs).The only downside to him is his fastball velocity.That's what the scouts don't like.In my opinion he could be a good long RP.The key with him is he pitches and locates versus hurling the ball as hard as one possibly can.That's why he's flown through the minors which is not a negative in my opinion as long as the organization doesn't limit themselves to control pitchers.

I mention three because I consider his curve a "throw-away" pitch. The rest are viable pitches that could be big league pitches.

I think there's a big difference between a control pitcher and a pitcher who utilizes his location for swing and miss. Littell has legit velocity at the top end, though he tends to focus on generating more movement with a tick less velocity. Guys who don't have that ability to generate legit velocity and can only get by with control are a whole different sort of beast than what Littell is.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#24 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:28 AM

In all seriousness, it was a great season, but Littell is probably a #3 pitcher at best with not really a single plus pitch in his arsenal. He is a competitor on the mound, and I'm interested to see if he can maximize that three-pitch mix into a successful #3/4 starter role.

Many sites call him a 4 pitch pitcher. Some call different pitches plus pitches. 

One place said a 93 on the fastball with spin, action and location. 

I hope that these trades show that the Levine/Falvey group has some eye for talent. 

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Many sites call him a 4 pitch pitcher. Some call different pitches plus pitches. 

One place said a 93 on the fastball with spin, action and location. 

I hope that these trades show that the Levine/Falvey group has some eye for talent. 

Curve is impressive in its movement, but he struggled to consistently locate it in the zone, which is why I mentioned it as a "throw-away" pitch. If you get a swing at it, great, otherwise, it's not a great pitch to uncork with a runner on.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#26 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

I think the resurgence of some of our minor league talent overall is the brightest spot for me.

Biggest Happy: Thorpe making it the entire year healthy and our shortstop prospects. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#CanWeStillHireMientkiewicz?

#27 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

I didn't know much about Akil Baddoo prior to this season, so seeing himperform so well qualifies as a pleasant/happy surprise. That said, I was very, very happy to see Thorpe bounce back from TJ surgery and become a top prospect again. Plenty of other nice stories in the minors this year too, but those two top my list.

• Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this