Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

When you think that Souhan has reached low...

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

Favre was actually hated, not disagreed with. I have never known an opposing player that MN sports fans have ever hated more. Then he became a Viking and people raced out to buy his jersey and crow at their Packer fan friends with every win. People dropped that hate in a second because sports has a "my guy" aspect that is hard to resist. If a player makes your team better you like him. 

I hated Favre a bit less, and I was certainly happy to accommodate his vendetta against his former team. (No, not the Jets.) I know plenty of #4 jerseys sold, but I certainly never owned one. One thing about Favre is the hate as 100% football hate, not personal.   

#42 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

Ask Tim Tebow how much drama teams tolerate from back-up QBs.

Tim Tebow was pretty low key, the media hyped him up. He didn't have the arm talent otherwise he would be on a roster.

#43 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,862 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

If you choose to offend a significant portion of your employer's customers while you are at work, don't be shocked if you are no longer employed and if similar employers with similar customers decide not to hire you.He does't HAVE to stand for the national anthem - he's free to go start his own league.

And my point was that the powers that be don't have to employ him, nor do the customers have to like him. But since they do employ and cheer for a wide variety of felons already, not employing someone who simply doesn't stand for the Anthem seems sort of strange. Btw, Tim Tebow likely couldn't carry KP helmet.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#44 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,957 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Moderator's note: Folks, I've needed to take action on multiple posts so far in this thread. Three so far. Please don't be the fourth. Keep the discussion respectful toward others.

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#45 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

+1

The timing of "his protest" coincided with the news that SF was considering releasing him (from a bloated contract).  There was considerable turmoil in the SF team given their "fall from grace". 

The first game he "protested"--nobody said a word!  K. then announced to all--"I'm protesting!".  Said protests continued--but K. wasn't redirecting the commentary about him to "his issue" (alleged race-specific police brutality), but instead made the entire issue about him (his protest) specifically.  No longer were the brutalized the victim--Kaepernick was the "victim".

The SF football was euchured by Kaepernick into keeping on its payroll all-season for fear of a wrongful termination lawsuit. 

So if you want an example of a "me first" guy on your team (out shining AP in that category)--well he's all yours.  But, to expect K. to fix MV's offensive line weakness is unfathomable. 

I think we disagree, actually. Turns out Kaepernick actually wasn't seeking out the attention (which I didn't realize) but the attention certainly found him.  

I know some people just want to bash him without listening to what he has to say, so, here is a link that corrects the timeline you gave, and gives some other really good background information on what the heck this is about. 

https://www.sbnation...on-marshall-nfl

#46 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

I think we disagree, actually. Turns out Kaepernick actually wasn't seeking out the attention (which I didn't realize) but the attention certainly found him.  

I know some people just want to bash him without listening to what he has to say, so, here is a link that corrects the timeline you gave, and gives some other really good background information on what the heck this is about. 

https://www.sbnation...on-marshall-nfl

Your link doesn't support your statement.  Yes, many others protested in sympathy.  Part of the article referenced actually supports the assertion that Kaepernick was raising his own profile.  The article states the sharp-eye of the reporter who "noticed" K. in street clothes during the play of the anthem.  Was she "prompted" (like Souhan?) ?  There was no mention of the 49ers "fall from grace" and that ownership was considering "going in another direction".  Please recall that the 49ers did "change" head coaches.

#47 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Anyone that thinks Kaep is not one of the 60 best QBs on the planet probably isn't being honest with themselves in their assessment of him as a player only......

As for his stance, I always thought we were fighting FOR the right to free speech out there in the world. We should be celebrating him, whether we agree with him or not.

In the right system, with the right coaches and players around him he looked like a top 5 QB for a while. But, that hasn't been Kaepernick the past few seasons. In reality he's a tough fit for many teams based on the offenses they run. Who knows what kind of money or deal he's looking for, but he has meet with multiple teams and nothing has come of it. I can't imagine the impasse is caused only by one side. His political activism absolutely is part of the reason he hasn't found a team, but it certainly isn't the only factor even though articles like Souhan's portray it as such.  

Agreed completely on his right to kneel. Like it or not he had the right to use the platform he had. I do think some of that same understanding should be shown to teams that decide not to give him that platform.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#48 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

Do we know what Kapernick's contract terms are? I would think he would accept backup money since it's better than nothing. And backup money is better money than 99% of the jobs he would get outside of football. 

He has been quiet about his contract demands. As he has earned over 30, closer to 40 million, money is not the primary motivator. As a "victim" he can book speaking fees at places. at 40k or more he can earn a lot of money that way. Left leaning organizations will book him. There are plenty of political people earning a healthy living that way. For the most part back ups earn 1-2 m a year. Not the great income that a starter makes. If he is a backup somewhere that has little potential to play, he loses attention. If he is on a bad team, he loses attention. Being a victim has more advantages than playing poorly for a poor team. 

