Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: MIN 16, SDP 0: Twins Hit 7 HRs, Set New Record

jason castro kyle gibson brian dozier jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,261 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

You might see Kyle Gibson toss six innings of shutout ball with six K's.

since you are on the topic of the paranormal, we may as well add UFOs and Big Foot sightings to the list.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#42 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

FIP versus ERA. Archer is underperforming his FIP by almost three-quarters of a run this season.

Is there a theory as to why there's a big difference this year? Random variance? Bad defense? 

#43 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

will the real Kyle Gibson please stand up?

Fangraphs (Rotographs) had an article on this and concluded his recent results are pretty much a reflection of the teams he's faced. Not everyone agrees but I think the evidence generally supports the idea that he hasn't really changed.

Gibson's overall 2017 line is now a near carbon copy of his 2016. That's who he is . . . a borderline 5th starter at best.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Is there a theory as to why there's a big difference this year? Random variance? Bad defense? 

It appears random variance, at least from a glance. Archer has been relatively consistent with FIP/ERA over the course of his career and the Rays are a good defensive team.

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,189 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

This is what makes baseball amazing.

Another amazing baseball stat broken today.... Cleveland 21 wins in a row. 

• Mike Sixel and snepp like this

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Two big moves make the Twins a legit contender next year.

1--sign Moustakas or Hosmer (especially if there is no qualifying offer attached)
2--trade Gordon, two out of Gonsalves/Romero/Thorpe, and a bullpen prospect TB likes for Archer.

Your rotation is Archer, Santana, Berrios, Mejia, Gibson

Your lineup is Dozier, Mauer, Hosmer/Moustakas, Sano, Rosario, Kepler, Buxton, Polanco, Castro/Garver

Your bullpen is still an issue, but the easiest one to fix, and as long as it's not a dumpster fire, 95 wins is a real possibility.

Given the choice, I'd prefer Moustakas over Hosmer. Clearly, the Twins need a plan B at third. Miguel Sano has not started even 80 games there this year. Escobar has filled in admirably, but I really have a hard time beliving he is a .766 OPS, almost 20 HR guy - if he finishes that high, it would be a career best.

He's certainly not the 1.100 OPS guy that we've seen in September.

#47 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Fangraphs (Rotographs) had an article on this and concluded his recent results are pretty much a reflection of the teams he's faced. Not everyone agrees but I think the evidence generally supports the idea that he hasn't really changed.

Gibson's overall 2017 line is now a near carbon copy of his 2016. That's who he is . . . a borderline 5th starter at best.

This is what I am afraid of. people are going to get overly excited about The Tease, only to have him fail us once again. It's super hard to trust that Kyle Gibson can be a reliable starter over a full season.

#48 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

This is what I am afraid of. people are going to get overly excited about The Tease, only to have him fail us once again. It's super hard to trust that Kyle Gibson can be a reliable starter over a full season.

On the other hand, that's what a fifth starter is. 30 teams, 5 starters, minimum, Kyle is probably in the 80-100 range of all starters this year.

I just looked at fangraphs pitching leaders for starters, min 30 innings, and Gibson in #96 on the list by fWAR and #92 by xfip. Others in that area include Matt Moore, Cole Hamels (he's having a bad year), JC Ramirez, Ryu, Wade Miley by fWAR and Jordan Montgomery, Jose Berrios and Kevin Gausman by xfip.  Sure, you'd like to have five starters who all are better than that but it's not normal, especially for lower payroll markets. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, kyle gibson, brian dozier, jorge polanco, eddie rosario