Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is this a playoff team?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Discuss.

#2 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

No. No bonafied ace and weak bullpen.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Still more likely than not, pending the LAA game tonight.....so yes?

• pbrezeasap, KirbyDome89 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well, technically yes but this series has showed how far this team needs to grow in order to become a true contending team.  The difference between these two wild card teams is quite staggering.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, pbrezeasap and 10 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, they're a playoff team but they are probably the fifth best team in a five team field so ...

But let's also remember where we all thought we were in April. That the Twins are likely a one and done in the postseason is a great season. And I think the playoff experience for the young guys will be useful next year.

• pbrezeasap, spanman2, Otwins and 7 others like this

#6 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

The Twins are better than the teams behind them but not as good as the teams ahead of them. Their head to head shows that to some degree. So, I would say they are exactly where they should be.
  • diehardtwinsfan, pbrezeasap, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

#7 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Honestly, I'll take our chances in a 1 game WC game or 163. over a 5 or 7 game series...not so sure.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap and 4 others like this

#8 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

If the Twins make the playoffs, yes, they are a playoff team.

I spoke elsewhere about how 19 or 20 MLB teams are terrible this year. There is no middle ground. The AL has more playoff slots than it does good teams. But this changes nothing -- if the Twins make the playoffs, they are a playoff team.

The danger here is thinking the Twins have turned a corner and will be good next year. It's not likely that 2/3 of the league will be garbage next year too. The Twins still need to replace about half its pitching staff.

• Longdistancetwins, Reider, Platoon and 2 others like this

#9 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, they're a playoff team but they are probably the fifth best team in a five team field so ...

But let's also remember where we all thought we were in April. That the Twins are likely a one and done in the postseason is a great season. And I think the playoff experience for the young guys will be useful next year.

I think the chase in general this September is very good for the young core of this team.  It gives them a taste even if they don't get to the playoffs.

In April, I never imagined this team would be in this position.  I still don't really care what happens in the end, I'm just enjoying the ride.  

• birdwatcher, Otwins, mickeymental and 6 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,557 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Honestly, I'll take our chances in a 1 game WC game or 163. over a 5 or 7 game series...not so sure.

Really?They just hada 3 game series with the team they will face in the Wild Card game and were swept.

I have zero confidence in this team winning a game at Yankee Stadium.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, encouraging season overall, but this series with NY has kind of exposed where they are at overall.
They are where they are because of a weird season where most of the teams in the AL are just bad.
That's fine, they don't have to give those wins back, but they are nowhere near the conversation of a team like NY at this point.

Because of that, they could actually improve quite a bit this off-season, but tread water w/l wise next season.

This is probably a 75 win team most years, which is still a nice improvement over last year.

#12 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:32 PM

Every team above the Twins in the AL has a better record against teams under .500.

Every team below the Twins in the AL has a worse record against teams over .500.

• Platoon likes this

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Really? They just had a 3 game series with the team they will face in the Wild Card game and were swept.

I have zero confidence in this team winning a game at Yankee Stadium.

idk, funny things can happen in one game. Severino was off today. If he was off again and Erv pitched as well as he did in game 1, the Twins would be in position to win.

If I am not mistaken, the road team actually has a pretty good record in this one and done format. Better than one might expect anyway. Although, the usual way for the upset is a hot team, which obviously does not describe the Twins right now.
  • pbrezeasap, Dantes929, goulik and 1 other like this

#14 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm starting to think the only way this team could beat the Yankees in NY is if the Yankees had to wear roller skates.  Even then I'd probably bet the under.  What a putrid series, even given the traditional beatings they take there.  This team has outperformed expectations, not given up, keeps fighting back- but get to NY and its baby seals vs. Norwegian fur merchants once again.

#15 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Very well said.Although, I think they are actually the tenth best team in the ten team field.And as "wsnydes" pointed out, there is a canyon between the current Twins and the final four (whoever they turn out to be).

And yes, as my bookie reminded me (literary license), the Twins' season O/U was 74 games.

If "we" looked at this season as only a (lost) year for the new FO to review, then the season must be considered a success.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Under the qualification rules, as of today they are a playoff team. Can they beat the Yankees in a one game play in? Of course, it's the ultimate SSS, crap shoot.

Beyond that, no way they have the pitching to go any further. I'm ok with that considering what my expectations were going into the season. I expect more for next year though, provided they make some moves.

• Craig Arko, Platoon and Vanimal46 like this

#17 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

With the second Wild Card added a few years ago, the Twins are now a playoff team. It's clear nobody else in the AL is good enough to push the Twins for the spot, so here they are. If they were in the NL, they'd probably get beat by Colorado/Milwaukee. 

This isn't a team geared up and ready to face the best teams in the baseball in the playoffs, but it's great to finally see the core of the team is ready to open the "playoff window". 

If the Wild Card game was against somebody like the Brewers (they looked like a sub .400 team when we played them), I would have confidence that the Twins could beat them. But against the Yankees at the home turf, our chances are pretty terrible. I hope the Red Sox could start losing and face us in the playoffs instead.

• twinsnorth49 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#18 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,796 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Playoff team, probably. Successful playoff team? That would take an awful lot of luck. I don’t feel it.
  • twinsnorth49, Danchat, Longdistancetwins and 3 others like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#19 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

idk, funny things can happen in one game. Severino was off today. If he was off again and Erv pitched as well as he did in game 1, the Twins would be in position to win.

If I am not mistaken, the road team actually has a pretty good record in this one and done format. Better than one might expect anyway. Although, the usual way for the upset is a hot team, which obviously does not describe the Twins right now.

Hot is not sustainable. We want the Twins to do well enough to get there and then get hot.  Of course I would like them to go on a nice streak to make sure they get there. Its like Minnesota weather. If they are hot and everyone is on the bandwagon just wait a week and the picture could be entirely different.  Likewise when they are cold and everyone is down on them. Santana threw a good game which could have gone either way. Tuesday's game was an extra 15 feet of a fly ball for Rosario to have a grand slam.  Underdogs? Yes Hopeless?  Hardly.

Not only have wild cards done well on the road in the one and done, wild cards have done quite well after the wild card game as well. Never give up.

• Han Joelo, Jham and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#20 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

I think they will get the second wild card. I also think they have a reasonable chance of beating the Yankees. Twins have beaten them several time this year already. These aren't the Yankees of the past.

• twinsnorth49 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this