Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer 2000 hit countdown

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Two more hits brings Joe to 1984, the year that brought us Jeopardy, TED conferences, crack cocaine, the Discovery space shuttle, Ghostbusters, the AIDS virus, and Born in the USA.
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

#22 walt-o-meal

walt-o-meal

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOozy rat in a sanitary zoO

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

1984 also brought us Joe Mauer's first birthday. In lieu of cake, the event was celebrated with a gallon of 2% chocolate milk, which young Joe noisily slurped from a Twins logo sippy-cup.

The day was also notable as the first annual Mauer 3-on-3 baseball classic, in which Joe went 3 for 4 against grandfather Jake's fastball ("No sliders until he's three. I'm not a monster"). He was lifted for a ghost runner in the 8th inning. "Joe's kind of a liability on the basepaths at this point", explained Teresa Mauer, family matriarch and player/manager of Mauer's Mashers. "Plus, he gets really cranky after 5 o'clock".

Edited by walt-o-meal, 24 September 2017 - 10:53 PM.

• Mike Frasier Law, snepp, Sssuperdave and 2 others like this

#23 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

purple rain.

#24 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

Joe's up to 1985, which brought us "We are the World", Mikhail Gorbachev, New Coke, Amadeus, Calvin and Hobbes, Back to the Future, the Iran-Contra affair, Nintendo, with Super Mario Brothers, and Madonna.
  • Mike Frasier Law and Craig Arko like this

#25 walt-o-meal

walt-o-meal

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

1985 is also the year that brought us Joe Mauer's 2nd birthday. That week the talk of the neighborhood was "Bonko Bert", a local clown hired by the Mauer family to entertain the children.

bert-blyleven-i-love-to-fart-shirt.jpg

"I felt bad for him. He had just moved to town from Cleveland so I thought I'd help him out with some work", explained Mr. Mauer. But the afternoon didn't go as expected."His act is clearly appropriate for an older crowd - Way too many F-bombs. Plus, he was awfully gassy. The boys thought a farting clown was hilarious of course, so I let him run with it. But when he gave grandma a hotfoot, I told him he had to go." 

Nevertheless, the family expressed Minnesota-nice patience and sympathy for the unrefined entertainer. "I hope he's got another job, because I just don't see him succeeding in comedy", Mauer shrugged, adding "Hopefully something outside, in a well-ventilated area."

• Blake, Mike Frasier Law, AlwaysinModeration and 1 other like this

#26 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

He needs to average 3 hits a game to make it to 2000 this year...possible or probable?

Edited by SF Twins Fan, 27 September 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

9 games to go. 19 hits needed. Dicknbertnmarney are saying on tonight's broadcast that he's going to play every game the rest of the way, although if we clinch wild card #2 I would think and hope he will get a game or 2 off. 0 for 1 so far tonight, but this is Detroit's pitching staff we are facing so there's hope for 6 of the next 9 games.

he should absolutely rest if needed, the playoffs are more important than an arbitrary milestone.

• spinowner likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#28 walt-o-meal

walt-o-meal

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

I recommend that the left field umpire also rest before Tuesday.

20130815__8-15-replay-Cuzzi.jpg?w=650&h=

• LimestoneBaggy likes this

#29 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

I was hoping Mauer would get two hits to finish up on 1987, but he only got one, which leaves him at 1986 to end the season. 1986 brought us:

The Space Shuttle Challenger explosion, Mike Tyson, Bill Buckner, the Simpsons, glasnost, the "Hand of God" goal, Pixar, the Super Bowl Shuffle (and the Fridge), and Halley's Comet.

#30 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

The first game of 2018, and Joe Mauer is back at it. After going 1-5, his career total now sits at 1987.

In 1987, we saw Platoon, the Robert Bork Supreme Court nomination, Michael Jackson’s “Bad”, U2’s “Joshua Tree” and Prince’s “Sign o’ the Times”, “Tear down this wall!”, the Harmonic Convergence, Photoshop, Black Monday, Prozac, and the introduction of the Loonie.

Oh, and a world championship for a certain baseball club from Minnesota...

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 30 March 2018 - 07:36 AM.

• 70charger, bluechipper and Nine of twelve like this

#31 Doubles

Doubles

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

Joe approaching 2,000 hits kinda puts the 3,000 hit milestone in some level of perspective.  

All those hits, and Joe's only 2/3 of the way there.Crazy.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

Joe approaching 2,000 hits kinda puts the 3,000 hit milestone in some level of perspective.

All those hits, and Joe's only 2/3 of the way there. Crazy.

No doubt. 3,000 hits may start looking impossible like the pitching milestones we're accustomed to. Especially if teams continue to phase out mid-30 year old players in favor of prospects.

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

It's a shame concussions and injuries took 3 years away from Joe. If that didn't happen, we'd probably be tracking him to 2,500 hits right now.
  • 70charger, bluechipper, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#34 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Walks are not quite as valuable as hits unless there is no one on, but they certainly are valuable and kind of Joe's calling card. Combined hits and walks leaves him 125 short of 3000. 

• bluechipper likes this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#35 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

All those hits, and Joe's only 2/3 of the way there.Crazy.

I would argue Joe's never put up an 'elite' number of hits (outside of MVP season)—that's just not how he approaches hitting (patience and drawing walks).

Despite On-Base Percentage (avoiding outs) getting all the love in a sabermetric evaluation, people seem to forget hits are worth more than walks.

There's a point on that curve (and in situational hitting) of trying to avoid outs with patience where it becomes a detriment to scoring runs (only one rare situation where a walk can score a run). I might argue Mauer has been on the wrong side of that curve for a good chunk of his career. Not a knock, just who he is.

