Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 3, TOR 2: Buxton Blasts Walk-Off HR

byron buxton trevor hildenberger jose berrios matt belisle jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,796 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Now Kepler needs a chance to do the same. He should play in all the remaining games.
  • wsnydes likes this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

On the topic of bunting, that entire inning irritated the **** out of me.

First, Buxton is something like 26 for 25 in stolen base attempts. Yes, he's better than humanly possible. The official scorer gave him an extra stolen base on May 31st because what the hell, the guy's just that fast and the scorer was a little bit drunk.

So you have the fastest man on the planet, a guy who recently outran SpaceX because he got bored watching one of their satellite launches and wanted to show them what's up, and the hottest hitter on the Twins at the plate.

You send that guy and let Rosario hit the baseball, something he is frighteningly good at lately.

Your point is fine except they brought in a lefty to face Rosario and maybe as much to keep Buxton from stealing. I couldn't find the stats but I know he isn't 25-26 with a lefty on the mound. It was a great bunt and one of the reasons it worked was because it was a lefty on the mound. I think Rosario wanted to move the runner but not convinced he was thinking sacrifice.  1st and 2nd and no outs was a great result.  Some have suggested now was the time to bunt but I was thinking now is the time for a double steal.  Worst case scenario is guy on second with 1 out.  Best case, 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#23 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

Let me add that I love the greatness of these recaps - now the first thing I checkout even if I followed the game.  I am so happy that these 2 young players Rosario and Buxton got to enjoy being the hero in the clutch in these last 2 games. After blowing late leads in each of these games their hits provided such a big turnaround in emotion and in the wild card race. Hopefully gives them and the team a confidence boost going forward. 

• Tom Froemming likes this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,660 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Now Kepler needs a chance to do the same. He should play in all the remaining games.

You can't play Kepler against LH pitching at this point. He's helpless. Sub .400 OPS.
  • SwainZag, h2oface, adorduan and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#25 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Just throwing this out there ...

Runners are 4-for-4 in stolen base attempts against Aaron Loup this season and 13-for-15 since the start of 2014. Their catcher, Luke Maile, is 16-for-51 in throwing guys out over his career (31.4%), which is above league average. 

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

Great win!

Whomever decided to bunt Buxton over was wrong, imo. Whomever decided NOT to bunt Buxton and Rosario over was wrong, imo. If those are the same people, sigh. If they aren't, it is certainly possible the first bunt happened because of culture.....sigh. The "logic" applied in that inning was about as bad as possible in terms of likely win outcomes.

• adorduan, rghrbek, Don Walcott and 2 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#27 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

Do we know that Molly called for the bunt? It looked like Rosario doing it on his own to get a hit. Bad decision either way.

Houston took care of business, and were now up 3!

This. I think there are several hitters on this club that look to bunt for a hit and will do it with a man on base knowing the manager will be ok with it if they don't get on as long as the runner moves over. It can be a weapon, but the Twins may be trying it too often.

I love the patience of this team. 7 more walks last night. It's got to be driving dan barreiro crazy, especially since the team keeps winning, which makes him sound even stupider when he whines about it.

#28 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

I was assembling an Ikea desk during this game...I didn't need anymore frustration at that point so thank you Buck for restoring my sanity. 

• Mike Sixel, ThejacKmp, adorduan and 4 others like this

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

You can't play Kepler against LH pitching at this point. He's helpless. Sub .400 OPS.

Agree. I look forward to reset for Kepler next year against LHs, but it's 100% winning time now.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Dantes929 and 2 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#30 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Counting on the Fed government to bail them out.

I have never heard of this and a quick Google search shows no indication of a bail out from the government. It also doesn't make sense - ESPN employs about 4000 people. That's nothing when it comes to bailouts. They have a miniscule portion of the economy. No one relies on them so there's no domino effect. There's no reason for a bailout.

You have a source? Cuz otherwise I don't believe this at all.

• SwainZag likes this

#31 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I love the patience of this team. 7 more walks last night.

Would anyone have predicted that this team of free swingers would be walking so consistently. I know some people want to get rid of Molly this offseason (and I am very much on the fence with it) but they need to keep James Rowson around. And Rudy Hernandez, his ability to connect with the Spanish speaking guys has to make a profound difference.

#32 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

I don't think there's any way Eddie Rosario, of all people, is ever thinking bunt. Dude oozes confidence, loves the spotlight and had just hit a walk-off homer the previous night. I think he'd have loved the opportunity to hit in that spot. Also, Toronto was prepared for a bunt in that situation (no outs, man on first, one-run game) so trying to bunt for a hit is a poor strategy there. It's not like you were going to catch them off guard.

• Mike Sixel, adorduan, rghrbek and 2 others like this

#33 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

I think this will change in time. He didn't struggle this much against lefties last year or in the minors. This is just a bad time for a guy to learn in the majors. I am confident that in two years Kepler will be playing every day.

