Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 2017 Twins Minor League All Star Team

mitch garver john curtiss stephen gonsalves travis blankenhorn zack granite
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,443 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Edit: Though now that I look, the Surprise roster has 7 Twins on it already, so not likely. Hadn't heard the last 3 announced: Ryan Eades, Andrew Vasquez, Sean Miller.

Overall opinion of Falvine's first AFL roster: They could have done better. Couple interesting pitchers though.

They tout it as a big "prospect" league, but that's not necessarily the case. It's often about other factors as well.

• biggentleben likes this

#22 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Berardino gave a pretty good idea of how here.

But also to quote myself from the AFL thread:

"Haven't seen this announced or confirmed, but Ryan Eades, Sean Miller, and Andrew Vasquez are currently showing on the Saguaros roster page, so I think the Twins representatives are set.

Honest opinion is I am a little disappointed with overall names. There's been some big time guys for the Twins there in recent years, and not really any this year unless you include Tyler Jay.

Last year had Gonsalves, Gordon, and Garver for instance. 2015's squad had 3 guys currently on the Twins roster.

Brent Rooker was my first choice, but can understand if he's played enough already this year. Thought Kohl Stewart would have been a great choice, might have been good for Gordon to go again, Luke Bard would be intriguing - will be fun to follow again though!"

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#23 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

They tout it as a big "prospect" league, but that's not necessarily the case. It's often about other factors as well.

I've been all over the AFL back since back well before TD, I'm well aware of the other reasons :)

But this list doesn't match up much like that to me. I find most fit into one of 3 categories.

Last year for instance, had Gonsalves, Gordon, and Garver fitting the "top prospects" category.

Then Randy Rosario and John Curtiss fitting what I call the "see what they got for next year in MLB" guys.

Finally, Tanner English "needed at-bats" and Melotakis "needed innings." I saw all the reasons there.

For 2017, Jay needs innings (Category 3), it's a good point for Wade to polish off some development (category 2), then I don't read many reasons on the others that I consider all that valid.

I know Paul didn't play the whole season but he's also 25 in a month and in A-ball. Hackimer is another A-ball guy. Eades hasn't lived up to anything to this point, Sean Miller is...an infielder, and Vasquez is still more than a year away.

I think there were several others guys who could have got a lot more out of it. That's really all I'm saying. Whether or not any are healthy or whatever else, I don't know so I don't consider that in this evaluation.

Edited by Steve Lein, 20 September 2017 - 12:39 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,443 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

I know Paul didn't play the whole season but he's also 25 in a month and in A-ball. Hackimer is another A-ball guy. Eades hasn't lived up to anything to this point, Sean Miller is...an infielder, and Vasquez is still more than a year away.

I think there were several others guys who could have got a lot more out of it. That's really all I'm saying. Whether or not any are healthy or whatever else, I don't know so I don't consider that in this evaluation.

Last year, Gordon, Curtiss, English and Rosario were all A-Ballers. That's part of the AFL, more now since they opened it up several years ago to be able to include more. 

I'd put Hackimer and Vasquez in the category of Curtiss and Rosario. Certainly could be considered as options later in the year next year in the bullpen. Paul was hitting like .370 when he got hurt or he would likely have spent half the season in AA. Might as well see what you've got. Putting Eades there might be the best thing for him, and he was throwing a little harder this year, working more out of the bullpen. I wouldn't give up on him at all. 

And then obviously they need to fill rosters. So if they decided not to send Gordon, for whatever reason, it's a coin flip for which infielder to send. Since Miller can play 3 positions in the infield, and spent time in the outfield, he makes a lot of sense.

And, Wade fits the category of prospect. Falvey said that in a meeting with media a couple of weeks ago when I was there. He mentioned some of the categories you mentioned but then said Wade was definitely a guy they wanted to send there to challenge and put into that environment.

And then like you said, we don't know who said No, or who was hurt. Maybe they determined that it was more important for Stewart to rest the knee and rehab rather than get 25 more innings. Or maybe he said No, Thanks. No way to know.

• Steve Lein likes this

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Thanks to the staff for putting this together.And I agree with separating out an all -star team from a top prospects ranking.

Speaking of which, will there be such a re-ranking this fall or next spring?

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 8,984 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

• The Elizabethton Twins won another Appalachian League title, and it appears they will remain a Twins affiliate for another five years (or more).

Bit of nitpicking:The Elizabethton Twins will remain a Twins team for ever (or until the Twins decide to sell them.)They belong to the Minnesota Twins.Whether the Twins might decide to move the team they own in the future (like the New Britain owners decided to move their team to Hartford) is a different story.So the Twins Appalachian League Team (it is not really an "affiliate", it is owned) might stay in Elizabethton for a bit longer. 

Still some hoops to jump in Elizabethton, and the final approvals will be in the winter, but so far it looks good.But there is no certain affiliation agreement, like it is with Rochester and Chattanooga. It is more of a landlord relationship (like the Twins had with the authority that ran the Metrodome) with the City Council and it is lease-based.

Details, but pretty important, I think. The Twins have a ton of power on what they want to do with their Appalachian League Team currently in E-Town, much more than they have with any of their affiliates (in Rochester, Chattanooga, Fort Myers, and Cedar Rapids,) as is the case with their other 2 owned teams in the GCL and DSL...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

Many of the same names are on MiLB.com's 2017 Twins minor league all star list as well: https://www.milb.com...ute/c-261941320

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,365 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Many of the same names are on MiLB.com's 2017 Twins minor league all star list as well: https://www.milb.com...ute/c-261941320

Good read. This snippet from Radcliff answers my question in another thread about Palacios: "[He] continues to show that he'll be able to stay at short, which was our concern."

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

#29 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Good read. This snippet from Radcliff answers my question in another thread about Palacios: "[He] continues to show that he'll be able to stay at short, which was our concern."

Great read. Thanks for the bump. Lots of great insight and candor from Radcliffe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, john curtiss, stephen gonsalves, travis blankenhorn, zack granite