Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins cut ties with Eric Rassmunsen

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

Over the years on the backfields I've got to know Rasmussen as much as he'll let you.  At first he came off a little cold shouldered semi-cantankerous but he warmed up after a couple of years of seeing and talking to him in Instructs, EXST, GCL and ST.  There is no question he is an "old school" guy but he did show willingness to adjust and incorporate "new" data such as Trackman albeit not until this season.  It just wasn't apparently enough for the front office or a right fit for what Levine and more likely Falvey have in mind for the development of their young pitchers.

I will note that I saw him try to get several pitchers to play around with a splitfinger (Gonsalves, Meyer, Slegers) in Spring Training but to no avail.

My guess is Eric rides off into the sunset and enjoys retirement life in Cape Coral where he's already lived for the past 25 years.

Rasmussen came up in the new thread on Pete Maki, so I thought I'd encourage side discussion of the old coordinator by bumping this thread.

Rasmussen pitched during the era when free agency was just starting to be a thing. Baseball-reference.com doesn't show salaries on his page, but by glancing at his pitching performance and the transactions, I infer that he had bad timing for contract leverage following his few good seasons and he never reaped enough financial reward such that he could retire at will. Now he's going to be 66 next Spring Training, and if he was counting on a few more years of employment then this is a pretty rough turn of events for him because latching on with another team won't be easy. He could keep busy by coaching for a high school or college team, who in principle would likely welcome him with open arms but the pay would be extremely minimal - however if he resides in the Ft Myers area then it may be that even HS opportunities aren't plentiful. I dunno, it's just that the human side of the game is a little difficult.

A slim chance equals a fat chance, yet a wise man and a wise guy are opposites.