• Dantes929 and drjim like this

#34 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Really fun win. Won't miss Molly though. Rosario should be swinging right now. He's just too hot to bunt.

#35 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

So, is there a reason why Sano can't DH and do the same? Sounds like he's got a sore shin. No structural damage that could be furthered by playing through it down the stretch? How badly does he really want to be out there? 

1.) He has a stress reaction, not a sore shin. Stress reactions are the precursor to a stress fracture. Those are no joke in the legs/feet of a big guy like Sano. They ended the careers of NBA players like Yao Ming and Amare (obviously much bigger but same area). This is a serious injury and should be treated as such - it's also something that isn't going to have a concrete timeline.

2.) He can't run without pain. He has to be able to run the bases, not just hit. I think that's the goal - given the Twins DH situation, I'd be surprised if he plays 3B again this season, barring the World Series (!!!!!).

3.) It's frustrating not to have him out there but the team is doing well so I'm okay with them making sure he's healthy enough to be back for the long haul. If the Twins don't make the playoffs, it won't be because Miguel Sano wasn't there.

4.) He's also a franchise-type player so I like erring on the side of caution. I'd be okay resting him until the last five days of the season.

5.) I hear your point about Dick's chat but nothing about Sano makes me think he's a guy who isn't gunning to be out there. He's in the middle of the celebrations, he's always been a guy who loved playing. I gotta think that's Dick, not the Twins or the reality of the situation.

• Mike Sixel, BigSkyTwinsFan, bluechipper and 3 others like this

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Agree. I look forward to reset for Kepler next year against LHs, but it's 100% winning time now.

Absolutely agree... and that includes other things too. Like, I'd love to see Granite and Garver and Curtiss and such play, but at this point, it's 100% about winning in 2018. No concerns about who will or won't be here in 2018. It's about getting to that Wild Card game, and hopefully advancing from there!

• USAFChief, Dantes929, drjim and 3 others like this

#37 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

I don't think there's any way Eddie Rosario, of all people, is ever thinking bunt. Dude oozes confidence, loves the spotlight and had just hit a walk-off homer the previous night. I think he'd have loved the opportunity to hit in that spot. Also, Toronto was prepared for a bunt in that situation (no outs, man on first, one-run game) so trying to bunt for a hit is a poor strategy there. It's not like you were going to catch them off guard.

It might not have been his idea but with a lefty on the mound I am guessing he thought he had a decent chance of getting on by bunting down the 1st base line. I love fast guys bunting for hits.  Its one of the more exciting plays and I don't think major leaguers and particularly pitchers, do a great job of defending it.

#38 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Am I the only one who has watched video of that walk-off like 20 times? 

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

And, I'm listening to Mackey and Judd and Wetmore on 1500 ESPN, and they're all anti-bunt... but I found myself agreeing with a couple of their takes.

1.) Molitor isn't bunting in the 3rd innings.

2.) Bunting will hurt the team's odds of scoring multiple runs, but it can increase the odds of scoring one run, and that's what they want when the score is 2-1. Now, I woudln't do it with any of the good hitters, so I don't want to see Polanco or Rosario doing it, but it's not a black and white thing either. 

3.) Vargas is bad defensively, but we don't know if Garver is a better defensive 1B. We assume so. And, in one of his 2-3 games at 1B, he had a pretty bad error too. 

4.) Vargas had three bad at bats last night, but his previous four at bats were double, homer, homer, double... So, as we do with Sano, we have to (probably just for the rest of the year) accept that he's going to strikeout a lot and is slow. 

5.) I keep seeing people want to see Garver in LF instead of Adrianza. To this point, Adrianza has looked pretty good out in left field and has some good range. I watched a few of the games that Garver played in LF in Rochester. There's not much range. He'll catch what he gets to. But I don't blame them at all for going with Adrianza. 

Like I said, I want to see Garver as much as anyone, but there's no question we will... It may come in a pinch hitting opportunity, but more likely, it'll be in 2018 and beyond. 

As noted above, it's all about doing what they think is best for 2017 right now. And, Molitor isn't making decisions on his own. He's got a couple of very smart guys in Vavra and Pickler with him, and we know that Falvey and Levine and Adler are talking to Molitor every day too. They're all in this together. 

• ThejacKmp, KGB and Tom Froemming like this

#40 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

Just throwing this out there ...

Runners are 4-for-4 in stolen base attempts against Aaron Loup this season and 13-for-15 since the start of 2014. Their catcher, Luke Maile, is 16-for-51 in throwing guys out over his career (31.4%), which is above league average. 

Great stat and TY but what is Buxton's success rate against lefties?  Also, this strengthens the case that statistically Buxton should have tried stealing instead of sacrificing but do you think he knew those stats at the time?  All he sees is a lefty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, trevor hildenberger, jose berrios, matt belisle, jorge polanco