Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins fire Dougie Baseball

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
347 replies to this topic

#341 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

You are making a big leap thinking that there are written rules on that.

I guess that every organization that I've been part of has had set rules on how contract notification works with a contract employee. That includes multiple sports franchises, though admittedly not any MLB franchises. Lawsuits have made these sorts of things nearly a requirement of employing a contract worker, sadly. I'm not saying for sure they have such procedures laid out, but with the issues of lawsuits, it'd be surprising that they didn't, especially with Falvey/Levine at the helm, as that's one thing that both have been praised for is their attention to detail in an organization in talking with people around the game.

In many organizations the rules are not just rules, they are laws. That particularly applies to government, health care, and legal issues. Now, such laws obviously do not apply to MLB, but I think more and more organizations of all types see the value of such policies and incorporate them into their rules as they see fit. And these rules are almost always in writing so everyone can read and know exactly how the organization will handle issues that may arise. And that's a good thing. To me it would be a surprise if Falvey (and Jim Pohlad) were not developing written policies for everything about how the team operates.

#342 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

Because that sentiment has been addressed ad nauseum, and you simply want to keep banging the "he's too important to go by standard procedure" drum.

You haven't addressed it...in fact all you've done is drone on about Doug's popularity and how it supposedly invalidates the criticism for the way the firing was handled. You keep hiding behind the "this is how the corporate world works," mantra when it's widely accepted that professional sports do not operate under the same guidelines. 

• old nurse and h2oface like this

#343 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:17 AM

In many organizations the rules are not just rules, they are laws. That particularly applies to government, health care, and legal issues. Now, such laws obviously do not apply to MLB, but I think more and more organizations of all types see the value of such policies and incorporate them into their rules as they see fit. And these rules are almost always in writing so everyone can read and know exactly how the organization will handle issues that may arise. And that's a good thing. To me it would be a surprise if Falvey (and Jim Pohlad) were not developing written policies for everything about how the team operates.

Carl Pohlad made a lot of money by taking over companies, gutting staff, gutting the company.I am sure he was careful about how he did it. Extra lawyers cost money. The only dollar bills he did not want were the ones he shared with Irwin Jacobs. I am fairly certain old Carl set up protection from employees in the 80s and adjusted with any new labor laws.

#344 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:44 AM

To add to this, reading all the quotes, it's not clear Mientkiewicz is especially outraged he got fired or is unclear on the reason, his main complaint seems to be how it went down. Maybe the front office could have done it differently, but they really gain nothing by saying much to the media.

Falvey has been considered an expert in pitching. There are his theories, not shared much with the public, on pitcher development. Barriers to that vision are going to be removed. Those that adjust to the new way, keep a job. Watch who goes, watch who stays. Pitching coaches, managers, and scouts have to buy into the system.The club does have a thing about loyalty.Falvey would have to understand that when he took the job, This off season will be the big change, even if it is only employee thinking.

#345 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,125 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

To me it would be a surprise if Falvey (and Jim Pohlad) were not developing written policies for everything about how the team operates.

Typically it would be legal and HR staff producing those documents. CEO would sign-off on the finished product.
  • biggentleben and spinowner like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#346 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Typically it would be legal and HR staff producing those documents. CEO would sign-off on the finished product.

I agree that almost all of the non-baseball matters would be delegated, but I picture Falvey formulating most of the baseball policies himself. He has Levine to handle the traditional GM duties of negotiating contracts, etc, which frees him to take his vision of a successful baseball operation and make it into reality.

Edited to note that with these posts I am getting tangential to the topic of this thread. My apologies to the moderators.

Edited by spinowner, 24 September 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#347 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

You haven't addressed it...in fact all you've done is drone on about Doug's popularity and how it supposedly invalidates the criticism for the way the firing was handled. You keep hiding behind the "this is how the corporate world works," mantra when it's widely accepted that professional sports do not operate under the same guidelines. 

Perhaps professional sports should operate under the same guidelines and the fact is that baseball is hiring a lot more corporate types for this very reason.The industry has figured out the baseball guys were lacking some skills and often had poor policies and practices or lack thereof.

Unless you have been a baseball executive, you don't really know how these things are handled.I would add that GB's response that this is not how things should be handled by a business is in fact a direct and to the point response.All of the subsequent explanation of why it is common practice validates his response. You are welcome to the opinion that you have a superior understanding to all of those corporations outside baseball as to how this should have been handled but this does not diminish the substance of GB's response, IMO.

#348 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

This thread has gone way off topic now into the ridiculous of arguing differing philosophical business practices. While some might argue that it is related to the topic, it no longer is.

If someone has any thing new to report on the specific issue of DM, and not giving your opinions on it yet again, fine. If not, move along.
  • glunn, snepp and biggentleben like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.