Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Parise's Back

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:13 AM

The stuff came out yesterday about Parise's back bothering him, and he could miss the beginning of camp.

Hopefully it's mostly just being cautious, and not a big deal.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Didn't Parise miss games last season because of his back? Not ideal for a 33 year old to experience back injuries... The decline in his game may be rapid for him, and the Wild are still on the hook for another 6-7 years.

#3 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Praise needs to adapt. If he thinks he can keep it up as a crash the net grinder type, he's cooked. If he becomes more of a two-way hustle guy, the wild will continue to get value from him near or through the end of his contract.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#4 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Didn't Parise miss games last season because of his back? Not ideal for a 33 year old to experience back injuries... The decline in his game may be rapid for him, and the Wild are still on the hook for another 6-7 years.

He has a herniated disc which he opted to rehab instead of surgery. He'll deal with back issues the rest of his career, likely.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

He has a herniated disc which he opted to rehab instead of surgery. He'll deal with back issues the rest of his career, likely.

I mean, I don't blame him for choosing rehab over surgery. Especially when it comes to your back, surgery should be the absolute last option. 

#6 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

I mean, I don't blame him for choosing rehab over surgery. Especially when it comes to your back, surgery should be the absolute last option.

Agreed, just saying don't be surprised if he misses time every year because of his back.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#7 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Contractually speaking, it might be for the best. You can put him on LTIR for the end of his contract, and the parts where him retiring would really hurt the team, they wouldn't be in as much of a cap bind. The team still has to pay him, but you would probably be paying him anyways to come around and do stuff with the team PR wise (though, you'd pay him way less for that).

I hate to see him hurt though. One of my favorite players to watch. It most likely will be something that he misses a little time for every year, like Twins33 said.

#8 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Praise needs to adapt. If he thinks he can keep it up as a crash the net grinder type, he's cooked. If he becomes more of a two-way hustle guy, the wild will continue to get value from him near or through the end of his contract.

Crash the net grinder or two-way hustle guys are not value at 7.5 mil annually....especially for 8 more years.

Sorry.

The only thing that was ever going to bring value to that contract was winning the Cup sometime during the first 5 years of it. Time is running out and it doesn't look like he'll bring anywhere near the level of contribution that was expected. 

#9 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Crash the net grinder or two-way hustle guys are not value at 7.5 mil annually....especially for 8 more years.

Sorry.

The only thing that was ever going to bring value to that contract was winning the Cup sometime during the first 5 years of it. Time is running out and it doesn't look like he'll bring anywhere near the level of contribution that was expected.

Did not intend to suggest they would get full value, just some. Alternative to no value.
  • twinsnorth49 likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

Did not intend to suggest they would get full value, just some. Alternative to no value.

Fair enough, maybe they can convert his pay to CDN funds. That might get close.

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

1) There is no such thing as a human that USED to have back problems. That's a life sentence.

2) Under no circumstances where were the Wild ever going to get any value out of the last few years of that contract.
Like North was getting at, they made a deal with the devil and time is running out.

#12 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

I am a huge Parise fan.  My favorite Wild player.

• Twins33 likes this