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

He has been quiet about his contract demands. As he has earned over 30, closer to 40 million, money is not the primary motivator. As a "victim" he can book speaking fees at places. at 40k or more he can earn a lot of money that way. Left leaning organizations will book him. There are plenty of political people earning a healthy living that way. For the most part back ups earn 1-2 m a year. Not the great income that a starter makes. If he is a backup somewhere that has little potential to play, he loses attention. If he is on a bad team, he loses attention. Being a victim has more advantages than playing poorly for a poor team. 

What a jaded view of what he's doing. If he had just shut up, and let the world be less than he wants it to be (just what most of politicians and the wealthy want from workers), he'd be a starter or well paid back up some place. This is no different than how Ali was treated, some 50 years ago. 50 years, and we still think that people who peacefully protest for what they think is right are bad people....

• Carole Keller, Craig Arko, Cory Engelhardt and 2 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#50 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

Not sure why this site spends so much time attacking Souhan.Nothing kills a writer more than being ignored.If you do not like him, don't read him, don't react.This is a waste of time.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#51 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

You're right, this isn't all about racism. It's also about the rich ruling over the hired help. If it were about merit, Kaepernick would be playing. If it were about patriotism, what's more patriotic than a public protest? 

I sir, believe my eyeballs. 

This is about value.  His on the field the field performance doesn't justify the distraction (right or wrong) that he bring to an organization.

#52 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

The whole "distraction" angle is so overblown in the NFL. How is peacefully protesting and raising awareness for a cause he believes in deeply such a distraction? And on the same note, a person that has domestic violence charges or criminal charges are not a distraction?

• Craig Arko likes this

#53 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

The whole "distraction" angle is so overblown in the NFL. How is peacefully protesting and raising awareness for a cause he believes in deeply such a distraction? And on the same note, a person that has domestic violence charges or criminal charges are not a distraction?

I agree what he is doing shouldn't be a distraction, hell it should be applauded.  

The reality is it will be a distraction.  Cameras from all sorts of news groups would be following everything about the team.  Every player on the team would be asked questions about one individual.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I agree what he is doing shouldn't be a distraction, hell it should be applauded.  

The reality is it will be a distraction.  Cameras from all sorts of news groups would be following everything about the team.  Every player on the team would be asked questions about one individual.

I agree with this. The media and fans have decided, not here but in the NFL in general, that this is a distraction, and hitting your kid with sticks is not. As witnessed by AP being on a roster (as a #3 RB), and CK not being on one. It's just reality.

#55 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

I personally don't care who plays QB for the Vikings. This isn't Vikings Daily. The Twins are in a pennant race. Come on guys!

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,512 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

I personally don't care who plays QB for the Vikings. This isn't Vikings Daily. The Twins are in a pennant race. Come on guys!

this is in the vikings forum......

#57 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

You're right, this isn't all about racism. It's also about the rich ruling over the hired help. If it were about merit, Kaepernick would be playing. If it were about patriotism, what's more patriotic than a public protest? 

I sir, believe my eyeballs. 

It isn't about racism or the rich ruling over anybody. How many of us would be fired if we if we decided to protest on our companies dime?

I am all for him protesting and standing up for whatever he believes. It might be best to stay away from wearing communist t-shirts while doing so. 

#58 Tomj14

Tomj14

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

I agree with this. The media and fans have decided, not here but in the NFL in general, that this is a distraction, and hitting your kid with sticks is not. As witnessed by AP being on a roster (as a #3 RB), and CK not being on one. It's just reality.

I have to disagree with this, he would be on somebody's roster if they thought he would help them win. The problem with him is he is a back up quarterback at this time and no team wants to have the news about their backup quarterback. 

There a bunch of players doing exactly what he did minus the pig socks and communist T-shirt and have jobs and the teams are backing them up.

#59 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have to disagree with this, he would be on somebody's roster if they thought he would help them win. The problem with him is he is a back up quarterback at this time and no team wants to have the news about their backup quarterback. 

There a bunch of players doing exactly what he did minus the pig socks and communist T-shirt and have jobs and the teams are backing them up.

Wrong.

The Baltimore Ravens GM and coach wanted to sign him. The owner overruled them. 

http://www.espn.com/...owner-resistant

This isn't about winning and losing. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,910 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

I hate that it is the reality in the NFL, but it's true. They pick and choose which distractions are worth it. 

As we all know, the Vikings accepted AP's "distractions" for far too long. Ray Rice was left out in the cold after assaulting his wife (?) but the reality was he was a declining RB... Greg Hardy is a very bad human being that was given about 9 lives in the NFL before he showed he can't get 10+ sacks anymore. I just really don't like the politics and morale of the NFL most of the time. I also don't like that I still choose to watch more football than I care to admit. 

• Intramural Legend likes this