Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Happiest surprise for you this season?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Since there isn't a lot going on in the minor leagues right this second, I figured I'd ask what your favorite surprise was this season for the Twins minor leaguers? I think there were a bunch of good ones but I'd probably go with Baddoo's break out season where he might end up on the back end of a few top 100 lists next year.

From http://www.fangraphs...pect-notes-724/

"Baddoo has the speed to stay in center field and was just too physical for the GCL, hitting .267/.360/.440 there before promotion. He looks raw at times offensively, but is also flashing more raw power than I projected on the Twins prospects list. If he starts to show a feel for getting to that power in games, he’s a top-100 prospect. That seems far off for Baddoo, but he’s still just 18 years old and has already shown improvement at the plate in just over a year as a pro."

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, big dog and 2 others like this

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'd go Thorpe. The fact he came back after two years is good enough, but he performed too. He's the best pitching prospect in the system.
  • birdwatcher, ThejacKmp, big dog and 2 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,775 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'll go with John Curtiss. Rising up 3 levels in a single season is very impressive. He separated himself from the group of 10 RP's in the minors by staying healthy and effective. The future looks bright for him in the MLB bullpen. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 22 September 2017 - 11:25 AM.

• lecroy24fan, birdwatcher, Blake and 4 others like this

#4 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Since there isn't a lot going on in the minor leagues right this second, I figured I'd ask what your favorite surprise was this season for the Twins minor leaguers? I think there were a bunch of good ones but I'd probably go with Baddoo's break out season where he might end up on the back end of a few top 100 lists next year.

From http://www.fangraphs...pect-notes-724/

"Baddoo has the speed to stay in center field and was just too physical for the GCL, hitting .267/.360/.440 there before promotion. He looks raw at times offensively, but is also flashing more raw power than I projected on the Twins prospects list. If he starts to show a feel for getting to that power in games, he’s a top-100 prospect. That seems far off for Baddoo, but he’s still just 18 years old and has already shown improvement at the plate in just over a year as a pro."

I agree Baddoo was a surprise. I written him off as a looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane type. Like what both him and Miranda showed this year.

Jax seems like he could have been a quick riser if not for the military commitment. Thorpe made himself a top prospect again.

Blankenhorn took a step back and Cabbage is almost done.
  • DelusionalTwinsFan likes this

#5 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

My happiest surprise was that now 19 year old (as of late August) Brusdar Graterol was able to stay healthy after recovering from Tommy John surgery.  The velocity came back ever more than before as Graterol hit 100 mph frequently with his fastball while sitting 96-98 mph comfortably and late into games.  With the velocity coming back, look for his above average control of his fastball and slider to continue to develop in 2018.

• nicksaviking, ThejacKmp, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

lots of good surprises to be honest...Farm system is trending in the right direction... now to get some pitching for the major league club...

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Graterol is absolutely mine on the pitching end. As I talk to guys from other teams, the Twins guy they talk about is he or Emmanuel Morel.  However, the hitter I was blown away by in the growth he made on the year was Aaron Whitefield. Incredibly impressed by the 21 y/o Aussie who looks the part and played the part this year in low-A. Looking forward to see how he handles moves up the ladder.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, ThejacKmp and 4 others like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

My happiest surprise was with the percentage of top prospects who performed at or above expectations. Put another way, think how few of the top 40 prospects disappointed for reasons other than injury. I think it was an exceptional season in that regard.

• gunnarthor, ThejacKmp, kab21 and 2 others like this

#9 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

My happiest surprise was with the percentage of top prospects who performed at or above expectations. Put another way, think how few of the top 40 prospects disappointed for reasons other than injury. I think it was an exceptional season in that regard.

This. It's almost hard to find a serious prospect who had a major step back. Their biggest guys may not have awesomed it but they didn't suck. A solid all around organization wide step up.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, BigSkyTwinsFan and 2 others like this

#10 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

This. It's almost hard to find a serious prospect who had a major step back. Their biggest guys may not have awesomed it but they didn't suck. A solid all around organization wide step up.

Yeah, and they did have a half dozen key injuries: Jay, Chargois, Kiriloff, Burdi, Arraez, Wells come to mind. But who had a truly disappointing season, really? Daniel Palka? Nelson Molina? You have to dig pretty deep in the talent pool. And the 2017 draft class looked promising.

• ThejacKmp and SF Twins Fan like this

#11 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

What surprises me is that the Twins now have (after a trade) a pitcher who was 20-1 in the high minors and no one even talks about him as a prospect. Just therecord alone should merit discussion.

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

What surprises me is that the Twins now have (after a trade) a pitcher who was 20-1 in the high minors and no one even talks about him as a prospect. Just therecord alone should merit discussion.

In all seriousness, it was a great season, but Littell is probably a #3 pitcher at best with not really a single plus pitch in his arsenal. He is a competitor on the mound, and I'm interested to see if he can maximize that three-pitch mix into a successful #3/4 starter role.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#13 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:32 AM

Happiest surprise has to be Hildenberger. Of all the MiLB pitching prospects we were talking about to start the season, who woulda guessed him being the standout new reliever in the bigs.
  • birdwatcher and SF Twins Fan like this

#14 Cornholio

Cornholio

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

What makes me happiest? Royce Lewis, and the fact he played at Cedar Rapids in his first half-season.
  • birdwatcher, TRex, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#15 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Lots of good observations above.

I keep pulling for, and not being disappointed by, Jermaine Palacios. 

After routing A ball pitching (.320/.362/.544 (.907)) he was promoted.

As a 20 year old in A+ ball he hit for a higher average than the 20 year old Morel did in the Gulf Coast League or the 20 year old Whitfield did in A ball.

No real idea why I zeroed in on him, but he's been fun to follow.

• birdwatcher likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#16 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Rooker's raking makes me very happy...:)

Edited by puckstopper1, 25 September 2017 - 06:37 AM.

• birdwatcher and nicksaviking like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#17 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

In all seriousness, it was a great season, but Littell is probably a #3 pitcher at best with not really a single plus pitch in his arsenal. He is a competitor on the mound, and I'm interested to see if he can maximize that three-pitch mix into a successful #3/4 starter role.

That's a real negative - only good enough to be a #3 starter. I'll take it. Put him in the rotation after Santana and Berrios. Being only a #3 starter puts him ahead of Gibson and Mejia.

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

Drafting Royce Lewis instead of playing the pitcher lottery, then seeing Lewis do pretty well.
  • birdwatcher and Bob Sacamento like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,886 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

That's a real negative - only good enough to be a #3 starter. I'll take it. Put him in the rotation after Santana and Berrios. Being only a #3 starter puts him ahead of Gibson and Mejia.

his UPSIDE is number 3. I'd be shocked if he's a starter in the majors ever, from what we read on line. Possible RP though.....

I'd say mine would have to be Thorpe's health and success. I think he's legit. Or Palacios.

But then, I'm more of a skimmer than a deep thinker on the minors....but those two were names I looked for, and who did very well.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#20 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

I'd say his profile if he makes it as a starter is as an inning-eater type in the middle of a rotation - really what Ervin is typically, though obviously he's pitching well beyond that this season. I think there are a lot higher-profile starters that are on par with him in development (Romero, Gonsalves) and others who are coming quickly behind him based on what they showed this year (Thorpe, Graterol) that could force him to either reach that ceiling or be a guy that doesn't have a spot in the org.