3,000 hits is the big number you bring up, but you have to rack them up to reach it. Kirby Puckett was well on his way before his career was cut short after 12 seasons (2,304 for his career) averaging 192 hits a season (and had over 200 five times, over 180 eight times) 

Mauer's career high for hits is 191 and since 2012 hasn't had more than 160 in a season. In 14 seasons he's not to 2,000 yet and if you extrapolate his career average for hits in a year it would take him 21 seasons to get to 3,000. You probably could cut some time off of that if not for his injuries, but I don't think he ever would have made it to that number even without them. He'd would have had to put up those numbers through 40-years old.

• USAFChief, Sssuperdave, Doubles and 1 other like this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#36 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

There's a point on that curve . . . of trying to avoid outs with patience where it becomes a detriment to scoring runs.

Not to get off topic, but avoiding an out is never detrimental to scoring runs. Joe is definitely one of the greats.

• ashburyjohn and jimmer like this

#37 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

I would argue Joe's never put up an 'elite' number of hits (outside of MVP season)—that's just not how he approaches hitting (patience and drawing walks).

Despite On-Base Percentage (avoiding outs) getting all the love in a sabermetric evaluation, people seem to forget hits are worth more than walks.

There's a point on that curve (and in situational hitting) of trying to avoid outs with patience where it becomes a detriment to scoring runs (only one rare situation where a walk can score a run). I might argue Mauer has been on the wrong side of that curve for a good chunk of his career. Not a knock, just who he is.

3,000 hits is the big number you bring up, but you have to rack them up to reach it. Kirby Puckett was well on his way before his career was cut short after 12 seasons (2,304 for his career) averaging 192 hits a season (and had over 200 five times, over 180 eight times) 

Mauer's career high for hits is 191 and since 2012 hasn't had more than 160 in a season. In 14 seasons he's not to 2,000 yet and if you extrapolate his career average for hits in a year it would take him 21 seasons to get to 3,000. You probably could cut some time off of that if not for his injuries, but I don't think he ever would have made it to that number even without them. He'd would have had to put up those numbers through 40-years old.

Your points are good and shouldn't be discounted, but there's another curveball in there, so to speak.

Joe Mauer, as a catcher, in his prime averaged something like 135 games played a season, which is actually quite high for a catcher, especially since most catchers would never be able DH too.

Kirby Puckett, as an outfielder, in his prime averaged somewhere in the high 150s for games played in a season. Very impressive, and not to take anything away from his iron man abilities, but that's much more common for an outfielder. In fact, it's pretty much impossible to play all the games as a catcher.

If you average out hits per game, it becomes a much more even comparison. 

Let's take their respective age 27 seasons. They're relatively representative. Neither was a career season for either player, but both seasons were very close to (actually a bit above, because I'm focusing on their peaks) their career norms. 

In 1987, where as I recall the Twins accomplished something or other, Puckett led the league in hits with 207, and played 157 games. That averages to 1.32 hits per game.

In 2010, Joe Mauer racked up 167 hits in 137 games (112 as a catcher). That averages to 1.22 hits per game. 

That's like 10 to 15 hits a season difference if we're talking about the same amount of games. It would take more than a decade to even see a season's worth of difference between the two players.

The point about injuries and about playing fewer games as a catcher stands up to scrutiny. The point about it "not being Joe's game" isn't wrong per se, but I think it's probably a lot closer than you're giving him credit for.

#38 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Not to get off topic, but avoiding an out is never detrimental to scoring runs. Joe is definitely one of the greats.

I think there are a lot of situations where a Sac fly is better than a walk.

• USAFChief likes this

#39 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,220 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:03 PM

Joe Mauer, as a catcher, in his prime averaged something like 135 games played a season, which is actually quite high for a catcher, especially since most catchers would never be able DH too.

Good point. I just did a baseball-reference.com search, of hits by players with 75% of their games at catcher, and the list above 2000 base hits is pretty slim:

1     Ivan Rodriguez 2844
2     Carlton Fisk  2356
3     Jason Kendall  2195
4     Yogi Berra    2150
5     Mike Piazza   2127
6     Gary Carter   2092
7     Johnny Bench  2048
8     A.J. Pierzynski 2043

Of course, Joe no longer meets this criterion - between occasional DHing and now 1B, he's below 65%. With a 60% threshold, Ted Simmons sneaks into second place with 2472. At 50%, no one else shows up in addition to these nine, plus Joe.

Top 10 all-time, among players who primarily caught, at the single most fundamental skill in the game. Not a bad body of work.

Anyway, Joe is already in elite company, but had he been able to continue catching for longer, i.e. without the concussion(s), he'd be gunning for the #2 spot soon.

• 70charger, bluechipper and Borealis like this

You can't take it with you. So don't go.

#40 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Good point. I just did a baseball-reference.com search, of hits by players with 75% of their games at catcher, and the list above 2000 base hits is pretty slim:

1 Ivan Rodriguez 2844
2 Carlton Fisk 2356
3 Jason Kendall 2195
4 Yogi Berra 2150
5 Mike Piazza 2127
6 Gary Carter 2092
7 Johnny Bench 2048
8 A.J. Pierzynski 2043

Of course, Joe no longer meets this criterion - between occasional DHing and now 1B, he's below 65%. With a 60% threshold, Ted Simmons sneaks into second place with 2472. At 50%, no one else shows up in addition to these nine, plus Joe.

Top 10 all-time, among players who primarily caught, at the single most fundamental skill in the game. Not a bad body of work.

Anyway, Joe is already in elite company, but had he been able to continue catching for longer, i.e. without the concussion(s), he'd be gunning for the #2 spot soon.

Just so long as he finishes ahead of AJ, that’s all that matters.
  • ashburyjohn, 70charger and big dog like this