Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sherman: Mauer's HOF case similar to Mattingly's

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Joel Sherman writes for the NY Post. HE's generally very good, from what I have read in the past. I think he writes a really good, fair article pointing out the similar Hall of Fame Cases for Joe Mauer and Don Mattingly. 

Both had very good, extended period in which they won batting titles. Each has an MVP. 

Both had a major injury that created or caused a decline that saw their numbers fall to still very good career numbers.

Mattingly topped out at 28.5% of the HOF vote in his first of 15 years on the ballot. 

It's really a good comparison, though I do believe that Mauer's 8-9 years as a catcher and doing the things he did while at the position that hadn't been done in years. 

Take a look at the article link below and share your thoughts. I know it's a topic that comes up from time to time, particularly in the offseason but I'm writing about it because is from a national/NY writer. 

http://nypost.com/20...me-case-before/

• glunn, Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry, Mauer has a better case.  Only AL catcher to have a batting title and he did it not once, not twice, but three times.  Mattingly never lead the league in BA/OBP/SLG% in the same year either.

Edited by jimmer, 18 September 2017 - 07:25 PM.

• Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper and 3 others like this

#3 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Mattingly was one of the best 5 catchers of all time?
  • Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper and 1 other like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#4 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Also Mauer has better sideburns!
  • Mike Frasier Law, Dantes929, spycake and 4 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,553 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Mattingly was a very good player who played the least important defensive position on the field, though he played it well.

Mauer, on the other hand, posted similar numbers while doing it at the most important defensive position on the field.

Similar, maybe, but not identical. And the nod has to go to Mauer for doing what he did as a catcher, not a first baseman.

• Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper and 4 others like this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

That's an excellent comparison, but I think that catchers have a bit of an easier time getting there than first basemen. I think that this comparison is also relevant:

Roy Campanella (10 seasons) 1161 H, 38.2 fWAR, 123 wRC+
Joe Mauer (14 seasons - 10 as a C)1974 H, 48 fWAR, 124wRC+

So Mauer who will get 2000 hits (more than 9 HOF catchers and might actually catch up to Johnny Bench (2048 hits) and Gary Carter (2092) and will be only behind Berra, Fisk and Pudge) and caught as many seasons as Campanella with better results, should have a better case than Mattingly.Just because of the catching bit.

On the other hand you have Joe Torre (who caught only 10 seasons before turned to 1B) with 2342 H, 62.3 fWAR, and 129 wRC+ not in the HOF (as a player)

Hard to tell on this one

Edited by Thrylos, 18 September 2017 - 07:38 PM.

• glunn, Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

I always thought mattingly and hrbek were a good comparison.... But not one of the best hitting catchers ever. No.
  • gunnarthor, Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

Also Mauer has better sideburns!

Disagree.

1072250.jpg

• spycake likes this

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, I think Mauer's probably going to get in - his three batting titles will sway older voters while younger voters will like his JAWS score.

I do think it's fair to argue whether he's deserving but Torre, Simmons and even Posada will probably be sitting out. I think he's better than all of them but they each have a case.

• Doomtints and wsnydes like this

#10 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

No concussion this isn't even a topic. Put Mauer at 1B at 24 years old this isn't a topic. Last yer I really don't think Mauer had much of a case, but now I think he has at least a chance. A gold glove at 1B or another batting title or a WS ring and I think he is almost a lock but 1 more year of .290ish  with few homers and I guess he tops out T 52% of the voters. 

It is a shame because he was the best pure hitter since George Brett, with all due respect to Tony Gwynn.

• glunn and Oldgoat_MN like this

#11 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

The Mauer HOF speech is going to be very moving for sure.

• Dantes929, WLFINN and Pardon My Dinger like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

Mattingly's not getting in the HOF.

Mauer?  TBD.  As of today...doubtful.

• Mike Sixel and ken like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

I certainly agree Mattingly shouldn't. 

• Dantes929, jimmer and wsnydes like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

Mattingly's WAA is 17.4. That's a good player, but not a HOF player. He is in the Kent Hrbek range.

Mauer's WAA is 26.6.  Mauer is in HOF territory, but being on the lower edge there is no guarantee he will get enough votes based on his production. Puckett was boosted by his golden boy personality and likely Mauer gets a similar, albeit smaller, boost.  Puckett's WAA was 25.5.

Of course, Mauer likely finishes his career over 28 WAA, perhaps well over if he plays longer than the end of his current contract.  At the end of his career, unless he declines to being a below average player, the answer to this question should be a slam dunk.

Edited by Doomtints, 19 September 2017 - 08:55 AM.

• Mike Sixel, WLFINN and wsnydes like this

#15 Doubles

Doubles

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

*If* Mauer would've eked out two or three more seasons catching...

and *If* the conkies would've been a non-issue...

Mauer makes the Hall for sure, and goes down as one of, if not the, all-time greatest hitters among catchers.

If there is any justice in baseball, Mauer will become the third player in baseball history to win a Gold Glove at two positions (Darin Erstad, Placido Polanco).  Rare air.

• bluechipper and bizaff like this

#16 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

I doubt that Mauer will get in without a couple of seasons with some hardware given out at the end of the year. If he is not winning popularity contests now, he will not later.

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Mattingly has one batting title.  Mauer has 3. That is quite a difference. Mauer before Oliva.  Oliva before Mattingly.

• gunnarthor likes this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#18 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Mattingly's WAA is 17.4. That's a good player, but not a HOF player. He is in the Kent Hrbek range.

Mauer's WAA is 26.6. Mauer is in HOF territory, but being on the lower edge there is no guarantee he will get enough votes based on his production. Puckett was boosted by his golden boy personality and likely Mauer gets a similar, albeit smaller, boost. Puckett's WAA was 25.5.

Of course, Mauer likely finishes his career over 28 WAA, perhaps well over if he plays longer than the end of his current contract. At the end of his career, unless he declines to being a below average player, the answer to this question should be a slam dunk.

Puckett was also boosted by being the best player on two World Series winners. For the guys on the fence, that has a tendency to sway voters. That's why Mattingly is not in IMO. His career coincided with one of the longest title droughts in Yankee history. Or perhaps voters decided it wasn't a coincidence at all.
  • gunnarthor and KGB like this

#19 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Puckett wasn't the best player on either of those two teams.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Puckett wasn't the best player on either of those two teams.

"Perceived to be" would have been the better phrasing. (He did narrowly lead our position players in bWAR in 1987.)

Technically I suppose he led the combined 1987 and 1991 teams in total Twins bWAR too. :)
  • gunnarthor likes this