Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Should the Twins offer Mauer a Koivu-like extension?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Wild GM made a shrewd move I thought giving Koivu an extension at an affordable price in a cap-driven world.

No cap in baseball. Not really in a hurry to get rid of 2017 Joe Mauer. Our 1B candidates have flopped pretty hard: Park, Lil Papi. 

A couple years half to third the money, left him retire a Twin. 

Thoughts....

• DelusionalTwinsFan likes this

#2 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yes, absolutely. However, who or what is Koivu, and who is this wild GM of which you speak?
  • Thrylos, Blake and bighat like this

#3 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Yes, absolutely. However, who or what is Koivu, and who is this wild GM of which you speak?

Vikings fan no doubt?:)

#4 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

You got to hand Mauer this:

When his contract comes up, he presents the best look at what he can do.

• Danchat and bizaff like this

#5 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

A couple years half to third the money, left him retire a Twin. 

Thoughts....

So $7 - $12 Mil a year??

Would like to see the low-end and use the extra to buy some of Buxton's FA years with an extension or miraculously landing an Ace...any Ace...Ventura(the pet detective)...Frehley...Rickenbacker

• bighat likes this

#6 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

You got to hand Mauer this:

When his contract comes up, he presents the best look at what he can do.

or, you know, we can figure he is just farther removed from concussion as opposed to subtly suggesting he has been purposely slacking off since his concussion.

Edited by jimmer, 21 September 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• Seth Stohs, iTwins, Thrylos and 13 others like this

#7 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

As of right now, Mauer has been worth about 18M this year. Maybe he will take a 3/21 to finish his career...
  • bighat likes this

#8 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

or, you know, we can figure he is just farther removed from concussion as opposed to subtly suggesting he has been purposely slacking off since his concussion.

No, I'm not saying anything like that.

Remember in 2009 when he had his career year, with 27 HRs?Contract year.

That's all.He knows how to show up when it matters.In every respect.Even if it means taking a walk. :}

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

No, I'm not saying anything like that.

Remember in 2009 when he had his career year, with 27 HRs?Contract year.

That's all.He knows how to show up when it matters.In every respect.Even if it means taking a walk. :}

Except this isn't a contract year.
  • ThejacKmp, DaveW, dbminn and 2 others like this

#10 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Except this isn't a contract year.

2009 wasn't either. Twins just signed an extension early.

I love that Mauer has looked much better this year but signing a contract extension a full year out to a player who's going to going to be 36 by the time it starts gives me significant pause. Wait until next summer to better gauge both where Mauer is at as well as external and internal options.

• USAFChief, glunn, Blackjack and 3 others like this

#11 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

I'd offer him 2/25 or 2/28 as an extension. That gets him to 38.

They aren't going to find a better 1B in the mean time IMO.

• Blake, Siehbiscuit, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

He can play as long as he wants, but I would be pissed if he asks for a multi year deal or market price. A million or two a year. He's already made $100,000,000 million and probably not spent any of it on anything but milk and diapers.
  • bighat likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#13 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

You have to think he would take a hometown discount, and wouldn't want to finish his career platooning in the east or west coast. But, who really knows.

The way he's played this year, they should most certainly try and bring him back.
  • bighat likes this

#14 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

He can play as long as he wants, but I would be pissed if he asks for a multi year deal or market price. A million or two a year. He's already made $100,000,000 million and probably not spent any of it on anything but milk and diapers.

Car dealerships and homes in Florida can be added to that list.

#15 crop duster

crop duster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

For an extension that is less pay than the current contract doesn't mlb require the extension to be within a certain percentage of current pay?

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,616 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

I think I'd rather they try to get Carlos Santana as a free agent. He has all the fun OBP perks but gets about 60% more XBH. He's also three years younger and corner bats are currently the best free agent bargains at the moment.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#17 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

For an extension that is less pay than the current contract doesn't mlb require the extension to be within a certain percentage of current pay?

I think there is something to that but talk to him now. Dave mentioned 2/25-28 but I think that is a bit steep, especially if the FO comes up with players to put around him to maybe give him a shot in his last couple years. I was thinking a base of 8 with maybe some performance incentives in it along with the trust on both sides that what is best foe the team comes in front of Joe. Maybe Garver takes 50-100 ABs away from Joe in a year or 2. Maybe Sano has to move to first. Maybe a lot of things but for RIGHT NOW and what we can see in the future Joe needs to be a Twin. I would come to a gentleman's agreement on a contract with a little give or take and plan on giving Joe a 3/26-28. He would still get the $$ but might have to play an extra year as a bench player/ part time coach to get it.

#18 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

This is a tangent, but when I looked up Mauer's career rank in hits among active players (13th), I saw that Nick Markakis has 2030. 

He's only 33, so he has an outside shot at getting to 3000 if he plays past 40. I would not have expected he'd have that many. 

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

Didn't think we'd be talking about this a few months ago. It'd seem more likely that 2018 would be his final season, but things sure do change in a hurry, huh?

I'm not ready to give Mauer an extension yet. I'd rather wait and see if he can continue this torrid stretch into 2018, because it'd be a shame to lock yourself into 2-3 more years of a 1B hitting .260 with no power, albeit with elite defense. I don't imagine Mauer darting to another team after the 2018 season in free agency.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Blake, Major Leauge Ready and 2 others like this

#20 Connor Gould

Connor Gould

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

I really hope we extend him. He's hitting over .310 with an OBP of almost .390 to go along with elite defense. Even if he declines again, he'll still be useful. Plus, I don't really care about the lack of power. We're getting power from everywhere else and Mauer's high average helps keep the lineup balanced.
  • wagwan, Oldgoat_MN and Broker like this