Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins 2017 Minor League Starting Pitcher Of The Year

minnesota twins stephen gonsalves
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

My first impression from this list is that there was a little "Prospect Bias" to some of the voting by just looking purely at the stats provided. There is plenty of room for argument about what could be some shuffling of rankings. What a closer examination reveals to me is that while there were several pitchers showing mid to back of the rotation stuff, no one just came out and completely blew us away like Berrios and Gonsalves have done previously. There appears to be a lot of hope. I hope that some of the hope turns into more than just hope. Please, someone, blow us away next Spring...

#22 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

So next year Rochester has Gonsalves, Romero, Slegers, Jorge and LIttell? Seems good. 

• dbminn likes this

#23 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

I can't understand how Thorpe didn't get votes. He has better underlying numbers than nearly every guy that did. I also don't get the lack of love for Turley at all.

Jeremy is the only voter that is even close to right, imo. I say give Jeremy more power :)

But instead of more power they cut the draft show on KFAN and refuse to give me the TD Twitter password!

Talk about a lack of appreciation. :P

(I'm joking. If you can't sense I'm joking, I'm telling you again, "I'm joking.")
  • Mike Sixel and Tom Froemming like this

#24 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

More encouraged than I have been for some time when looking at the SP option and depth in the system. And as mentioned, the list doesn't include Beeker, Jorge or Stewart.

My best guess to begin 2018?

FA/trade
Santana
Berrios
Gibson
Mejia

They absolutely will, and should, make one move. Gibson really seems to have turned a corner mentally and mechanically and will not cost much to be brought back on a 1 year deal for depth. And this doesn't include May making a comeback.

My projection doesn't include Slegers, or Gonsalves simply due to depth, but they will be in the conversation and fight for jobs. I just see them opening in AAA initially.

Think about Rochester with Slegers, Gonsalves, Romero, Beeker and Jorge. Wow!

I like that plan, Gibson and Mejia will have to pitch well just to stay in the rotation because hopefully those guys in AAA will be pushing real hard.

(and if Gibson starts next year like he did this year, I would cut him)

#25 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Part of my reasoning for him at #1, is he was Maddux-like.

I'd settle for a pitcher like that on the Twins staff!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, stephen gonsalves