Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Let's talk about Castro....

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

This signing was lauded by a lot this off season, but at this point it looks like a disaster that we are going to be stuck with for another 2 years. My issue wasn't signing him, as much as it was giving him 3 years.

Not much of a hitter.
No arm.
Lots and lots of passed balls.

I'm no expert on pitch framing, but last I checked the Twins staff wasn't exactly leading the league in strike outs as well.

All of that is to say:

At this point you look to unload him in the offseason, right?

Go with Ramos even!
  • jud6312 likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Overrated. Teams run at will on him. Tonight he couldn't snap his throw and had to cock the arm to get velocity down to second, which takes too much time. His last throw out stealing second was last week, when the runner slid into the dirt a foot short and didn't even get to the bag.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#3 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

MLB Network had a great profile on his pitch framing.  Was interesting to see how subtle it is.  That sai, he does leave a lot to be desired.  The passed balls are getting irritating.

• Thrylos, bizaff and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#4 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

I guess I don't know what people expected.  His bat here is better than it's been with Houston since 2013.  His CS% is above his career average and his passed balls per inning are going to be lower than they have since 2012.  This framing has been talked about though I'm not an expert there.  Catchers are a rare commodity.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, PseudoSABR and 8 others like this

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

What else could we have done at the catcher position?
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Just taking a look at the stats, Castro is a top 10 pitch framer (according to Baseball Prospectus), slightly below average offensively (measured by OPS), a little below average catching runners (4% improvement on Suzuki) and average for PB (Gimenez has 4 more PB in less attempts, he's a bigger problem. Suzuki's even worse).

The only other move at C I could see would have been Welington Castillo. He's been great offensively and solid defensively, though a big step down as a pitch framer.

Suzuki has been great offensively, but his defensive deficiencies are still there. I prefer Castro to him. 

• USAFChief, wagwan, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

Don't know. Stuart Turner? JRM? :)

Catching is hard to quantify but good defensive catchers don't seem hard to find. Castro's best hitting comes in low leverage or 16-0 games. Tonight he looked pretty mediocre, in my opinion. He has his good moments too.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#8 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

nooo, gotta keep him around. He is hitting alright. He should split time with Garver next season. The trade I'm hoping for is for a good starting pitcher like Marcus Stroman. right now the system is the strongest its been since Buck and Sano were in the minors. The new group of Baddoo, Javier, Gordon, kiriloff, Miranda are going to start jumping on some prospect lists. I'd say its a good time to move prospects like Gordon/Stewart/Jorge/Kiriloff and try to get a big arm like stroman. The only reason to keep Gordon would be if we plan on trading Dozier instead of extending him. Polanco is gonna have that SS job down for awhile.

Edited by jsteve96, 18 September 2017 - 11:54 PM.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,020 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

Stroman isn't a bad get. Problem is that you only get him for 2 more expensive years. I guess if I could get him for the right price, I'd do it... just not sure what that price is. I doubt the Jays would ship him off for a Stewart/Jorge package.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#10 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

I am really tired of the past balls because they can be so costly.However, what's the point of complaining when there really was not a reasonable alternative that would have likely been more productive.. I wanted to trade for Kershaw and Kluber too but we don't have Brain Duensing anymore. 

Edited by twinsnorth49, 19 September 2017 - 08:03 AM.
Off topic, not about Castro.

• Brock Beauchamp, pbrezeasap, BigSkyTwinsFan and 5 others like this

#11 Gene Larkin Fan Club

Gene Larkin Fan Club

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Maybe you should start a new thread?

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#12 REPETE

REPETE

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Anyone not named Posey, Perez, or Molina equals "interchangeable".Some might hit better, some may call a better game, and some may throw out runners, but they're only going to do one of these three, and we'll be pining for the days we had a catcher that did one of the other two.

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,005 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Re-sign Suzuki? :)

• Halsey Hall likes this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Anyone not named Posey, Perez, or Molina equals "interchangeable".Some might hit better, some may call a better game, and some may throw out runners, but they're only going to do one of these three, and we'll be pining for the days we had a catcher that did one of the other two.

Actually, at least 12 catchers will put up more than 2 fWAR this year....so it's more like 10 or so that are good or better, 5 or so that are meh, and the rest. Unfortunately, Castro is in the rest category (though fWAR does not yet include framing).

There weren't many good options. Hopefully, Garver will hit like he has in the minors, and be ok on defense, and he'll be that guy that gives them a top 10ish catcher. We'll see if he's even given the chance.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#15 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Actually, at least 12 catchers will put up more than 2 fWAR this year....so it's more like 10 or so that are good or better, 5 or so that are meh, and the rest. Unfortunately, Castro is in the rest category (though fWAR does not yet include framing).

There weren't many good options. Hopefully, Garver will hit like he has in the minors, and be ok on defense, and he'll be that guy that gives them a top 10ish catcher. We'll see if he's even given the chance.

11th in bWAR... +0.6 away from 6th, -0.6 away from being 20th

I would agree most are interchangeable... and the Twins are not a team right now that needs major offense from C

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, SwainZag and 2 others like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

11th in bWAR... +0.6 away from 6th, -0.6 away from being 20th

I would agree most are interchangeable... and the Twins are not a team right now that needs major offense from C

thanks, I was hoping someone would look there also!

He's mediocre, excluding framing. For that price, that's what you should probably expect. The issue is, he is pretty much the one thing this FO did (player wise), which is a bit disappointing to me.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Castro's OPS is .703 (87 OPS+)

Polanco's OPS is .710 (87 OPS+).

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#18 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

thanks, I was hoping someone would look there also!

He's mediocre, excluding framing. For that price, that's what you should probably expect. The issue is, he is pretty much the one thing this FO did (player wise), which is a bit disappointing to me.

The Twins are 8th in the league in runs scored. They didn't need an offensive threat at C, they needed to stabilize their defense, and I think Castro has done that. 

I'm not sure how much this number actually means, but for what its worth, Castros "Catcher ERA" is almost a run and a half lower than Gimenez's.  

• Steve Lein, gil4 and Bill Brown69 like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Castro's OPS is .703 (87 OPS+)

Polanco's OPS is .710 (87 OPS+).

And Polanco's been a disappointment too, and his offensive performance was problematic for 4 months.

#20 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

And Polanco's been a disappointment too, and his offensive performance was problematic for 4 months.

.239 BABIP in those 4 months...